Road rash

neilrobins
neilrobins Posts: 102
After 39 years finally taken a decent tumble on my bike this afternoon. Luckily nothing broken but I have a nasty road rash top of right thigh. Any hint or tips to get it healed quickly?
Just used antiseptic cream so far.
Ta

Comments

• Wash with soap & water, keep covered with clean dressing. Do not pick! Once the scab is well formed very gentle finger tip massage round the edges MIGHT help improve blood flow & healing time!
  • cyco2
    cyco2 Posts: 593
    If you don't want a scab then use a graze dressing. They have them in chemists and are very good. I like grazes to weep and stay soft with antiseptic and vitamin E cream. Also, I have found the NHS nurses saying to keep the scab soft use Vaseline.
    ...................................................................................................

If you want to be a strong rider you have to do strong things.
    However if you train like a cart horse you'll race like one.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,558
    get a wound dressing *fast*, hydrogel/hydrocolloid etc.

also, 3m tegaderm film is excellent if it's a larger area (ask at pharmacy counter, they usually have some) - i had road rash on the thigh, area about the size of a cd, sheet of tegaderm on it, healed perfectly with no scar

use sterile wound wash or just water, *no* ointment, dry with sterile lint-free cloth, put on dressing

then it'll heal fast, with minimum scrarring
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Thanks all, great tips
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    Mepitel safetac did the job nicely for me. Available at no extra cost from your local A&E.
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • Girya
    Girya Posts: 23
    Emu oil, get the oil the cream isn't as good.
  • islwyn
    islwyn Posts: 650
    Had a fall today, nicely cut up knee and also got road rash top left thigh, thanks to this thread I've been to Boots and shoved a graze dressing on it! Ta you Doctoring lot.
  • islwyn
    islwyn Posts: 650
    So opening this topic back up...

I have a century sportive week Sunday that I need (want) to attend but I'm recovering from a fall on Saturday, the road rash isn't an issue, it's more the big gash on my knee, that as I keep moving - is struggling to heal. Visited the doctors today for a decent dressing, struggle to bend it when sat, so have to leave it out straight a lot.

Can anyone recommend some exercises I can do so I'll be able to get back on the bike ASAP?

Thank you.