OT: Electric Shavers?

jonny_trousers
jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
edited February 2012 in Commuting chat
Any recommendations?

The only time I've used an electric in the past was over twenty years ago and it nearly ripped my face off. For a while now, however, I've only really shaved about twice a week, as my girlfriend likes me with a bit of stubble. I did buy a Babyliss stubble trimmer a while ago with the view to just keeping it the same length, but even on it's shortest setting it looked like I was trying, and failing, to get that George Michael in the 80s look, so I got shot of it. And so, I quite fancy an electric again to save on razors and the hassle of wet shaving, but one that is comfortable to use, yet doesn't offer the closeness of a wet shave. A comfortable, but inefectual shaver, I guess.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Comments

• prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    The only one I can think of that might be any good is this one
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/BaByliss-Men-78 ... B003N7NIUG

But i'm assuming this is what you had.

How about a crappy foil one, probably be quite patchy though.

Or a decent set of barbers clippers?
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,771
    Got a Braun one for Christmas . It's rubbish, not how you want though. It just completely misses some hairs.
    Philishave I had before was better.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Tried to swap from wet to electric a few years ago. Don't try it you'll hate it. That's not a problem with electric as such just a comment about changing from one method to another.....
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • walkingbootweather
    walkingbootweather Posts: 2,443
    edited February 2012
    Prefer to wet shave myself. Haven't yet found anything powered that is able to cope with my rough stubble. Might try this next....

extreme_shaving-thumb.jpg

Presumably this is the sort of thing that you tried? Shame it didn't work for you because it is quite well reviewed and half price at the moment.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • have always used electric as hate wet shaving and got a sensitive face. have used all brands and the top models of each. my experience is that the top end panasonics are by far the best. really comfortable, no irritation and close. a bit noisey though. i didn't like the top end braun at all - slow and not very close and more irritating than panasonic.

the panasonic is wet or dry.
  • i have the Philips Aquatouch AT890, works well wet or dry. I used to have Brauns in the past but found they were increasingly less reliable/effective...
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I've used Philishave for years. I find there is a knack to using them - need a dry face, always against the growth, pull skin tight in certain spots, works pretty well for me. Takes ages though, especially on a Monday morning fter a no-shave weekend, hence I have grown a beard!
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    cant stand em!

i bought a phillips 3 headed shaver (i like the colour - see through blue & green)

you could use it in the shower an it oozed Nivea moisturiser

i used it for 2 weeks an suffered for two weeks with razor burn

i stick to wet shaves now - closer an no burny
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • I've used Braun all my adult life - I've no complaints even after a weekend of not shaving. Won't give you a "stubble look" though.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Phillishave 3 head £120 odd bracket about 5 years ago. That and a remington beard trimmer that i use more often to take the stuble down to allowable length. Don't often close shave - more likely to see me in stubble of some length or other
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • I've used Braun all my adult life - I've no complaints even after a weekend of not shaving. Won't give you a "stubble look" though.

Thanks, but I'm not really looking for a "stubble look". I just don't want as close a shave as wet offers.

Thanks for the thoughts all. I see Panasonic get decent reviews. I might try one at around 50 quid and if it's no good then it won't be the end of the world.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    The good thing about Philishave (can't comment on other brands) is that the top end shaver heads can be found on relatively cheap models (e.g. £50-£60). You pay more for features like quick charge, more LED's etc which you don't really need. Never been convinced about a wet electric shave, key for me is keeping skin nice and dry e.g. shave before you shower / wash, and don't go too close. The pop up beard trimmer is fine for a bit of designer stubble too!
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Jeez guys, how hard is it to wet your face, put a bit of foam on it, and drag a blade over once?
  • BigMat wrote:
    The good thing about Philishave (can't comment on other brands) is that the top end shaver heads can be found on relatively cheap models (e.g. £50-£60). [\quote]

This - so the 120 was in half price sale. Self cleaning and all that bollocks is naff. I am quite a sensitive chap - that is am, not have btw Greg T. Being able to clean the heads using water is very handy indeed. Being able to use it while charging also. More than a few sales on atm - especially on amazon.
  • DonDaddyD
    Rick, he wants stubble, that permanent Saturday stubble look that the girls dig.

I used to do that while at Uni, back then I only needed to shave once a week, if that, before any growth came through and I don't get hair around my chicks, just chin whiskers.

Currently I shave twice a week with a Gillette Fusion proglide razor and either the Gillette Toughbeard gel or Wilkinson Sword Hydro gel (my preferred choice).
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Rick, he wants stubble, that permanent Saturday stubble look that the girls dig.

Surely you want a beard trimmer then?
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    I used to do that while at Uni, back then I only needed to shave once a week, if that, before any growth came through and I don't get hair around my chicks, just chin whiskers.
    Currently I shave twice a week with a Gillette Fusion proglide razor and either the Gillette Toughbeard gel or Wilkinson Sword Hydro gel (my preferred choice).

Hah, DonDaddyBabyFaceD shaves twice a week. Which bits?
  • veronese68
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I don't get hair around my chicks.
    Does the Mrs know about the chicks?
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    edited February 2012
    I am quite a sensitive chap - that is am, not have btw Greg T.

Of course, your chap is as insensitive as a Rhino with Aespergers.

I'd recommend extreme caution when shaving using either wet or electric shaving methods, especially when getting at those "hard to get to" regions. I find employing someone to pluck the hairs using tweezers whilst reading out loud "Das Kapital" in the original German is the best for for immiediate gratification and long term results.

A liberal dousing of all particpants / plucked areas in Chartreuse will provide a welcome antiseptic and refreshing 55% beverage "post action" as it were.

Let me know how you get on
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • DonDaddyD
    Veronese68 wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Shite I meant to say cheeks!
    Food Chain number = 4

• DonDaddyD wrote:

Surely you want a beard trimmer then?

Um, no. I've already said a couple of times that I just don't want that wet-shaved look.
  • DonDaddyD
    Right, so beard timmer won't give you the wet shave look, right?
    Food Chain number = 4

• veronese68
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Shite I meant to say cheeks!
    Thought so, just made me chuckle.
  • Jeez guys, how hard is it to wet your face, put a bit of foam on it, and drag a blade over once?

Harder than wandering around the house shaving and getting on with some of the other chores of the morning. The "joy" of an electric razor is no need for a mirror (more of a joy for some of us than others....)
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    Philishave wet and dry thingy one, it's great but only used it wet once and it gets through the tough stuff my beard growth masquerades as
  • DonDaddyD wrote:

Right! What it will give me, however, as I mentioned in my very first post in this thread, is too long a stubbled look. Thanks for your thoughts, though!

Thanks guys. looks like Philishave is winning.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Right! What it will give me, however, as I mentioned in my very first post in this thread, is too long a stubbled look. Thanks for your thoughts, though!

Yeah but you can get beard trimmers with adjustable lengths. I've had a Wahl one that got close enough to mimick the wet shave look. I've had another that did the stubble thing.

If I wanted stubble I'd actually use shears like you get in the barber, you can adjust the length of the blade or I'd get a beard trimmer that did the same thing but was smaller for more control. - That's how Beckham does it, I'm told.
    Food Chain number = 4

• DonDaddyD wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Yeah but you can get beard trimmers with adjustable lengths. I've had a Wahl one that got close enough to mimick the wet shave look. I've had another that did the stubble thing.

If I wanted stubble I'd actually use shears like you get in the barber, you can adjust the length of the blade or I'd get a beard trimmer that did the same thing but was smaller for more control. - That's how Beckham does it, I'm told.

I know mate, but I'm really not looking for the stubbled look. I couldn't get away with at work for one thing. All I'm really after is that one day after a wet shave look. I guess for a lot of people that will be beard/stubble trimmer length, and I should perhaps have been clearer about this all along, but for me it's a fair bit shorter than that.
  • One point to make

Don't pay anything more than HALF PRICE for any electric razor. They seem to be a product that is permanently on offer (a bit like sofas and Halfords tools)