A New Challenge

DonutDad
DonutDad Posts: 104
edited April 2012 in Road beginners
Hi, I'm 44, with a (ancient) history of mountain bike fitness but not having ridden seriously for about 15 years.
I'm in the process of being talked into entering 'The Cyclone', a 104 mile road ride in Northumberland at the end of June 2012 - and I've got a couple of questions that may help me decide if it's the right thing. I've never ridden a road bike.

1: Is the ride just too huge?
I can start training now, but starting from scratch apart from the fact that I'm technically competent and efficient on a bike - is 20 weeks or so going to be sufficient to gain necessary fitness for such a big ride (with big climbs apparently)

2: I only currently have a mountain bike. I would need to train on that, buying myself a road bike along the way as funds allow. How late should i leave it before switching? I know probably the sooner the better, but if I wait, I'll afford a much better road bike. Is it a reasonable theory to train on the MTB, then switch to a dream machine at the last minute and ride the Cyclone effortlessly cos it's just so much better suited? or is it so different that just wouldn't work, do I need ages to get used to it?

Anyone else done such a ride, starting from being 20lbs overweight and unfit? Is 20 weeks enough time?
I have experience of training to race (mountain bikes), and always did love a good climb, but I'm still 25 in my head and I know it is no easy task.

I know I can stick to training, but I've never ridden that sort of distance and have no real concept of what it does to you... can't decide if I'm looking for a confidence boost or a slap for thinking it.

I'd appreciate the benefit of any similar experiences, Andy

Comments

• Duffer65
    Duffer65 Posts: 341
    Hello DD,

From my limited knowledge I think that this is do-able in 20 weeks, IF you train regularly and up the distance each ride and take in some hills along the way.

As for the bike, you will need to change the tyres (if you haven't already) to something lighter, more suited to riding on the road (Gatorskins perhaps) and lock out the forks (if you have suspension). Training on what will be an undoubtedly heavier bike should be a positive when you do get your lighter, racier road bike. The only thing that might be a negative is that you will not be used to the more aero road bike position which MAY be an issue going into a long ride if you're not used to it.

I'm sure others will be along with more experienced & insightful advice. Good luck and I hope you enjoy your road bike...it's addictive:D

Oh, and one more thing. No matter what you think of it now, or how big you are and no matter how much you resist it. You WILL end up wearing lycra!
    Where would you be if you fell down a hole?.. Stuck down a hole... in the fog... Stuck down a hole, in the fog, at night... WITH AN OWL!
  • DonutDad
    Thanks duffer,
    after a long time away from bikes with back problems (plus marriage, kids etc), I'm really looking forward to jumping back in and feeling that buzz again, and fancied road cycling for a change. I know it has it's own challenges, but my days of carrying a bike up a mountain just so I can ride down it are way behind me!

Locking out the forks is a great idea that I hadn't thought of, probably because I don't think I'd like it - but of course it's going to get a lot more rigid (responsive) than that, so might as well get used to it now. There are plenty good hills here in County Durham, it's finding the flat that's the problem.

I guess the main thing is to get going, cos time's a-ticking. My dilemma is that I could enter the 104 miler and fail, or enter the 63 miler and wish I'd done the other when I see my friends complete it with ease.
    Hmmm, just thought of something - I could pay the 25 quid, enter both rides and do whichever I feel I can do as time goes on. Or would that be frowned upon, as although massive numbers do this ride, places are ultimately limited so some poor soul may miss out... No I think i've already talked myself out of that one. There's probably no surer way of ending up on the smaller ride if I do that, easy option and all that.

Are Gatorskins a good tyre option then? My product knowledge is 15 years out of date too, so a recommendation would be great. I'll be sticking to the road from now on to get ready for the Cyclone, so an out and out road tyre would be fine.

thanks very much for the reply
    Andy

Lycra! that may be something else I switch to at the last minute for an on-the-day aerodynamic advantage...
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    I did a 250 mile, 3 day charity ride in May last year after starting training at the end of January. Longest day was 108 miles and the final day had a climb of Sally Gap - highest road in Ireland. I did this pretty much from scratch although i'm an ex Cat 2 racer (15 years ago) and played international level badminton up to 5 years ago (but got lazy since).

I lost 2 stone due to the motivation of the ride / getting fit again, so i'd say absolutely go for it - you'll surprise yourself if you really make that pledge to yourself. 8)
  • Duffer65
    Continental Gatorskins or any other slick/semi slick tyre with p*ncture protection would be fine, perhaps get the narrowest that your rims will allow as well.
    Where would you be if you fell down a hole?.. Stuck down a hole... in the fog... Stuck down a hole, in the fog, at night... WITH AN OWL!
  • Just a thought - most bike shops do 0% finance so if you have enough wedge for the deposit you should be able to buy a bike pretty much straight away.

I was saving for a bike but thought 'hang on - instead of sticking cash aside each month just pay off the finance'.

Good luck with the training. I am pretty overweight but managed to get up to 50 miles in 7 weeks from taking bike delivery. You should be able to get to 50-60 quite quickly and then push on in increments from there.

Enjoy.
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    The current issue of Cycle Active has an article on preparing for a century ride with one month of training. It assumes a reasonable level of fitness but if you've got about four months, you should be fine for it. The key is not speed, it's getting your legs used to the milage.
  • Like you, a couple of years ago I had a similar goal. IMO the quicker you can get a road bike the better. It's much easier getting the miles in on a road bike with skinny tyres than on a mountain bike, it's quicker, and you'll get used to the different feeling of a road bike and get your confidence up. Injuries aside, and taking a sensible approach to training, you should have no problems getting the distance in.
    Neil Pryde Bura SL
    Cannondale CAAD8
  • EarlyGo
    EarlyGo Posts: 281
    DD,

As the others have said it's do-able and you sound like you are both aware of what you're taking on and have the commitment to see it through. Try to get your road bike asap just to get used to the position. Also get your lycra asap too so that you get used to the fit and padded shorts etc. Are you going to ride 'clipped in'? You could buy road shoes and pedals now and fit them to your mountainbike. Enjoy!!

Regards, EarlyGo
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Yes - agreed - get the bike ASAP as you'll need experience on it to get the fit just right. for that sort of distance, you'll need a saddle you can live with and it may take a few goes to get it right. Invariably, the saddle the bike comes with may not fit.

Also, when you do go for the bike - try and find a shop that will through it (or discount) a proper fit. Most folks will endlessly tweak the positions until they're happy, but with a short period of time to get it right, you'll need a head start on getting the bike to fit perfectly.

Finally, let the shop know what you're doing, and they should point you in the direction of a road bike that's more aimed as distance (more relaxed geometry and shock absorbing) rather than speed - fun but you'll loose your filling after 20 miles :)
  • DonutDad
    Thanks everyone, really encouraging comments. Well Done wirral_Paul, I know the experience of having been committed to cycling before will go a long way to help me even though it was years ago, I'm hoping that once that switch is flicked I'll get all hungry and competitive again. And climbing was always my thing, so they don't phase me (at least, before I start), I just know i need to be prepared. It is a looong way up from this couch though..!
    Last year I lost 2.5 stone through dieting, but with no real change in lifestyle, half of it went back on when i stopped. Not the way to do it, hence this challenge. I'm good at focussing on something, so one I've established that cycling is once again 'what I do', I'm hoping to stay fit again when this ride has been and gone. Plan for the next one i guess, but, one thing at a time.

I can see the sense (and appeal) in getting the bike sorted sooner rather than later, and 0% should mean I can do it as soon as I get the deposit sorted - I used to have to save up, far too easy to spend money these days (good idea).

I like the idea of getting shoes and pedals sorted too, I have old spuds on my mountain bike, but the shoes are well past it. and it'll feel like a nice wee treat to get me going. And I do have lycra shorts, I'll just have to start wearing them on the outside i guess...

Saddle choice also a fair point, these skinny ones don't look too comfy (how old am I?). I could just stick on my Brooks B17 for instant comfort. It may look out of place and double the weight of the bike, but I should sink right back into the dents I made in it ages ago. Do comfy saddles even exist ? probably a whole other thread topic there...

I guess i need to shop around for a bike then, hadn't thought about differing geometries etc., I'd always just seen 'generic roadies' going by and never gave them a thought. Funny how we change our attitudes to things innit, although I was still always gripped by Le Tour, in the days of Fignon, Indurain, Pantani etc. not so much now.

Thanks again folks, I feel loads better about this than I did even just yesterday. Lots of great advice
    Best go out on my bike then... well, maybe tomorrow.
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    I think the most important thing is to get out riding as soon as you can. If it means you can get a better spec bike then probably about 8 weeks before the event shouldnt be too bad for getting used to the new bike.
    Agree with others comments about tyres ,shoe and pedals.
    Not familiar with this particular event but i believe if you enter the long version it would be pretty straightforward on the day to drop down to the shorter if you really have to.
    I think you can do it, you wont be fastest, but you can finish. Time to start training.
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    Hi DonutDad, I've just had a look at the website for that challenge and it's a very, very hilly 104 mile challenge, and I see they are awarding medals for times. To get better than a bronze medal you would need to do it in better than 6 hrs 30 mins, which is an average speed of 16 mph - very tough for anyone on that sort of terrain and distance, never mind someone new to road cycling. It may be your aim just to get round the course irrespective of time, which is fair enough and still a great achievement. However if it was me, I would go for Ride B, the 63 mile option, when I would hope there would be more riders of my level and it would be a more realistic goal. I just think that the big ride will attract really serious roadies who can get round in these sort of fast times, and it may be disheartening if you end up doing it, but being slow in comparison to most others competing in the long race.

Just something to consider, but if you do go for the long one I wish you all the best.
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    However if it was me, I would go for Ride B, the 63 mile option, when I would hope there would be more riders of my level and it would be a more realistic goal. I just think that the big ride will attract really serious roadies who can get round in these sort of fast times, and it may be disheartening if you end up doing it, but being slow in comparison to most others competing in the long race.

TBH I dont really agree if the aim is to ride it with friends?? Ignore the medal times and see the goal as doing the distance - if you're going to ride it with mates then what does it matter how fast other groups of riders do? Its not a race after all - although some treat it as one.

If you come to the date and you're not ready then it should be easy at that time to drop down a distance. Not an option to go up with permission of organisers generally (due to providing for feed stations etc).

Go for it i recon!! You'll be riding LEJOG next year!! :lol:
  • DonutDad
    I know what you mean, I've seen those gold silver and bronze award times and there's no way I can even contemplate them. It wasn't at all a consideration, but I think you have a point.
    Although I'm seeing it as a probably achievable personal challenge, it doesn't mean I want to be riding round it on my own. . . in the dark . . .

If riders don't reach a certain point in a certain time, you get sent back via a shortcut to make sure everyone can get back at a reasonable time. i.e. failure. you can't finish. I don't want failure after the work i'm going to be putting in.
    The 60-odd miler would still be a challenge as I think it still includes the climbs, but feels like a whimp-out when all my mates are doing the big one. Then again they are either fit cyclists or just daft. We haven't really discussed if we'll ride in a group, there's quite a range of ability involved.

I'll look into the possibility of dropping down if training doesn't go to plan, good idea Paul - if it's ok then I'll happily enter the 104m, and I'm not so proud that I won't drop down if I know I won't get round it - whereas if there was no alternative but to drop out altogether, I'd be really disappointed.
  • DonutDad
    So,
    After being unsure about knowing how fit or not I'll be four months from now, and not wanting to enter the huge ride, then fail and achieve nothing, someone had suggested here I may be able to change rides on the day, so I emailed the organisers of the ride last night, and he replied with the following:

"yes you can drop down in distance on the day, and can even do this after the start as you can take the 63 mile route after the first feed station and your registration chip will tell us which ride you completed."

So, all doubt now removed, I can enter the big ride, train like hell and do what I feel I can on the day.
    Very happy about the whole thing now I know I'll definitely get something out of it.
    thanks for all the help and ideas. Great forum. :D
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    Good luck mate! Where there is a will there is a way :)
  • DonutDad
    cheers David,
    First ride tonight then (and for over a year), out on the mountain bike for now - locked out the forks, maxed out the air pressure in me 2 inch knobblies, and I've never been so 'in touch' with the road.

30 mins; 6 miles inc. 2m of steady climbing. the benchmark is set, recorded and we're off!

No doubt you'll see me in other threads for newbie advice on all sorts of matters related, but for getting me going folks - my eternal gratitude. :mrgreen:
  • skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    for your 104 or even the 67 miler, bibshorts and chamois cream will be your friend (keep your comfy B17) - everything else will be down to how you train & how you feel on the day. :wink:
    Cycling weakly
  • Duffer65
    DonutDad wrote:
    cheers David,
    First ride tonight then (and for over a year), out on the mountain bike for now - locked out the forks, maxed out the air pressure in me 2 inch knobblies, and I've never been so 'in touch' with the road.

30 mins; 6 miles inc. 2m of steady climbing. the benchmark is set, recorded and we're off!

No doubt you'll see me in other threads for newbie advice on all sorts of matters related, but for getting me going folks - my eternal gratitude. :mrgreen:

Good one!

I hope this doesn't come across as patronising as it is certainly not meant to be. But there will probably be times when you feel that you can't be arsed to go out on the bike or it's getting a bit much. The thing I do is picture myself out on the bike pedalling away and the enjoyment (and the pain) that comes with it , and then think of the alternative sitting on the sofa watching tv (or whatever) wishing that I had got off my arse and gone out for a ride. Try not to set yourself too difficult goals, at first just ride for the pleasure of it and steadily increase your distance, amount and difficulty of the hills. And as others have said, get that road bike a.s.a.p :D
  • DonutDad
    Thanks Duffer (and for the tyre tip).
    History would say that I'll hammer away for a couple of weeks, then get a bad back that'll take me twice as long to get over before I can start again.

Couple of friends are doing it and one has made a spreadsheet for us to fill in our weekly rides, from a schedule he's made up (he's very experienced). If we skip them, there's shame to be felt and catching up to do. It'll be hard but it's a great incentive, and one that I need very much if I'm to achieve this.
    I'm terrible for sitting on the couch instead of doing something positive, but my excuse of having a small child is wearing a bit thin cos he's four and a half now, so really time to put up or shut up.
    I'm hoping the encouragement of others on here, and seeing what can be achieved with a little determination will be incentive enough - along with my own enthusiasm of course. It won't be easy, but at least I have a plan!
    Cheers
  • EarlyGo
    EarlyGo Posts: 281
    DD,

That spreadsheet idea of your mate sounds like a good one! Good luck fella and keep us posted. Have you looked at road bikes yet? What sort of budget are you thinking of?

Regards,

EarlyGo
  • DonutDad
    EG - yeah spreadsheet is good, not least because the distances are in there too and it stops me from doing too much at this stage, so easy does it. Great idea and I have faith in his plan.

I'm enjoying doing the research on bikes at the minute, being completely out of touch with the tech :shock: - so much to learn, especially as a new road bike buyer. I guess for budget i'm looking firmly under/up to a grand. I've read carbon is good and long lasting (but possibly a touch too much?), does aluminium last longer these days ? In the past all the talk was of ally frames feeling 'dead' after a couple of hard years mountain biking, or was that just to get us buying more bikes, hmmm...

For that I'm hoping for a bike (frame) that will last me a good few years. In the past I've gone for the best (mtb) frame I can, as I've always enjoyed upgrading with little treats as I go.
    All day comfort is probably the most important thing, I've seen (but not ridden) the Cannondale Synapse and Giant Defy bikes, very tasty, but I don't know if I need to spend that much.

I know I'm a new roadie, so some might say don't spend much, but I do know and appreciate bikes and that you get what you pay for. Budget is less a consideration than comfort/responsiveness and handling. Or maybe there's an argument for buying cheaper now and starting to save for the ultimate dream bike, to choose when I'm a more informed road rider...

I've had 'dales before, so I know all about them, but I fancy something different I think (not least as all 3 ended up getting stolen, seem to be thief magnets round here - this was 15 years ago though).
    Something suitably subdued looking, a wolf in sheep's clothing would suit me - and my paranoia about riding round on a flash bike (I don't like the look of all the 'team liveries' everywhere, not keen on huge stickers advertising me to bike thieves, given my unlucky past - and every bike taken from locked/secure location so I must have been followed/watched etc). Understated looks are very important the more I think about it.

Once I'm officially 'fit' my midweek miles will be a 20 mile each way commute (not every day), with longer rides at the weekend.

Any info or recommendations gratefully received and considered. Gotta start somewhere. :)
    DD
  • DonutDad
    Update: :D
    So I've bought a bike. That didn't take me long... I realised through searching online that there is apparently a season shift in gear, so plenty of last year's models available at good prices. I'm going to sort it out tomorrow.
    That and, I was out the other day slogging against the wind on my mouton bike and a guy flew past me, tucked in on his road bike and with a quick "hello" he was gone. Obviously a lot fitter than me, but he just looked like the whole thing was a better experience.

Found a Cannondale Synapse Tiagra today at a LBS that i decided i could afford, so I just went for it (although I've seen it quite a bit cheaper online - including 50 quid cheaper on their own website, I'll be having a word about that tomorrow - as a first timer it felt wise to buy from somewhere I can return to if need be). I'm sure it'll be fantastic and I can't wait to take those first wobbly, bumpy pedal strokes into a new world of cycling.
    Bring on the Cyclone :mrgreen:
  • I've also signed up for a 100 mile sportive but I've got till August to get ready. It's a hilly one starting at Bishopton i don't feel hugely confident but I'll give it a go and the practice, effort and fun getting there will be just as good as doing it. Set your goal and go for it, some people dream of success, the rest get up off their butts and work for it. Go get that Bronze medal.
  • Enjoy it! You'll quickly build your miles up and be itching to get out... Like you, I got into road biking after having been a mountain biker in the past - different kettle of fish, but fun in different ways. My commute is roughly the same as yours - if you start by doing it one way (and public transporting home, or getting a lift), then drive in the next day and ride back, etc, etc.

I'm doing the 104 mile Cyclone in June too - I fancied a trip back home for some riding - so I'll maybe even see you then!
    Twitter: @FunkyMrMagic
  • DonutDad
    Well, picked the cannondale up today and rode it home. very strange experience. I was nervous about tackling a particular hill in bigger gears, and low riding position I'm not use to and sure enough I slowed down, changed down and started to struggle. I was letting the hill win with no gears left.

Then rather than get off and walk I decided to try and push on, and guess what... the bike responded. it was just waiting for me to do something and leaped forward so easily, I upped the pressure, upped the tempo and before i knew I'd changed back up a couple of gears and was flying up this hill ! It really was a bit of a special experience.

smooth changes, comfortable position, nowhere as near as bumpy as anticipated and big thanks due to the bike shop guy who spent well over an hour with me to get me sorted and away.

Now I need to get stuck into the training and see you at the Cyclone. I will complete that ride - or good luck with whatever challenges you've got going on this year.
  • Duffer65
    Nice one! All done in ten days...it'll be lycra time before you know it :lol:
  • DonutDad
    hahaaaaaaa. Weeell, stuff was wrong with my mountain bike (or did I make that up... :wink: ), needed a new rear wheel which was getting worse, rear mech was condemned by LBS, I wasn't happy about training with riser bars with no alternate hand positions that I used a lot when I did lots of miles, so would have wanted to switch to flats and bar ends, then add slick tyres...
    I was facing a 200 quid bill to put that lot right - and it would still be a mountain bike - so I thought I may as well use it towards a deposit (plus shoes, pedals and a half-price flouro jacket) and get me some interest free and get back out on the road. Walked into a shop yesterday and there it was, it just felt meant to be so no point hanging about

Full steam ahead!

shades first,then I'll think about lycra 8)
  • DonutDad
    edited February 2012
    And here it is (just took me a few minutes to work it out...)
  • DonutDad wrote:
    Hi, I'm 44, with a (ancient) history of mountain bike fitness but not having ridden seriously for about 15 years.
    I'm in the process of being talked into entering 'The Cyclone', a 104 mile road ride in Northumberland at the end of June 2012 - and I've got a couple of questions that may help me decide if it's the right thing. I've never ridden a road bike.

DD, we've been living parallel lives! Maybe my similar story will help to keep you motivated.

I'm almost 48 and am back into cycling after a 20 year break. I was a big roadie back then. Originally I gave it up due to knee injury and spent the interim doing other sports. Turns out in hindsight the knee injury was due to incorrect bike fit especially the rigid old tyle toeclips-plus-cleats that forced my knee into the wrong position for hundreds of miles. So anyway, I'm getting on well with SPDs, the bike fits perfectly now and the knee's holding out, so I feel I'm getting a second chance and I'm loving it.

Also like you, I have some persuasive friends who have talked me into doing the Fred Whitton (very hilly 112 miles in May) and the Maratona Dles Dolomites (bigger and much longer hills, 85 miles, in July). Both are serious undertakings even for the very fit cyclist. I'm excited and sh it scared in equal measure!

I'm keeping my mind off things like bronze medals and so forth and just applying myself to the task of getting as fit as I can for the two events. On the big days, I'll get round the courses in the appropriate time for my level of fitness. If I miss the cutoff times then so be it, I will do my best. However, I'm competitive and have no plans to pootle round the events, so I'm very highly motivated and committed to my training.

Almost all of my training has been on my 25 year old road bike, a (then) lightweight tourer and in its restored guise a fine training machine. I do a two or three times a week 24 mile round trip commute, a long weekend ride and turbo training when these are unavailable. Like you I bought a new road bike but it's an indoor-only machine at present.

I'm gradually increasing my mileage and did a 60 last weekend. Although I live in hilly country and incorporate hills as far as possible (I'm doing hilly events so I need to be hill-fit) I also realise that even non-hilly miles are good miles so my longer rides are a mix of both. The important thing is to get used to being in the saddle for a few hours. Right now I've got the lurgy (again) so my planned 70 miler will not happen this weekend sadly. You have to be prepared for setbacks I guess!

What I've done is devoured all the info I can get on this forum and via Google - on sportive training, nutrition, endurance training, and so on - and it's helped me immensely.

I'd also recommend that you get someone to double check that your bike fits you perfectly. Any imperfect aspects of your position on the bike will be telling over time. Also get your bum-bones measured (I'm being serious) and with this info get the right width saddle. Most OEM saddles are 130mm wide, turns out I need a 143 or thereabouts.

What I've gathered over recent weeks as "top tips": well-fitting bike, good nutrition, plenty of rest, planned training schedule including rest days, and heart rate analysis.

The latter I'm grappling with as my funds are limited, but the more I read about it the more I think I will get a HR monitor as without one it's very possible to put in lots of hard miles that may have been wasted. To cut a very long story short, training for distance events includes doing training that does not have your heart beating in its very high zone - "long, steady rides", as the jargon says. A HRM is the only sure way to know your training is the right intensity.

Anyway, best of British, I'll be watching your story with interest.