Tyre Discusion

Comments

• peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    peter413 wrote:
    Up until not too long ago I only used 2.5 ST Minions on the front of my bike but then I started using a 2.4 Advantage and that has become my all round tyre now. Grippy, very predictable in most conditions and rolls soooo much better than Minions. Plus it is bigger than the 2.5 Minion so that should please you if you want a bigger tyre. Never feel the need for more grip on most normal trails but I am tempted to try an Ardent on the front since that is meant to be even grippier at the expense of some rolling speed. I already use one on the rear of my DH bike and like it so it should be great on the front.

I do however still find myself swapping back to the 2.5 Minion for proper DH and some natural trails but I still ride them fine with the Advantage.

2.35 Minion isn't so hot on the front IMO, the size of it really lets it down since it doesn't stick to the ground as well as a bigger tyre and it still doesn't roll as fast as tyres that are bigger and grippier than it but it does still make a very dependable rear tyre.

Let me know how you end up feeling about the Ardent, heard alot about of it, but it looks like it would be awful if there was a tad of damp on the roots and rocks, as you can imagine in wales the ground is rarely bone dry, but not really muddy due to the rocky well drained nature of alot of the trails :)

It's definitely fine in the wet on the back, rode it all through winter on some very muddy trails and very wet hardpacked trails and it was fine. And it was fine in the sticky conditions racing at the weekend which had a few fresh cut lines, plenty of hardpack, roots and so on. I would imagine it would be fine on the front as well. The way it looks is deceiving, because it looks quite minimal it looks like it should be shit in mud but it actually clears really quite well because of the minimal tread, the mud just doesn't have anywhere to stick.

EDIT just to show what I mean.
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/7711270/ 2.7 Minion after the race.
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/7711263/ 2.4 Ardent after the race.

Neither of those have been touched since finishing my last race run, I just packed the bike straight into the car and that was it. The ardent isn't clogged at all whereas the Minion is pretty clogged up.
  • Any one use the Fat Albert much yet?

Looks intersting in a 2.4 but after some 2.1 nobbys back in my XC days Schwalbe make me nervous :p
  • Mojo_666
    Mojo_666 Posts: 860
    Any one use the Fat Albert much yet?

Looks intersting in a 2.4 but after some 2.1 nobbys back in my XC days Schwalbe make me nervous :p

2.4 Albert on the front, much better than the 2.35 nic was.
  • Mojo_666 wrote:
    Any one use the Fat Albert much yet?

2.4 Albert on the front, much better than the 2.35 nic was.

True but thats not saying much with my previous experience of the nic :S
  • benpinnick wrote:
    If you liked the Blue Groove, you should definitely consider the Hans Dampf. I know I keep banging on about them, but as an all round tyre I've found little to touch them to date.

Ben i can't find these for sale anywhere, lots of positive comments about bt actually non for sale, bar one place and they were £45 tyre!
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    €39 Euro a pop (plus 6 for posting both) = about £35 each. Not so bad...

http://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=8;n ... duct=25109
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Northwind wrote:
    I found Rubber Queens pretty gash in the wet tbh... Too big to cut but not knobbly enough to shovel, and they didn't clear well. Good in the dry though. Baron has impressed me as an all-rounder, sure it's a little slow but I've not yet found anything it won't grip on

If you can find a Specialized Clutch Control, then that's basically a downhill tyre on a trail carcass- slow, but sticks like spunk in the bath. Clutch SX is the same thing but tougher/heavier.

<edit- said Captain by mistake!>

In conclusion- Kenda Nevegal 2.35.

Anyone know if you can get either the Clutch Control or Butcher Control in the UK? I've looked everywhere but can only find them in the US - and they won't ship to the UK. They've had really good reviews and comments in the US.

Bit funny as some of the 2011 & 2012 Speshes are fitted with the Clutch Control - what are you supposed to do if you like it but wear it out?
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Aye, it's a good question that. One of mine was off a new Specialized bike, but the other was from Evans. They thought it was an SX rather than a Control though, officially they don't sell Controls.

I didn't know there was a Butcher Control!
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Northwind wrote:
    Aye, it's a good question that. One of mine was off a new Specialized bike, but the other was from Evans. They thought it was an SX rather than a Control though, officially they don't sell Controls.

I didn't know there was a Butcher Control!

Listed on Spesh's US site: http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBC ... spid=64097

Might have to try my local Evans to see if there's more examples of lack of knowledge!
  • broona
    broona Posts: 414
    Right, I bought a Boardman FS Pro just after Christmas, and whilst looking it over before taking it in to Halfords on Tuesday for its 6 week inspection, I noticed some tyre rub on the rear triangle, only on 1 side.

Pointed this out in Halfords, and he said the tyres were too wide (Maxxis High Roller 2.35) to which I argued that if they were, surely it would rub on BOTH sides!

The wheel looks slightly out of true to my untrained eye, but the question is, does anyone run 2.35+ tyres on a Boardman?

Had a phone call off them today, and they've been in touch with a Boardman rep who says the maximum I should put on is 2.2, although they have trued the wheel a little and say it doesn't rub anywhere near as much as it did.

So, can anyone recommend me a decent tyre narrower than 2.2 and not too expensive please?
  • Northwind
    It's not uncommon for swingarms to have different gaps on each side btw, not neccesarily an issue but I'd still be tempted to check the wheel in another frame if you can or get another shop to examine it.

Nevegal 2.1 DTC is a fairly good equivalent to a 2.35 maxxpro Highroller in terms of performance (lighter, not as tough, comparable for grip and speed) But, tbh you already have a 2.2 tyre fitted, 2.35 Highrollers are way undersized and come up about 2.15 on an XC rim.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • omegas
    omegas Posts: 970
    even go down to a 1.9 if you want more grip and less rolling resistance.
  • broona
    Thanks for the replies, I'll see what my LBS has in stock and take it from there.
  • Northwind
    omegas wrote:

A 1.9 what?
    Uncompromising extremist
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Northwind wrote:
    omegas wrote:

A 1.9 what?
    Inch wheel. He must be from the Anti 29er campaign group. They've stepped up their dismissal of big wheels and now nothing over 2 inch should be ridden.
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    Re spesh clutch, Google gets this http://www.hargrovescycles.co.uk/products.asp?partno=41585 sure i've seen them in the cycle store too.
    and here http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/specialized-clutch-dh-item136485.html

I've got this (std fit) on front of my enduro, very good tyre. I have had a minion on there too, and the clutch gets my vote.
  • DodgeT wrote:
    Re spesh clutch, Google gets this http://www.hargrovescycles.co.uk/products.asp?partno=41585 sure i've seen them in the cycle store too.
    and here http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/specialized-clutch-dh-item136485.html

I've got this (std fit) on front of my enduro, very good tyre. I have had a minion on there too, and the clutch gets my vote.

Thanks but that's the Clutch DH - with dual ply etc. I was after the Clutch Control, which is single ply and a lot lighter but with (I believe) the same tread.
  • Northwind
    Aye, the DH has slightly softer rubber than the SX and Control versions (they're still sticky though). But the tread is the same.

Wish they'd do a Control Hillbilly, that'd be fab for winter enduro events and the like. I use the DH one but damn it's heavy.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • The wheel looks slightly out of true to my untrained eye, but the question is, does anyone run 2.35+ tyres on a Boardman?

I have a Boardman (hardtail) and I've been running Maxxis HR 2.35 for ages and love them! No issues at all with rubbing or clearence etc (even in bad weather). Definatley something not right there i think
    If you don't fall off you're not trying hard enough!
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    But the HT will be different to the FS. You may as well be comparing two different brands.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Fair point, but surley the actual size of the space between the chainstays won't be that much different?
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Clearances will be different, but more importantly the FS will likely be asymmetric to allow the seat stays to bend around the BB/Fr Mech and Seat tube.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • bit bad if you can't squeeze in a mxxiss 2.35 :( i there not particuarly large tyres :(
  • :| Ahh, I see, of course
  • bit bad if you can't squeeze in a mxxiss 2.35 :( i there not particuarly large tyres :(

i was thinking this :roll:
  • broona
    I'll probably stick with the High Roller if I can, some matt black touch up paint and helicopter tape should do the trick, ha ha! ;)
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    completely unrelated, but I think I just found my perfect tyre!! I've always loved the speed and grip of nobby nics, but always wondered what it would be like in a super soft compound for better grip on wet rocks and the like...

http://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=8;n ... id=0;pgc=0

New "Gatestar" compound designed by jared graves, super sticky shoulder knobs and good rolling, praise be I might have to get one of those! *checks tread on rear nic on HT... Cackles at its nearly bold* :lol:
  • broona
    Halfords trued the wheel and made it a little better but still not perfect.

Took it into my LBS and straight away he said it was true but 'dished' wrongly, 10 minutes later it was perfect, and no rubbing at all over 19 miles today, lovely. :)
  • Northwind
    TBH it was never going to be anything else... When you true a wheel you need to return it to the original position- that's the dish, just where the rim is relative to the sides. But if you're not careful, it's easy to true a bent wheel to the bend rather than to the straight, if you know what I mean- so you end up moving all the correct rim to where the bend was, thus making it straight but off to one side. Bit of a basic but easy error tbh.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Northwind wrote:
    I found Rubber Queens pretty gash in the wet tbh... Too big to cut but not knobbly enough to shovel, and they didn't clear well. Good in the dry though. Baron has impressed me as an all-rounder, sure it's a little slow but I've not yet found anything it won't grip on

If you can find a Specialized Clutch Control, then that's basically a downhill tyre on a trail carcass- slow, but sticks like spunk in the bath. Clutch SX is the same thing but tougher/heavier.

<edit- said Captain by mistake!>

In conclusion- Kenda Nevegal 2.35.

how would you compare the rubber queen with with say a minion up front?

Lokoing at the baront her eis a free ride 2.35 wondering how this would measure up. I like the look of hans Dampf but finding a UK based one is hard work :s