Apparently I'm a Racist!

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    kelsen wrote:
    merkin wrote:
    is that your phone number greg?
    and address?

You might find a lot of takeaways turning up at your doorstep tonight! :lol:

[Lloyd Grossman voice] Would Greg live in a house like this? [/Lloyd Grossman vocie]
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    kelsen wrote:
    merkin wrote:
    and address?

You might find a lot of takeaways turning up at your doorstep tonight! :lol:

[Lloyd Grossman voice] Would Greg live in a house like this? [/Lloyd Grossman vocie]
    This feels wrong.
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    I know what you mean NSB...

By all means show everyone his house... but expose the guy as a BMW driver. Sheesh. Too low.
  • Phone number googles as a recruitment place. I would hope that someone who should be as rich as Greg would live in a flasher pad than that. You London types pay waaaay too much for property. :lol:
  • I think singing puppets say it best:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MSCwOuY ... ure=fvwrel
  • rick_chasey
    Phone number googles as a recruitment place. I would hope that someone who should be as rich as Greg would live in a flasher pad than that. You London types pay waaaay too much for property. :lol:

It's a direct line for an accountancy counsultant called matt ****.

Won't give his surname, since that's quite harsh.

He's only been in recruitment for 4 years. Was at Fortnum & Mason customer service beforehand.

No higher education > but he did do History A level.
  • clarkey cat
    exactly what barriers to entry are there for the recruitment industry?
  • exactly what barriers to entry are there for the recruitment industry?

One question: How low are you willing to sink?
  • rick_chasey

I will not take sh!t about a job I took having applied for 300 other jobs beforehand, after I graduated in the worst recession in 80 years :p

Lose lose. Either I take sh!t for being a dole monkey or sh!t for being in recruitment :P

(in answer to your question, in case that's not clear, none...)
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I got no problems with Indians, some of my best mates are Indian and I love the food.

:lol: thanks constable savage
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • clarkey cat
    Rick - steady on, mate. I'm not having a pop. Some of my best friends are recruitment consultants.

And don't forget - as low as you and your kind are... there is always someone lower.

Foxtons%20mini.jpg
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756

Isn't the selection process a bit like that scene in Saw where there are two people locked in a room that will kill them within say, 5 minutes, if they don't get out. They're then told that they each have had a copy of the key that unlocks the door surgically implanted in their chests and are given a butter knife each. The one that shows the most task focused initiative gets the job.
  • rick_chasey
    Rick - steady on, mate. I'm not having a pop. Some of my best friends are recruitment consultants.

Possibly looked more angry than it was intended(!)

Ah, so much for having the big 10,000 (when the cloud open and I rise up through a stream of light to a better place, a place where there are no bus drivers, or stranger-wheel suckers, or punctures, or people who are just that bit too fast for me), shrouded in dignity!
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    When I've had to call Lloyds TSB I've had no problem understanding them. ofc that's probably due to the fact the call centre is 10 miles away :wink:
  • clarkey cat
    I hope you don't feel that your 10,000th wasn't cheapened by having to respond to such a puerile post.

Well done, though.
  • merkin wrote:

Yes, yes, that's right, it is.

Of course, (a) I use an anonymous username on here so inevitably I'd post my address and phone number; (b) I commute along the Embankment in the same direction as the west Londoners even though I live in Gillingham in Kent; (c) I can't spell my own address (Alison v Allison); and (d) despite living in the arse end of beyond I have an 0207 home phone number.

It's as if I've wandered into an episode of Sherlock :wink:

Nevertheless, I am partial to crispy aromatic duck (extra hoisin never goes amiss), beef in black bean sauce and singapore fried noodles, if anyone wants to give it a go.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    Greg66 wrote:
    merkin wrote:

Of course, (a) I use an anonymous username on here so inevitably I'd post my address and phone number; (b) I commute along the Embankment in the same direction as the west Londoners even though I live in Gillingham in Kent; (c) I can't spell my own address (Alison v Allison); and (d) despite living in the ars* end of beyond I have an 0207 home phone number.

Nevertheless, I am partial to crispy aromatic duck (extra hoisin never goes amiss), beef in black bean sauce and singapore fried noodles, if anyone wants to give it a go.

Thou doth protest too much.
  • W1 wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    merkin wrote:

Of course, (a) I use an anonymous username on here so inevitably I'd post my address and phone number; (b) I commute along the Embankment in the same direction as the west Londoners even though I live in Gillingham in Kent; (c) I can't spell my own address (Alison v Allison); and (d) despite living in the ars* end of beyond I have an 0207 home phone number.

Thou doth protest too much.

Just for that, the crispy seaweed is on you. :mrgreen:
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • merkin
    merkin Posts: 452
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I got no problems with Indians, some of my best mates are Indian and I love the food
    This line of defence always makes me chuckle. Second only to "I'm not racist but...."
    I swear we will one day hear it in The Hague. :lol:
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat wrote:Rick - steady on, mate. I'm not having a pop. Some of my best friends are recruitment consultants.

This line of defence always makes me chuckle. Second only to "I'm not racist but...."
    I swear we will one day hear it in The Hague.

my usage was of course tongue in cheek.... as if I'd have any recruitment consultant friends.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Vogons - can't stand the green slimy b'stards - come over here demolishing our planet.................. :twisted:
  • Ah - now I love when I get through to the Scottish call centres. They hear my (Scottish) accent and check my London address and then seem to bend over backwards to help me. Presumably they feel sorry for me stuck so far from home... forgetting that I'm here from my own free will!
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Is it racist to expect to be able to understand the person you call at a company? No.

Is it racist to expect the person you call at a company to be English? Yes.

Two different thing IMO
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I work for an Indian company, I have been to India 40 times.

Had to try and make a claim through Norwich Union Direct (as it was) Indian call centre - couldn't understand barely a word, their training was hopeless, my claim was refused but in such an inept manner that the ombudsmen got me compensation for their incompittance equal to my claim!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    As far as banking goes I insist on dealing only with my branch face to face. I won't phone through to call centres because I have such a difficult time of understanding people regardless of if they come from India or Scotland (I rely a lot on lip reading to understand people, so telephones are a no no for me when it's something vitally important)

If we do get calls from Indian call centres, My name is always pronounced wrongly. I mean how difficult it is to say Gale! They also can't cope with the fact that I have a different surname from Jake and insist on calling me Mrs instead of Miss! I will also often get them asking to speak to my 'husband' in that annoying patronizing tone of 'Let me speak to a grown up dear'

The latest one to hit the household is the computer virus scam, where some bloke from India (usually called Kevin or George) will cold call you saying your computer is sending out viruses. They tried it with Jake and asked to speak to 'Mr M******' said indian gent got short thrift from Jake with the response 'There hasn't been a Mister in my family for nearly 300 years, now bugger off and scam someone else'. The phone is usually then slammed down and disconnected :lol:
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,369
    Just how posh is Jake?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    NGale wrote:
    ...They tried it with Jake and asked to speak to 'Mr M******' said indian gent got short thrift from Jake with the response 'There hasn't been a Mister in my family for nearly 300 years, now bugger off and scam someone else'. The phone is usually then slammed down and disconnected :lol:

No Misters in the family for nearly 300 years? Hereditary peerage? Lord High Commander Jake?
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • NGale
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    NGale wrote:
    ...They tried it with Jake and asked to speak to 'Mr M******' said indian gent got short thrift from Jake with the response 'There hasn't been a Mister in my family for nearly 300 years, now bugger off and scam someone else'. The phone is usually then slammed down and disconnected :lol:

No Misters in the family for nearly 300 years? Hereditary peerage? Lord High Commander Jake?

Pretty much, that and the fact that all the men in the family over that period have earned the rank of Commander (or Wing Commander for the RAF members) or above as servicemen at which point you lose the title of Mr and become known by your rank thereafter
  • NGale
    rjsterry wrote:
    Just how posh is Jake?

Too posh for me that's for sure :lol:
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    NGale wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Just how posh is Jake?

Too posh for me that's for sure :lol:

But are you too posh to push. Don't answer that, I'm just taking the pish.
    I think you should get a new bike. How about a Pashley?
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!