OT: Electric Shavers?

2»

Comments

• DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Right, so beard timmer won't give you the wet shave look, right?

Right! What it will give me, however, as I mentioned in my very first post in this thread, is too long a stubbled look. Thanks for your thoughts, though!

Thanks guys. looks like Philishave is winning.
    Yeah but you can get beard trimmers with adjustable lengths. I've had a Wahl one that got close enough to mimick the wet shave look. I've had another that did the stubble thing.

If I wanted stubble I'd actually use shears like you get in the barber, you can adjust the length of the blade or I'd get a beard trimmer that did the same thing but was smaller for more control. - That's how Beckham does it, I'm told.

I know mate, but I'm really not looking for the stubbled look. I couldn't get away with at work for one thing. All I'm really after is that one day after a wet shave look. I guess for a lot of people that will be beard/stubble trimmer length, and I should perhaps have been clearer about this all along, but for me it's a fair bit shorter than that.
    :lol::lol::lol: LMAO I haven't a clue what you're on about.

I mean presumably you would set the length of the beard trimmer from 'stubble' to the 'one day after a wet shave look' setting... (that's 0.5 blade - so not quite full blade 0 and not a number 1 which requires an attachment).

I dare you to find a picture of the desired length. Go on dare ya! :wink:
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • My old electric razor gave up the ghost 12 months ago and I changed to wet shaving for a while. I just find the electric quicker so I bought a 3 head Philips, really pleased with it. It's a Williams F1 branded thing, but I only chose it because it was highly discounted from Argos. Does what it says on the tin...and does it well.
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Right, so beard timmer won't give you the wet shave look, right?

Right! What it will give me, however, as I mentioned in my very first post in this thread, is too long a stubbled look. Thanks for your thoughts, though!

Thanks guys. looks like Philishave is winning.
    Yeah but you can get beard trimmers with adjustable lengths. I've had a Wahl one that got close enough to mimick the wet shave look. I've had another that did the stubble thing.

If I wanted stubble I'd actually use shears like you get in the barber, you can adjust the length of the blade or I'd get a beard trimmer that did the same thing but was smaller for more control. - That's how Beckham does it, I'm told.

I know mate, but I'm really not looking for the stubbled look. I couldn't get away with at work for one thing. All I'm really after is that one day after a wet shave look. I guess for a lot of people that will be beard/stubble trimmer length, and I should perhaps have been clearer about this all along, but for me it's a fair bit shorter than that.
    :lol::lol::lol: LMAO I haven't a clue what you're on about.

I mean presumably you would set the length of the beard trimmer from 'stubble' to the 'one day after a wet shave look' setting... (that's 0.5 blade - so not quite full blade 0 and not a number 1 which requires an attachment).

I dare you to find a picture of the desired length. Go on dare ya! :wink:

How about you just trust me that the length my Babyliss i-trim on its lowest setting (yes, 0.5mm) left me with was longer than I want (for me, equivelant to about 3 day's growth). If you can't do that then I would suggest you move on and let the matter drop. It's really not worth you worrying yourself about.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    WOW! That's a bit unfriendly like.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • DonDaddyD wrote:

I'm sorry if it came off that way; that was not my intention. Thanks for your thoughts.
  • DonDaddyD wrote:

I'm sorry if it came off that way; that was not my intention. Thanks for your thoughts.

i know totally what you mean JT. Blade shave is very close and can last me a week which at the end is 1-2 mm stubble. Dry shave leaves me with 1-2 by wed/thurs.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • DonDaddyD wrote:

i know totally what you mean JT. Blade shave is very close and can last me a week which at the end is 1-2 mm stubble. Dry shave leaves me with 1-2 by wed/thurs.
    Lucky you... mines at least 1mm within 24h so I have to shave every day. I can grow a respectable beard in less than a couple of weeks... just wish that level of growth was on top of my head not underneath it :(
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • DonDaddyD wrote:

Yeah, I guess our beard growth is variable and I can get away with more than many given that a lot of mine is now white (It was massively premature greying once-upon-a-time). It's more that I look a bit like I've been treated to a good, hard face slapping post wet shave and that a day or two's growth gives my cheeks a bit of fake definition. It all sounds so vain, but if it's what the little lady wants... (that's a reference to my girlfriend and not my penis btw).
  • I use one of these. Had it about a over a year now, hasnt let me down, cut my face, ploughs through my face field one a week easily enough. I havent wet shaved except for weddings and funerals since getting it. Mrs MonkeyCowboy uses it to cut my hair. Bargain in my eyes at £18 along with the other 227 good reviews on amazon.
  • Without wanting to sound like a ponce - well, I know that I will but I'll carry on regardless - I switched to shaving with a traditional double edged razor a few months back and, for the first week while I was learning, I did a single pass with the growth of the beard. This wasn't that close so I had a fair amount of stubble by the time a came home from work. Perhaps this might give you the shave you are looking for, and it is sooo much cheaper than an electric razor: my razor was £15, a good brush is £10, a soap stick is a quid and Tesco sells reasonable blades at £2 for 10... Oh and you probably want to add a styptic pencil to the list... ;-)

_
  • mitb
    mitb Posts: 78
    I’m pretty sure I want exactly the same as you Jonny, not freshly shaven but not Mark Webber. I also have one of those Philishave Williams F1 jobbies and it’s the best electric shaver I ever used, very close to a wet shave without the...wetness (and bleeding, I may be sensitive but back when I wet shaved every day with a decent razor I still p/ssed blood out my face, day in day out..who can be screwed with that??).

This seems too simple given all the previous comments and I wonder if I’m missing something but I have found the best solution is to use the very effective electric razor but shave the night before (before brushing teeth, got to be dry face for electric). Slight shadow the next morning, short stubble the end of the day. Perfect, for me. If you wet shave the night before I think you’d still be too close the next morning, even Jonny ‘Chewbacca’ Trousers, but that might be worth a try before you shell out any cash.

And barber clippers hurt like **** on your face. Don’t do it. The flip up beard trimmers on electric razors give a good ‘controlled stubble’ but unless you have a tiny little face it takes way too long!