Omelette the best way to cook one??.

kayo74
kayo74 Posts: 299
edited February 2012 in The bottom bracket
Any suggestions on the best way to cook an omelette, also is it best cooked in a pan or microwave?.

Cheers.

Comments

• daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    For one:-
    Sautee any veggies that need it for a filled one and set aside.
    Slowly melt butter in non-stick pan - don't burn it.
    Meanwhile mix 2 eggs, seasoning and a teaspoon or so of milk.
    Add egg mix to pan of melted butter and turn up to full heat. Gently swirl round to get it all cooked. Pierce bubbling up high spots with a fork if required. If no filling is to be used, cook through and finished.
    For filling - once eggs are starting to set add and required filling. Cheese last if used.
    Place under a hot grill until cooked on top.
    When finished, serve onto plate with a flick to fold it over.
    Viola!
    Works for me anyway.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    This is going to be one of those Steel/Aluminium, Mac/PC religious wars.
    Dont use a microwave, it is quite literally, the work of the devil.
    I prefer to start the cooking in quite hot oil/butter to get an initial sizzle.
    I prefer to add cheese into my mix before cooking to give a cheesier texture.
    The omlette continues to cook whilst hot so fry until not quite cooked, grill then flip in half then it will be ready on the plate and not overcooked.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    daviesee wrote:
    For one:-
    Sautee any veggies that need it for a filled one and set aside.
    Slowly melt butter in non-stick pan - don't burn it.
    Meanwhile mix 2 eggs, seasoning and a teaspoon or so of milk.
    Add egg mix to pan of melted butter and turn up to full heat. Gently swirl round to get it all cooked. Pierce bubbling up high spots with a fork if required. If no filling is to be used, cook through and finished.
    For filling - once eggs are starting to set add and required filling. Cheese last if used.
    Place under a hot grill until cooked on top.
    When finished, serve onto plate with a flick to fold it over.
    Viola!
    Works for me anyway.

Will a Banjo suffice, if I don't have a Viola? :)
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • daviesee
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Will a Banjo suffice, if I don't have a Viola? :)
    I'll give you a banjoing for comments like that :wink:
    Oops.
    PS to the above. Pan with butter as hot as possible without burning it.
    The way I do it has the outside well done but soft in the middle like a steak.
    It is all about maximum heat without burning and timing.
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    pour whisked / seasoned eggs into well-oiled medium to hot pan.

once the edges whiten, use a spatula to drag an edge into the centre and tilt the pan so that the runny egg in the middle runs into the now exposed part of the pan. repeat 4 or 5 times with different parts of edge.

middle should be slightly runny on top - add your filling to one side of the omelette. fold over. leave for 1 minute.

serve.
  • I've started using a recipe where you add a little soy sauce and/or sherry to the mix. mmmm
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • daviesee
    I've started using a recipe where you add a little soy sauce and/or sherry to the mix. mmmm
    A touch of Tobasco or cayenne pepper to taste works well too! :P
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,629
    Right! Turn your grill on, give it a chance to warm up. If you have any left over cold potato, slice them up. If not, a quick solution, microwave a small jacket potato. Get the pan hot, slice up your veggies, I like peppers and onion. Whisk up at least four, good sized free range eggs. Slice your microwaved jacket potato into chunks, skin left on, put the oil or butter in the pan. Chuck in the veggies, potato and the MOST important ingredient, 2 sliced Hertz frankfurters, they're soo good, adds a lovely saltiness to the whole omlette. When the ingredients in the pan start to brown, ad the eggs, cook for a min or two, then under the grill for another min or two untill cooked.

Must be served with beans!
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • ohara227
    ohara227 Posts: 225
    Warm pan

Turn on grill

Mix eggs with milk

No salt for me

Pour egg mix into pan

Sprinkle over any veg or so you have prepared, I like ham and pinapple with some peppers

Perhaps some cheese...

Let it cook slowly until golden brown underneath

Remove from hob and put under grill

Let it cook and brown on the top

Doing this it saves flipping and cooks well throughout, slide onto plate and enjoy :-)
    'The hills are alive with the sounds of panting'

Rides:

MTB - Giant 2008 Trance X2
    Road - Giant 2010 Defy 2
    Hybrid - Giant Escape 2011 City 2
  • ohara227 wrote:
    Warm pan

Turn on grill

Mix eggs with milk

No salt for me

Pour egg mix into pan

Sprinkle over any veg or so you have prepared, I like ham and pinapple with some peppers

Perhaps some cheese...

Doing this it saves flipping and cooks well throughout, slide onto plate and enjoy :-)

Technically that is a frittata. But sound likes the way that I prepare an egg pizza!

Can we fix it?
    Yes we can!
  • ohara227 wrote:
    Warm pan

Turn on grill

Mix eggs with milk

No salt for me

Pour egg mix into pan

Perhaps some cheese...

A regular in our household as well. Good way of using up old veg, meat, etc as you can (within reason) chuck in most things. Cheese is a must! martinwitnam is right though, not an omlette ;o)
    A person who aims at nothing is sure to hit it

Canyon Aeroad 7.0 summer missile
    Trek 2.1 winter hack
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    I never knew you could make an omelette in a microwave!!
    ... or that an omelette requires a grill??
    exercise.png
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    I always try to make mine without breaking any eggs, not going to well so far
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    kayo74 wrote:
    Any suggestions on the best way to cook an omelette?.
    Tell the wife/girlfriend/partner what fillings you want and wait.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,145
    +1 for the grill method

it avoids flipping, which is tricky for man-sized omelettes, and gives extra fluffiness
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • seanoconn wrote:
    Right! Turn your grill on, give it a chance to warm up. If you have any left over cold potato, slice them up. If not, a quick solution, microwave a small jacket potato. Get the pan hot, slice up your veggies, I like peppers and onion. Whisk up at least four, good sized free range eggs. Slice your microwaved jacket potato into chunks, skin left on, put the oil or butter in the pan. Chuck in the veggies, potato and the MOST important ingredient, 2 sliced Hertz frankfurters, they're soo good, adds a lovely saltiness to the whole omlette. When the ingredients in the pan start to brown, ad the eggs, cook for a min or two, then under the grill for another min or two untill cooked.

Must be served with beans!

Blimey, that sounds like it could be nice but for me an omelette is supposed to be an easy to make lighter alternative to a proper meal.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,169
    TheStone wrote:
    I never knew you could make an omelette in a microwave!!
    ... or that an omelette requires a grill??

Got to grill it - it makes it rise and go all light and fluffy. The Mrs isn't much of a cook but an omelette is the one thing she does make very well, she was the first person I'd seen use the grill (she also makes a superb sausage casserole).
  • seanoconn
    I used to think eggs were eggs untill my parents got their own chickens. There's a massive difference in taste.

If you're an egg fan, source yourself some good quality eggs.
  • kayo74
    kayo74 Posts: 299
    Thanks people that's been a great help I will now experiment!!.
  • RowCycle
    RowCycle Posts: 367
    How the hell do you do an omelette in a microwave :?
  • pdstsp
    pdstsp Posts: 1,264
    +1 for own chickens - we've got six with 5 laying and they are awesomely good eggs.
  • PaulC7
    PaulC7 Posts: 112
    Mix your eggs in bowl and add seasoning

Melt some marg or butter in pan

Throw in your eggs

Stir not too often or it will just be a big scrambled egg

Add any ham, tomatoes or cheese

When nearly done throw under the grill for a minute

Flip out onto plate and add sauce as required.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    I prefer to make an omelette dessert using Cadbury's Creme eggs.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • nevman
    nevman Posts: 1,611
    NO GRILLING OR MICROWAVING
    Hot pan,add butter,three lightly beaten eggs with tiny bit of milk to loosen.Salt and black pepper.
    Swirl in pan,bring in to centre and turn heat down
    When starts to cook through,add grated cheese,cooked mushrooms,sliced ham etc. and shake of Tabasco
    Shake to edge of pan and holding downwards fold in half.Leave off heat for a minute.Enjoy with green salad and glass red wine.End of.
    Whats the solution? Just pedal faster you baby.

Summer B,man Team Carbon LE#222
    Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    nevman wrote:
    Hot pan,add butter,three lightly beaten eggs with tiny bit of milk to loosen.Salt and black pepper.
    When starts to cook through,add grated cheese,cooked mushrooms,sliced ham etc. and shake of Tabasco
    Shake to edge of pan and holding downwards fold in half.Leave off heat for a minute.Enjoy with green salad and glass red wine.End of.
    You mean bottle surely?
  • nevman wrote:
    It seems we've found a Frenchman. For what it's worth I agree with you; it should be cooked slowly, from one side only, and not browned.
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    This thread has made me hungry, I'm giving it a go.
    Have discovered I have a grill (never used), but I'll leave that for now. I also have no milk! I don't live a normal live.
    I do have ham. Is a 250g pack too much to add to 3 eggs?
    exercise.png
  • seanoconn
    pdstsp wrote:
    +1 for own chickens - we've got six with 5 laying and they are awesomely good eggs.

My parents had 6 chickens till last week, when my dad forgot to close the coop in the evening. Damn fox took four! :(
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    Small heavy pan, heat oil(no butter as it burns too quickly) till it's smoking hot. 3 eggs well beaten and seasoned and any other ingredients prepared and ready to hand. Drop eggs into smoking oil and stir quickly with a wooden spatula. Keep the eggs moving around, they will fluff up well with the extreme heat. Before they cook through add any extras and fold the omelette in half and remove from heat. It will keep on cooking in the hot pan. Should be light and fluffy inside, slightly undercooked with a crispy outer. No need for grills or microwaves.
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    Now thats sorted, whats the best filling??

My vote goes for bacon and mushrooms. Yummmmmmmmmm