A New Challenge

2»

Comments

• DonutDad
    DonutDad Posts: 104
    Thanks a lot for taking the time to reply so fully Bordersroadie.
    It is inspiring indeed to to know there are people in the same boat as me - and well on their achieving their goals! It gives me great hope that I can do it (although the timescale is a bit tight). I bet it feels like you've never been away

The guy at the bike shop did a great job of taking me through the bike, with me on a turbo trainer, and adjusted a few things. I was actually there nearly 2 hours altogether (buying shoes, jacket, pedals too) so I have no complaints there. We did't get into alternative saddles though, so that'll be worth thinking about once I see how the stock kit goes. Single sided pedals are (literally) a pain already, so used to my mtb spuds, even after not using them so much lately. they are so slippy too, I'm sure I'll work it out, but at the minute I'm a right liability at junctions if i have to stop.

An HR monitor makes sense too, thanks, I've got one somewhere I'll have to dig out - I used it a few years ago when I spent all my spare time on a rowing machine - really useful when you can dictate the pace and maybe best used on a trainer (net purchase maybe, when it gets harder to fit in the miles/frequency as they increase?)

How long did it take you to get up to 60 miles ? it seems such a long way off just now - only done 3 x 6 miles and a couple of 10s in 2 weeks so far - only one of them on my road bike, so early days, but I should be able to get out 3/4 times a week. Having made the decision, I'm hooked already! It's amazing how quickly you get hungry for it again. Now I just need the knackered old body to catch up.

I haven't begun to think about nutrition yet (that cool beer was lovely after this evening's 10 miles :wink: ), but I too am reading and googling everything I can think of - I do like a nice bit of research.

I was thinking about writing a blog by way of having a record and keeping a few people up to date. I think it would be good to keep track of others who are attempting something similar. Not sure if there's anywhere on here to do such a thing, but I could certainly start a thread and put my link on and see if others do the same. then we could keep track of each others progress and offer encouragement etc. Always fancied a blog but never had anything to write before...

anyway, just realised the time :shock: watched match of the day then had a 'quick browse' on here and it's suddenly 1am. I'm off.
    If you are interested in the above idea, keep an eye out for a thread in Road Beginners

Hope you are well soon - and good luck with your rides!
  • DonutDad wrote:
    I bet it feels like you've never been away
    It does now. On days when I'm going well, it really does give a huge nostalgia rush. The reality of the imminent Fred Whitton event looms large though, so it's a case of knuckling down and realising that I'm not a fit 20 something anymore.
    DonutDad wrote:
    We did't get into alternative saddles though, so that'll be worth thinking about once I see how the stock kit goes.
    Totally agree, don't rush out and buy a new one, but something to bear in mind if you don't get on with it.
    DonutDad wrote:
    How long did it take you to get up to 60 miles ?
    I've been back on the bike regularly for 9 months now but spent the first 5 of these doing 10 then 20 milers and a 24 mile round trip commute three times a week. I only upped the mileage in recent months. The main difference with a longer ride is pacing and getting enough food and drink, the lower-mileage rides can give you a good base for the longer rides. If you're not sure how far to go, try a longer route that comes near your house half way so that you can bail out if needed.

I genuinely think your 104 mile event in end June is doable if you (a) apply yourself to training in a planned way (b) stay healthy and (c) know what pace you will do the event in, and stick to this pace on the day. Completeing it will be a massive achievement but you must do it at a safe pace for you. Maybe next year you can do it quicker. At some point later in your training, if you're able to, I'd definitely do a recce of the route maybe by car and ride at least some of the hills to get a proper feel for it.
    DonutDad wrote:
    Now I just need the knackered old body to catch up.
    Steady on, young man, less of the old! Seriously though, top tip - post ride stretching is essential. I forgot last week after a 48 miler and my hamstrings have given me jip until even today.
    DonutDad wrote:
    Hope you are well soon - and good luck with your rides
    The lurgy's abating, thanks. Hopefully get out tomorrow for a shortish ride. Good luck with yours. I'd be happy to chip in on a "back on the bike" type thread (this one's doing fine, come to think. . .).
  • DonutDad
    I genuinely think your 104 mile event in end June is doable if you ... (b) stay healthy
    Pah, now I've gone and got myself a chest infection.
    I have exercise-induced asthma, but using the inhaler before I start usually negates it. Struggled with it a bit on the last couple of rides, as well as being increasingly affected off the bike, so went to the docs this morning.
    Antibiotics started today, hopefully I'll be cleared up in a few days but it's REALLY annoying.

On this new cycling kick I've only managed a grand total of 46 miles so far in 2 weeks, with one problem or another (broken bike and bad chest).
    Steady on, young man, less of the old! Seriously though, top tip - post ride stretching is essential. I forgot last week after a 48 miler and my hamstrings have given me jip until even today.
    haha fair enough - I guess the point of any mid-life crisis is to feel younger... :shock:
    So the next few days will be off the bike again. I'm going to get to grips with various stretching and strength exercises i can do in the house, so I still feel like I'm doing something, then I can put them into practice as I go on. Now if I had a turbo trainer, I could just sit and spin to keep me legs moving. would help the mind stay involved too. hmmm....

On the huge upside, I did my usual (only second time) 10 mile route yesterday (inc. 600ft of climbing) - I did the first one on the mtb - and I smashed a whole 9 minutes off my time by using the road bike (with a chest infection). Totally amazing! I do think I tried harder cos I wanted to prove the bike was worth the cash, but it just goes to show what's possible. Power transfer is incredible when it's not being lost through fat knobbly tyres and suspension, as well as an obviously poor riding position, now that I've had it done properly. My max speed was only 1.5 mph greater, but the average was much better thanks to maintaining good momentum on the hills. I always did love a good climb, that's the draw for me. As I improve, I'm going to keep coming back to this ride for a new time to impress myself with how much I've improved from the beginning.

I'd say the bike is paying for itself already, in smiles :mrgreen:
  • Bad luck on the lurgy!

I remember the first time I rode a proper road bike, a very long time ago, it was amazing to ride, so I understand your amazement!

As I said, you have to plan in a bit of illness to your training plan, all the same it's extremely frustrating. Coincidentally I have exercise induced asthma as well, but a coupe of shots of blue beforehand see me okay for a big ride.
  • Hi DD & Bordersroadie

Another parallel life going on down here in the east: 41, unfit and overweight, returning to riding after 25 years. In Sept last year I took the plunge and also bought the Cannondale Synapse Tiagra. I did buy online but in hindsight would have happily paid extra to buy from a LBS just to get help in setting it up for my shape.
    I have committed to riding the Dunwich Dynamo with a couple of work colleagues. This event is 120 miles overnight from Hackney to Dunwich at the end of June. There is no entry fee or times, medals or officials; it is purely for the distance, personal times and fun of riding with mates on a challenge.

Apart from a few rides towards the back-end of last year I am effectively starting from scratch. Initially I was struggling to get around a 5-mile loop and still stand upright at the end (also asthmatic) but soon I tackled a 20-mile loop. The first 6-7 miles were painful and I didn't know how I could finish it but then it seemed to get easier and by the time I reached the 14 mile distance I felt that I could keep going far longer.
    This happened again on a 30-mile loop with the low-ebb occurring at around the 7 mile mark. It seems that once I get over that initial hurdle it all becomes far easier. For me it isn't all about the speed (although I cannot beat the time of my first 20-miler) but extending the distance; I think the speed will improve naturally.

Post-ride stretching or 'warm-down' has also helped me but I would like to pass on a suggestion from a footballer friend of mine: cold showers. Now I hated the thought of this so I tried just rinsing my legs with cold at the end of a hot shower and it worked amazingly well; no cramps, aches or sensations whatsoever.

Chaps, I hope your training goes well and wish all the best in your events.
  • DonutDad
    A lot of us about it seems, I wonder what it is...
    I haven't been do any stretching, must get round to it. I've certainly had very stiff thighs for a couple of days, and my feet have been cramping. Cold showers sounds a good idea too. well. cool maybe.
    I have committed to riding the Dunwich Dynamo with a couple of work colleagues. This event is 120 miles overnight from Hackney to Dunwich at the end of June.
    That sounds epic. I did the coast to coast once on mtbs in my youth, setting off at 1am and took us 17.5 hours (we stopped for a good breakfast on the way). I distinctly remember a period about 4 hours in, when I got dropped off the back of the group a bit and was left alone, on a quiet road, a silent night with a full moon and a sky full of stars. I just let them go, I put my front light off, and had about 45 minutes of the best cycling I've ever experienced before I reeled them back in.
    IThe first 6-7 miles were painful and I didn't know how I could finish it but then it seemed to get easier and by the time I reached the 14 mile distance I felt that I could keep going far longer.
    It was exactly as you describe, as the low ebb drifted away, I felt like I could sit like that and ride forever.
    That was until we hit 6am, torrential rain and a 5 mile climb over the Pennines to contend with. Talk about a reality check. Yuck!

I'm looking forward to finding that extra stamina again. My 10 mile ride is a return journey to a crossroad 5 miles from here. I'm looking froward to the day I turn left and come back the long way, rather than being ready for a break before the return leg as I do at the moment. well, I've only done it twice so far, but it feels like a routine.
    Like you say, with our rides being relatively soon, distance has to be the priority. If I get round and post a time, then next year will be the one to try and improve it.

Best of luck with the Dunwich Dynamo, I hope it's start of a new relationship with cycling that last years to come.
  • scottarm
    scottarm Posts: 119
    you'll be fine

attached is run we did last year, it has a ten week training plan devised you can follow designed for zero base fitness

key thing is to get miles under your belt, keep hydrated on the day with iso drinks to avoid cramps and stock up on carbs a few days before and food on the day

http://www.lapthelough.org/index.php/site/train/
  • DonutDad
    thanks for that scottarm, that's a neat website they have for that ride.
    The one I'm doing simply says "If you have to ask about training, you shouldn't be doing the ride".

I'll show my colleagues that plan. we do have a similar spreadsheet for 3 of us to fill in, with a plan one of us devised - it'll be interesting to compare them and maybe combine them. we don't have a column for pace, that's a good idea.

cheers
  • scottarm
    scottarm Posts: 119
    forgot to say don't buy expensive iso drinks asda tesco and siansburys all do their own version 4X500Ml for £1.50 ish

or make your own
    http://www.bikeradar.com/fitness/articl ... ink-25744/

to be honest I just pay the £1.50 less hastle
  • DonutDad
    Top tip, ta.
  • DonutDad
    The only thing that might be a negative is that you will not be used to the more aero road bike position which MAY be an issue going into a long ride if you're not used to it. There are plenty good hills here in County Durham, it's finding the flat that's the problem.

Haha yer right. I can only think of the A167 for flat. I was wondering what it is like out towards Crook, any other ideas?
    I'm considering getting a trainer for the garage. with my heart monitor on, maybe that would be good effective flat training ?

The road bike position is quite different. I haven't suffered any ill effect yet, apart from being sore between thumb and fore-finger from resting on the hoods. Haven't found a favourite hand position yet so just constantly vary it. I'll be getting a hand spring strengthening thingy to try and develop a better grip - braking from the hoods isn't the easiest, and I'm not 100% confident of going to the drops for braking. That said, i'm only 3 rides in on the new bike, so plenty time yet I guess. If I can regain my powers soon!
  • DD, If you can pick up a turbo trainer it will be an extremely useful tool, especially if you can't always get out. Or a decent front light (for example I'm off for a training ride between 8.30pm and 10.30pm this evening).

I use the turbo (you're quite right in what you say) for when I want to control the effort in a session. I live in hilly countryside too, so the idea of connstant heart rate rides is a bit tricky. The turbo is also excellent for one hour interval training (alternating short high intensity efforts with longer lower efforts).

I've put together a 35 page Word doc of really good articles relating to heart-rate training, endurance training and Sportive training, pasted from various sources - a bit of an idiot's guide especially for me. If you PM me an email address I can send it to you if you like - it's all very relevant to what we're doing.

I wouldn't worry overly about braking on the drops - I rarely do, as many other riders. I can get very good leverage from the hoods, even on long decents, for most eventualities. Just ride and see how you get on, you can always get a stem that allows a higher bar position if you can't live with it and/or feel you need to get on the drops more.
  • DonutDad
    The trainer is definitely on my shopping list. Probably be able to sneak it into the garage without the other half getting suspicious (I told her I'd just need a bike...).
    I used to row a machine loads with my HRM on, it was so good for controlling effort over time and getting a quality workout and knowing exactly what benefits you were working on, and of course to get consistent results by using it in the same conditions every HR session. Especially useful when time is short like it is before this ride.

I see on another thread that the Tacx Speedmatic seems well thought of. My budget would be up to about 150, to avoid getting dragged into being tempted by the next price bracket.

Got your email, many thanks. I shall read it all with great interest. I am finding this all fascinating.

cheers

Update: Got a Tacx Speedmatic today, set it up in the garage this evening and had a little spin - very niiice...
    Gonna have a proper spin tomorrow to see how I get on with my chest etc. Hopefully it'll mean I can get myself back into it gently and without subjecting my poor lungs to the cool evening, aggravating, air. Desperate to get going again.
    Now I'm on the lookout for heart rate related turbo endurance workouts. research research research
  • DonutDad
    So how are you guys getting on with staying healthy?!
    I'm having a nightmare. I'm normally of quite a sturdy constitution, but this year my chest's been bad since january and I just can't shake it! I've mostly been ok, but then a chest infection, and two man-flu bugs have laid me flat.
    I had a miserable easter at home on my own since thursday with the latest - wife and child went off visiting the in-laws and just came back today, whilst I've been sat in a darkened room feeling half dead for the duration (watching world champs).
    My mother blames the cycling - all that gasping for air can't be good for you - but seriously, I don't really think I'm overdoing it, but I just can't get myself healthy enough to do this properly! Getting well fed up with it.
    Since getting the new bike (beginning March i think), I've only managed to ride about 150 miles on it, and time is creeping ever closer to June 30th when my 104 mile ride is. I'm starting to take the more realistic view that I'll be lucky to do the 63.

Am i just unlucky? or could I be doing something really wrong when I train, why am I so run down?
    All i'm doing is a couple of hour sessions on a turbo in the week, with a 30 miler at the weekend. doesn't seem extreme, but it is more than I've been used to for a few years - but how much can diet have an influence, even at my level?

I'm well fed up. not considering packing it in exactly, but I am wondering whether I'm going to be able to knock out any sort of ride come June. thought all i had to do was buy a bike and start riding... :(
  • Bordersroadie
    Bordersroadie Posts: 1,052
    Just bloody bad luck, mate! I've had a few bugs too in the last few months but have managed to miss just a few days training for each. If it's a cold just ride through it but basically listen to your body and if you're not well enough to ride you will know by how you feel.

My main issue for me is that I have a 2 year old and a wife that works with kids, so avoiding bugs is impossible, whatever you eat, whatever your lifesyle, whatever your training regime. Germs are germs, the only real way to avoid them is to do like the Asians and wear a surgical mask at all times. . .

I think in all honesty your hilly 104 miler is probably too much of an ask from your current position, but there's always next year and plenty of other targets inbetween.
  • Well Done you for which ever miler you choose. I am also 44 and new to road cycling. I started training this feb for a challenge and a half. I think I must off had a glass of rose in hand at the time. I am cycling from arc de triomphe in paris to blenheim palace in oxford thats nearly 300 miles. Its all done in three days, 100 miles a day. It is do able i can safety say that I started off doing 10 miles thinking i was going to die and nearly giving up. I have upped my game got clip in shoes which make all the difference and am now up to 65 miles at 16mph. It's just a case of getting on your bike and getting in the miles little by little and also nutrition is key as well. I posted a link on here asking for advice re this so please check it out if it helps!!
    And good luck!! I really have been bitten by the cycling bug. you will be amazed what you can do!!
    Little Jane
    Forgot to say my challenge is 1st June !!! arrgghh not long
  • DonutDad
    first reaction... Hahahahahaa! that's madness...
    Why do we do it it! There are certainly some crazy people out there (looking at you littlejane), it's great! Glad you seem to be doing well with your mileage, keep it going that is certainly quite a challenge. I hope you stay fit and healthy, it really wasn't something I allowed for, getting ill, I'm normally such a healthy sort (not good for ya y'know, all that exercise), so if I'm going to do anything come June I'm going to have to stay fit from here on. For me that is going to mean being sensible, doing what I can and see how I can improve by the time my event comes.
    On the day there is a choice where I can turn off the big ride onto a 63 mile, which I'm sure I could do now to be honest, I mean it's only two 30s which are a doddle now really (cheers borders, at least I know I can turn up and have a good day).

You however littlejane, are committed to your distance if you want to get home... I bet that focusses the mind for you! Do you have to start doing a couple of distance rides in a week, to get used to the multi-day effort ? I'll certainly check out a link to your ride if I can find it, sounds interesting.
    The very best of luck to you - it's not something I can imagine being able to do at the minute, but who knows. A few weeks ago it seemed like forever that I'd be able to ride 30 miles when I was stuck doing 5s and 10s. And you're right about the bug, although I've had a bit much of the wrong kind of bug for my liking.

Thanks for the encouragement, no matter how hard you think you've got it, there's always someone on here either worse off or doing a bigger challenge and I find it very supportive.
  • thecrofter
    thecrofter Posts: 734
    This may seem obvious to some, but a second layer of spongey bar tape from the brake levers back toward the stem makes a big difference when your spending seven or eight hours on the bike :wink:
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • dave25
    dave25 Posts: 11
    Good luck with the challenge! I've just started cycling around Northumberland/Co durham, and loving it!
  • DonutDad
    top tip crofter, thanks. I'm writing them all down
    I never think of stuff like that, decidedly unimaginative me, which for a graphic designer can be a problem sometimes haha... or is that my problem, creative to the point of impractical!
    Might be a particularly good tip for littlejane. 100 miles 30 days in a row must take its toll on the hands (and everything else).
    I haven't done much exploring yet dave25, been getting up to speed staying close to home before I can manage greater distances. I'm up to 30 miles now, so starting to stretch out a bit, but I can't wait to be doing 50-60 miles where I can really get away from it all and start having adventures. We live in a great area for it. Seem to be constantly saying "when I'm better I'll go there". Pah. will be trying gentle rides this weekend, half an hour or so each day, desperate to get back out there, but must take it easy as my chest is still suffering at the moment.
  • dave25
    dave25 Posts: 11
    You sound like your at the same point as me, I cant manage too far at the moment either, but dream of getting out there and exploring a bit further, are you just riding solo? if you ever fancy a training partner let me know.
  • OOHHH NNOOO!!! I can't belive it!!!!! After all that advice I was giving you about getting the miles in. I have fallen ill with cold. Feel rubbish. Today is my big ride of 75 miles !!! I have been doing 25 mile trips in the week prob 3 times a week and longer rides at weekend. I have 49 days to go and have to be able to get up to a certain fitness. Any quick remedy ideas?? Still going to give it a try but take it slow. Hope everyone's training going ok?
  • Richard_D
    Richard_D Posts: 320
    No quick cure all but one bit of advice. If you are doing your challenges with friends or work mates try to arrange some trips out with them before hand. All your challenges wil be as part of groups even if the groups keep splitting and reforming so learning about Group riding helps. Also it is physically and mentally easier as part of a group.

When I cycled to Paris last year, Basingstoke to Paris over 4 days, we had done about half a dozen runs out before hand. It helped us learn what each of us was good at as well as helping each other through rough patches. What I also learned was thaton a multi day event our fitness improved over the 4 days. On the 4th day we stuck together up the hills where we had seperated on previous days
  • DonutDad
    LITTLEJANE that's rubbish!
    What did you do in the end ? I'm all for plugging on through if it's just a head full of snot, if you can take something and make yourself feel a bit brighter first. Hope you were either able to do a bit, or at least be happy that staying home was the right thing to do and not feel bad about it. If you recover quickly I don't think missing one big ride will do too much harm to your chances - but then of course I know absolutely nothing, so take all that as simply good wishes and friendly concern. I'm rooting for you to get better quickly, it will be amazing if you complete your challenge (you will you will you will).
    I decided it would be foolish to go out with my chest still not 100% (only about 65% I reckon), so was frustrating for me as it was quite a nice day for it, between the rain and erm, snow. Still, got out and got some fresh air on foot instead. My next chance to train will be Tuesday on the turbo in the garage. Gonna make sure that happens, then it won't be far to stagger to the sofa at whatever point I've had enough.
    Sounds like good advice Richard, makes sense that a group will kind of synchronise after a few days together, great idea to give that a chance to start happening before you go.
    Dave, I'm actually really close to Durham. If you are in this area then yes it would be good to see what it's like riding with someone else, pick up tips etc. I don't have a car rack though so travelling before I ride isn't really an option at the moment. I will be picking up a rack some time in the next couple of months though so maybe then - thanks for the offer
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Don't force yourself to go out if you're chest isn't up to it... Just spin on the Turbo in the garage and don't expose yourself to the cold. You'll do more harm than good if you go out in the cold as you're more likely to lower your body's temperature and catch some more man-flu!

The cold air might also be a contributor to your bad chest - some people get exercise induced asthma. I suspect that i get it because i come back from a cold ride with a wheeze and cough.. and i'm definitely struggling more when its cold. it could be worth looking into it.
  • DonutDad
    yeah i know, I've been tempted to go out regardless, especially as I'm losing ground on the training front with this big ride in coming up. I'm realising however, with all this time to contemplate things, that it's far more important that I recover properly so I can get the most out of my brilliant new hobby, and that this ride isn't that important at all. On the day I can do 30, 63 or 104 miles. I'll go along with whatever training I've done and complete an appropriate ride. Then I'll come back and keep riding, cos that's what I love to do. I may even treat myself to something shiny for the bike to mark my first event...

I do have exercise induced asthma, and take an inhaler before every ride. After that I don't ever get any bother (unless there is something else wrong, like now). If you are diagnosed and get such a prescription, you'll be amazed at the difference - I didn't realise how bad it actually was until I was shown how good it could be. good luck.