Omelette the best way to cook one??.

2»

Comments

• priory
    priory Posts: 743
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Micromark-Omele ... B000QU3ZRY
    41nuKKtR6tL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

i do not think the entries in this thread worthy of bikeradar.
    surely to make a perfect omelette a special machine is required.
    We do not need all this talk of technique, only which is the best machine. should it be french , italian , or japanese?

The tragic thing is that at the moment you cannot buy eggs ready prepared for omeletting in special pods . It would be so much more convenient, and we could discuss where to buy the pods .
    Raleigh Eclipse, , Dahon Jetstream XP, Raleigh Banana, Dawes super galaxy, Raleigh Clubman

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z122 ... =slideshow
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    priory wrote:
    i do not think the entries in this thread worthy of bikeradar.
    surely to make a perfect omelette a special machine is required.
    We do not need all this talk of technique, only which is the best machine. should it be french , italian , or japanese?

They're all good and work equally as well as each other - its just that the Italian one is the best just because .... (like Campag)
    Got to be made of carbon or titanium though
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    markos1963 wrote:
    Small heavy pan, heat oil(no butter as it burns too quickly) till it's smoking hot.

But, but, but - you use butter for flavour not just as a frying ingredient.
    May as well use quorn instead of bacon :wink:

Oh and for using gear - the pan has to be a Le Creuset :P
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    Milk?? in an omelette?
    olive oil, fry sliced mushrooms, cherry tomatoes and chorizo finely sliced. Add whisked eggs (definitely from your own hens if poss)as it starts to set keep moving it about so it cooks through. flip, brown just slightly , serve on granary bread with a topping of freshly grated parmesan. yum.
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    NapoleonD wrote:
    I prefer to make an omelette dessert using Cadbury's Creme eggs.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm creme eggs...

cadbury-creme-eggs-sexy-bunny-demotivational-posters-1300092053.jpg
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    I am now using my omelette pan work and its got Teflon lining. I will be doing about 6 omelettes per day with a workmate. As I have never used my pan at work I want to keep my pan good, and thinking of getting pan covers.

Do pan covers wear your pans the same, as the cover is rubbing agaisnt the pan or what??

I know it sounds perhaps a bit over the top, but I often wear women's knickers etc and want to minimise marks.

Any thoughts?

Ta
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • I use olive oil, not butter. And I always throw a few salted peanuts in my cheese omelette - for a bit
    of added crunchiness.
    - Slave to the cadence -
  • graham.
    graham. Posts: 862
    What a bloody mess!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9O5WDPSpI1A
    Graham. :shock:
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    It tasted good, but looked a mess.
    exercise.png
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    You are obviously all amateur omelette makers...

Key points:

-don't beat the eggs, mix them.
    -never flip
    -don't grill
    -its all about the thickness

Stage 1 - Saute/prepare any filling (peppers, mushroom, onion, cheese etc) then set aside in a bowl or something

Stage 2 - Whilst preparing filling, MIX the eggs -> i usually use two for one person, 3 if i'm hungry.. but always make individual omelettes separately -> don't be tempted to make a big one. DO NOT BEAT THE EGGS as you get too much air in the mixture.

Stage 3 - Add your oil of choice to a HOT pan of the correct size (the thinner the omelette the better, although obviously only to a point so it doesn't break when you fold) -> i usually use butter although you have to be careful not to burn it.

Stage 4 - Add the eggs to the pan, ensuring they are spread around, and make sure the edges aren't sticking during cooking and piercing any air bubbles that appear.

Stage 5 - when the top of the omelette is ready (cooked, not golden brown), add the filling to one side and fold the other one over.

Stage 6 - depending on the filling, either cook for a little longer (if you want melted cheese or something), or serve immediately.

Things that can go wrong:

- if you flip, it turns into a pile of mess.. not a nice round omelette, and cooks unevenly
    - if you beat, there is too much air and it can break apart and cook inconsistently
    - if its too thick it won't cook properly and you won't get the right textures on the base and top.
    - if you grill... well there is no need to grill if you make it properly.
    - if the Pan's too hot you burn the bottom or butter
    - if the pan's too cold you don't get a good base and flavour.

Alternative methods:

-Some like to add the filling into the egg before cooking -> it can work, but it cooks unevenly and its often hard to get a good distribution of filling through the egg.

-use one whole egg and two egg whites for a lower fat option (the flavour isn't as good though.. and it sometimes comes out looking like a massive fried egg)

Congratulations, you now know how to make the perfect omelette -> the only thing you need to do now is practice.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,169
    Having looked at this thread on and off yesterday I had a craving for omelette. Lo and behold I got home last night and there was one waiting for me (cheese and gammon) without even mentioning it. I just wish she was that telepathic with all my cravings!
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Pross wrote:
    Having looked at this thread on and off yesterday I had a craving for omelette. Lo and behold I got home last night and there was one waiting for me (cheese and gammon) without even mentioning it. I just wish she was that telepathic with all my cravings!

She knows your password...
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,169
    MichaelW wrote:
    Pross wrote:

She knows your password...

She can't turn on the computer without my help and any IT problem she has is my fault, even if she is in work 30 miles away and she forgets to save a document! :wink:
  • alanp23
    alanp23 Posts: 696
    You are obviously all amateur omelette makers...

Key points:

-don't beat the eggs, mix them.
    -never flip
    -don't grill
    -its all about the thickness

Congratulations, you now know how to make the perfect omelette -> the only thing you need to do now is practice.

+1 - I had never even considered grilling until I started reading this thread.

Cheese, Ham and Tomato - mmmmmmmmm
    Top Ten finisher - PTP Tour of Britain 2016
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    alanp23 wrote:
    +1 - I had never even considered grilling until I started reading this thread.
    Cheese, Ham and Tomato - mmmmmmmmm
    To be fair the grilling that I (and I dare say everyone else) do is just long enough to melt the grated cheese.
    Leaving it in the pan long enough to melt the cheese overdoes the eggs IMHO.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.