Tyre Discusion

124»

Comments

• lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    always used evo's. first set were snakeskins, again more than 1000 miles on the trails and another 500 or so commuting, and they were given a hard life offroad too. Next set were non-snakeskins, lasted even longer and are still going on the hardtail today, although the rear is pretty damn bold. Now on new 2012 pacestar's and they seem pretty good, will probably migrate those to the hardtail cos as I say the rear on that is slick as hell!!
  • Ghostt
    Ghostt Posts: 192
    Bit of a thread resurrection, sorry!
    About to start an AM build, want something grippy, predictable and fast rolling, if that's not too much to ask! At the moment, using a set of Panaracer Fire XC Pros which I'm very happy with, but as they only make a 2.1" (and a narrow one at that) it's not really suitable.

So, any suggestions?
    At the moment, looking at Hans Dampfs, but have also heard good things about WTB Mutanos/Bronsons. Anyone had any experience with them? Also looked at Ardents/Advantages/High Rollers but to be honest, the Maxxis range confuses me somewhat! How do people find Nevegals rolling wise?
    Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go - T.S. Eliot
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    I have to admit my experience of fast rolling means, no grip. because as soon as a tyre grips alot it doesn't really that fast...

I haven't personally met a tyre that rolls fast and grips.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Mutano is a decent, fast tyre... I'd call it a rear tyre personally but you might like it on the front, it has decent cornering grip but I found it pretty vague. Mainly I got miffed with it because of their crooked sizing- the 2.4 measures almost bang on 2.2, which considering it's pretty heavy and they actually sell a 2.2, isn't cool.

I really like Nevegals personally but they do divide opinion... They're very round, which means they've got really nice neutral handling but also means they don't have the edge grip of a Minion or similiar. But that's OK by me- I find them really consistent, which means I'll happilly ride them harder than I did my Minions. Some folks find the sidewalls fragile, never had a problem there myself but then I'm light. 2.35 Stick-e is sloooooow but sticks like spunk in the bath and works for absolutely anything.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • JDRfive
    JDRfive Posts: 72
    I went with 2.35" dual ply supertacky high rollers at innerleithen last weekend, and really struggled to keep grip. Could easily have been my skill level, but I'm just wondering if this is too narrow now, reading some of these comments 2.35" maxxis is pretty skinny.

The mud was pretty damn sticky, might I add.
    Life's too short to be boring.

09 Kona Dawgma
    08 Orange 224
  • Thewaylander
    JDRfive wrote:
    I went with 2.35" dual ply supertacky high rollers at innerleithen last weekend, and really struggled to keep grip. Could easily have been my skill level, but I'm just wondering if this is too narrow now, reading some of these comments 2.35" maxxis is pretty skinny.

Never did find the high roller to be as great as people claimed, found it to a fine rear tire with a minion up front for dry, or a swamp thing for wet.

Moved on to Schwaulbe muddy Mary now in the freeride variant
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Also don't find the high roller near as grippy as people rave about. Not a fan. Especially not when it's remotely damp.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Aye, + several, Highroller's a decent allrounder but it's not great in the mud, especially sticky mud. Minion ST is a better front IMO if you must have a Maxxis.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    Alberts (2.25 snakeskin rear)

Fat Alberts (2.4 snakeskin front)

predictable do it all (most). Must be all right , I've not switched since I put them on and keep rebuying them.
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    JDRfive wrote:

If that was the race then yeah it was pretty sticky. It wasn't actually that bad for grip though, had plenty where you needed it, just the roots that were really slick because they were covered. Never have been really impressed by the 2.35 dh tyres though but I did find the High Roller, like the Minion and Ardent, has to be leaned properly to get the most bite which is why you get these vastly varying opinions I think.

I was running a Der Baron on the front all weekend which was ideal for the conditions, stayed clear in the sticky bits so kept its grip well but gripped far better on the hardpacked stuff than a spike would. Having a set of wet tyres and dry tyres is a good idea.
  • widge34
    widge34 Posts: 900
    Do the 2.4 hans damf come up small or larger than stated size?
    ----
    Widge.

Bird Zero 2
    Trek Madone 3.5c H2 2013
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I can measure tonight if you want, they (2.35s) certainly don't seem small though.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • widge34
    widge34 Posts: 900
    Ok cheers, but I think if that's the case the tyre will be too big for the rear of my Stumpy. I have a 2.35 High Roller on there at the moment and they come up narrower than their measurement, and I wouldn't want to put anything wider than that.
    ----
    Widge.

Bird Zero 2
    Trek Madone 3.5c H2 2013
  • Thewaylander
    widge34 wrote:
    Ok cheers, but I think if that's the case the tyre will be too big for the rear of my Stumpy. I have a 2.35 High Roller on there at the moment and they come up narrower than their measurement, and I wouldn't want to put anything wider than that.

much bigger than them, i have the 2.35 freeride Muddy Mary and it was slightly(by about a mm) wider then my maxxin Minnion 2.5" dual ply i had up front :) and its teh same freeride carcass used on the hans
  • lawman
    Just a quick question for hans dampf user's, particularly bails, how do they roll in comparison to lighter tyres you used? thinking of chucking a trailstar on the front and leaving a nobby nic on the back
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    They're a bit slower, I guess but it didn't feel like I was pushing tractor tyres around, they wouldn't be my choice for XC racing in the dry. But we live in the soaked UK and I'm not an XC racer, so it doesn't matter. :wink:

They're not noticably slow, and like I said before, the rear does seem to roll better, at the cost of a bit less grip, than the front.

Looking forward to giving them a proper test at Afan on Sunday!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • lawman
    sounds like they could fit the bill perfectly :) might get the bike-discount.de deal and stick one on each bike, trailsta on the mojo and fit the other to the maxlight, like my nobby nics on the back tbh, they roll so well.