Another bottom bracket query ????!!!!

Danjohnson
Danjohnson Posts: 29
edited March 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Does anyone know if an fsa isis fitment crank set will fit a shimano isis bottom bracket ???, any help would be cool :)

Comments

• Does anyone know if an fsa isis fitment crank set will fit a shimano isis bottom bracket ???, any help would be cool :lol:
  • mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    Shimano made their own different spline called Octalink. It is totally different to isis and not compatible.
  • Hi Matt, so you're saying the fsa Isis isn't compatable with the shimano octalink or the shimano isis bottom bracket ??
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Isis is Isis.
    But didn't know Shimano made Isis - sure it's not Octolink?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    You really need two threads for this?
    viewtopic.php?f=10002&t=12836590

Isis is not compatible with Octolink.
    Shimano use Octolink
    FSA and others use Isis

Where did you find a Shimano Isis?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Yeah they definately do isis aswell as octalink yet not Many people seem to know this !
  • I bought my last one from chain reaction, they definately do Isis & octalink, I can't be the only one on here that has one ???!!!!!!!!
  • cooldad
    Then Isis is Isis.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Danjohnson wrote:
    I bought my last one from chain reaction, they definitely do Isis & octalink, I can't be the only one on here that has one ???!!!!!!!!
    Prove it.

They do not.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cooldad
    So if you already had one, what is the question?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    Might say Isis, but it's Octolink
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    edited February 2012
    One in your link
    shimano11.jpg

Real Isis
    09FSAPlatISISBB.jpg
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    As above stupid web staff.

I will repeat shimano do not make ISIS.

For axel length info see the topic in the FAQs.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    True. Didn't look at the image at first.
  • Look I know shimano did Isis cuz my bike came with one & I've replaced it since I've had the bike for a new shimano Isis bottom bracket, I know the difference between octalink & Isis, I'm going to take my bottom bracket out tonight & take a photo of it to prove it, think some of you have got the wrong forum, you want face book !!!!
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Danjohnson wrote:
    Look I know shimano did Isis cuz my bike came with one & I've replaced it since I've had the bike for a new shimano Isis bottom bracket, I know the difference between octalink & Isis, I'm going to take my bottom bracket out tonight & take a photo of it to prove it, think some of you have got the wrong forum, you want face book !!!!
    Go on then
  • Ok then !!!
  • cooldad
    Danjohnson wrote:
    Look I know shimano did Isis cuz my bike came with one & I've replaced it since I've had the bike for a new shimano Isis bottom bracket, I know the difference between octalink & Isis, I'm going to take my bottom bracket out tonight & take a photo of it to prove it, think some of you have got the wrong forum, you want face book !!!!
    You asked for help, you got it.
    Insulting the people trying to help you is not very nice.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    Danjohnson wrote:
    Go on then

Bollocks. Shimano have NEVER EVER done ISIS.

Shimano brought out the octalink designe V1 and V2 and then everyone else desided that they did not want to pay the licence fee to shimano so the came up with ISIS.

why would shimano then go and make an inferior version of what they have the tooling for and the rights for?

go and look or take pics of your Shimano ISIS parts and 1 you will not find a Shimano ISIS part anywhere and you will see that what you have is either not shimano or not ISIS.

Have fun.

PS what was the make/model/year of the bike?
  • You're kidding me ???!!!!, I asked a question & all I got was interrogation, I wouldn't call comments like "prove it " helpful !!
  • I'll take a photo just for you tonight Nick
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I eagerly await Teh Proofs.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Long wait....

Dan, the point is Shimano never made ISIS that is fact, to help you we need the correct facts hence the iterrogation, you insisted that Shimano did make ISIS despite everyone else telling you they didn't, so you've been asked to prove it even though we know you won't be able to, but at least we will then know what you do have so we can give the right advice. That is why asking you to prove it IS being helpful!

Rowlocks in = rowlocks out!

Simon

P.S. don't forget to apologise
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Shimano really don't do ISIS and never have.

ISIS was invented as a competitor to Octalink (of which there is V1 and V2, neither is ISIS).

I (and I imagine many others) eagerly await these photos...

Edit: didn't actually read the 2nd page, wasn't intentionally repeating Nick's comments. Still look forward to this photo.
  • cooldad
    Danjohnson wrote:
    They did, they did, they did and I'm going to hold my breath until you all stop being so nasty. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1!!
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    edited February 2012
    Not helpful cooldad, very funny (as usual) but not helpful.....

Although I was thinking more along the lines of (and I know you're old enough to know the origin) "I'm going to thcream and thcream and thcream until I'm thick....and I can!"
    Danjohnson wrote:
    I bought my last one from chain reaction, they definitely do Isis & octalink, I can't be the only one on here that has one ???!!!!!!!!
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Sear ... imano+isis

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    I did try and be helpful. I really did.

But my nature got the better of me.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    Ps I agree yours is better but bloody predictive text makes it hard.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Just to add, Shimano never ever made ISIS.

So sorry Dan, you are wrong.