Unable To Raise HR

Pross
Pross Posts: 40,602
Most of my recent rides I've been completing with an average HR of 140 (maximal is 191). However, when I went out on Saturday I was unable to keep my HR up on the flat as I just couldn't sustain any effort even though 73% isn't a particularly high intensity for a 2 hour ride (I was still getting up to 160ish on some short hills). I ended up averaging 135 for the two hours. Is this likely to just be down to a bit of fatigue? I have finally got myself motivated to exercise regularly over the last month - cycling 3 or 4 days a week together with 40 minute gym sessions 3 days a week. Or is there other issues that can cause this to happen? I gave myself the day off on Sunday, did a gym session today and will be back on the bike for a 37 mile round trip commute tomorrow so I guess that will give me an idea if it's an ongoing issue.

Comments

• amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Fatigue and/or the start of a virus or something.
    More problems but still living....
  • Pross
    Cheers, thought that would be the answer. Hopefully the former as I felt fresher at the gym today after doing nothing yesterday. Still feel a bit tired in a lack of sleep sense though despite getting a good quantity of quality sleep every night.
  • nhoj
    nhoj Posts: 129
    Or maybe just a not-so-good day. Some days it's just not happenin'.

I blame the cold weather.
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    Are you sure you've been getting enough rest? Are you experiencing stress in your daily life? Have you trained a lot recently? How did your power output compare to your heart rate? Have you been drinking as much fluid as you usually do?

Don't worry about heart rate on its own unless you have something else to compare it to. Especially if it's just for one ride. You're a living organism, not a machine.
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • Pross
    Herbsman wrote:
    Are you sure you've been getting enough rest? Are you experiencing stress in your daily life? Have you trained a lot recently? How did your power output compare to your heart rate? Have you been drinking as much fluid as you usually do?

Don't worry about heart rate on its own unless you have something else to compare it to. Especially if it's just for one ride. You're a living organism, not a machine.

I don't have a power meter unfortunately. I think I was just fatigued, rode my 18 mile commute this morning and average was back up above 140 with some sustained periods at 150+ (78%).