Vienna or Prague ??

2»

Comments

• finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    APIII wrote:
    Bratislava was beautiful but very small, so you would run out of things to do quite quickly. It may well have changed though!

It hasn't.

One more reason for Budapest. Go there and you're just a short train/bus/boat journey from Visegrad

visegrad_var.jpg

and Esztergom

esztergom-12.jpg

Mind you, Prague's not too bad for travelling either - not too far from Hradec Kralove

hradec_kralove_poz.jpg

and Cesky Raj (Czech Paradise) - sorry, my computer's just slowed down, can't put up any more pictures.

Upper - not that I want to make your choice any more difficult, but have you considered Slovenia? Best thing about it is that there is so much to see packed into a really tiny little country.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    yocto wrote:
    If you go to Vienna make sure you go to the Schonbrunn palace. Both the palace and grounds are pretty amazing (though I imagine the grounds are better in the summer).
    +1. The coffee and strudel in the cafe are sublime! Pricey mind you.
    Also Grinzing for wine. Don't stop at the first few places mind you, too touristy.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Another few tips for Vienna - don't forget to drink sturm and most.

If you go in the summertime, there is a section of the Danube which has been sectioned off for water sports. Swimming in there on a hot day is one of life's great simple pleasures.

Climbing to the top of St Stephen's church (Stephansdom) is well worth the couple of euros.

If you need to go to the toilet during your trip, the best place to go is the Wien Sudbahnhof station - quite possibly the classiest place in which I'll ever throw up. :oops:
  • upperoilcan
    upperoilcan Posts: 1,180
    Thanks again for the great replies....

And no john,ive not considered Slovenia as an option as i dont really know too much about it,I think it's going to be between Prague and Rome.

Ive now found out that the Mrs hasn't been to either so that's a win as i wanted to go somewhere where neither of us have visited.
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • johnfinch wrote:
    Another few tips for Vienna - don't forget to drink sturm and most.

If you go in the summertime, there is a section of the Danube which has been sectioned off for water sports. Swimming in there on a hot day is one of life's great simple pleasures.

Climbing to the top of St Stephen's church (Stephansdom) is well worth the couple of euros.

If you need to go to the toilet during your trip, the best place to go is the Wien Sudbahnhof station - quite possibly the classiest place in which I'll ever throw up. :oops:

2 Years ago they opened a water ski and board centre on the man made part of the danube, right off the Donaustadtbrucke U-bahn line. Very cool place, and tasty burgers as well. Can watch the watersports from the comfort of a beach.

As well as Schonnbrunn, check out the Zoo next to it, quite small compared to many others, but a fun walk through non-the least and quite cheap.

Vienna is full of wonderful things :D

Also carrying on from what JohnFlinch said, be careful in the u-bahn station toilets. I#ve gone into a few (mainly Karlsplatz and Zieglergasse) and found heroin addicts passed out with needles in their hand.
  • daviesee
    And no john,ive not considered Slovenia as an option as i dont really know too much about it,I think it's going to be between Prague and Rome.
    Either one will be pretty impressive.
    Top tip - Don't eat or drink in the main squares of either. Overpriced.
    You will be stunned by the location of the Trevi Fountain.
    Go to the Vatican and Sistine as early as possible to beat the coach tours.
    Take it easy, chill, absorb the atmosphere and enjoy!
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    Here is some visual assistance:

Wien
    https://picasaweb.google.com/1075746730 ... tureVienna

Praha
    https://picasaweb.google.com/1075746730 ... turePrague

And some curveballs

Olomouc
    https://picasaweb.google.com/1075746730 ... ureOlomouc

Budapest
    https://picasaweb.google.com/1075746730 ... rq-9mvjYKg

Koln
    https://picasaweb.google.com/1075746730 ... ureCologne

Bratislava
    https://picasaweb.google.com/1075746730 ... Bratislava

Plenty more of those places than I saw except for maybe Olomouc which is certainly worth a day trip if you pick Prague.

Also note how bloody cheap the return for 2 between Brno and Bratislava was, it's not much more expensive from Prague, so if you don't mind an early and a late train you can visit in a day, I recommend the UFO, it was only €6 each!
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • Three best cities in the world, Rome, Prague and York. Vienna is impressive but so is Glasgow. Go to Prague but take time to walk off the tourist trail, you'll very quickly find a stunning city behind the puppets and glass. Enjoy.
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    You compare Glasgow and Vienna?

Aye ok fair enough the buildings in both the modern centre and the merchant city and the docks regeneration are impressive, but it's full of Weegies. It was a culture shock when I stepped off the Sleeper in Glasgow Central... Hadn't seen such horribleness since Dundee Station on the way out (I went via Edinburgh on the way down)
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • upperoilcan
    Well after much deliberation i have made the executive decision and decided on Rome...

Roll on September.....
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • daviesee
    Well after much deliberation i have made the executive decision and decided on Rome...

Roll on September.....
    Typical. Ask an either/or question and conclude a completely different answer :wink:

One tip. Be wary of cheap flights. The airport that the budget airlines uses is a long way out of Rome. AFAIK.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,169
    daviesee wrote:

Roll on September.....
    Typical. Ask an either/or question and conclude a completely different answer :wink:

One tip. Be wary of cheap flights. The airport that the budget airlines uses is a long way out of Rome. AFAIK.

It's not that bad, about 45 minutes from memory. I hired a limo when I took the missus for our 10th anniversary, nice Merc E Class, and it was very reasonable (not much more than a taxi).
  • upperoilcan
    daviesee wrote:

Roll on September.....

LOL....thanks Dave,it was a decision that was not taken lightly,and i believe i will be flying to Fiumicino (FCO) and will need to get a Taxi/Limo to and from the airport......
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.