Volta ao Algarve

josame
josame Posts: 1,162
edited February 2012 in Pro race
Who gets the nod, EBH or Wiggo?
'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'

Comments

• Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    Edvald Boasson Hagen, Chris Froome, Thomas Löfkvist, Lars-Petter Nordhaug, Richie Porte, Kanstantsin Siutsou, Bradley Wiggins, Xabier Zandio
    cartoon.jpg
  • josame
    Sorry Doobz - I mean't which one will take the lead and 'the nod' from the Team to go for the overall GC
    'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    oh, my bad.. My money is on Froomey :)
    cartoon.jpg
  • josame
    good shout - I'll go for EBH
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    Given that some of the big guys have other priorities later in the season I see Sky going with either Porte or Nordhaug. The latter won last week, so deserves a chance to shine.
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    ^

I would agree with this. I assume it will be the guys looking at the Giro who will be targetting this. I would assume that Wiggins will be looking to keep things similar preparation-wise to last year so will be looking at Paris Nice.

Strong team though, they could pick pretty much anyone there to have a crack at it.
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    smithy21 wrote:
    I would assume that Wiggins will be looking to keep things similar preparation-wise to last year so will be looking at Paris Nice.

If I remember correctly, Wiggins said that he will be delaying his preparations slightly this season. As a result, he said he won't be looking for a result in Paris-Nice. I'm assuming that he is aiming for similar TDF preparations to what Cadel Evans did in 2011 (with races like Romandie).
  • smithy21
    Must have missed that re Wiggins delaying his preparation. He wouldnt want to delay it too much then as Evans won Tirreno Adriatico.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    does Wiggo have any stage races wins on his palmares yet ?

Contador was always able to do well at Paris-Nice and still peak for the Tour as well. Not a fan of this, all races are training for the tour, I like to see riders trying to win all their races.

Love him or hate him that was one thing I liked about Contador he actually went to win the races he entered
  • sherer wrote:

Contador was always able to do well at Paris-Nice and still peak for the Tour as well. Not a fan of this, all races are training for the tour, I like to see riders trying to win all their races.

Love him or hate him that was one thing I liked about Contador he actually went to win the races he entered

He won last year's Dauphine. But typically not such a high placer throughout the season like non-existent Schleck.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    I wtached the Dauphine and seem to have wiped it completely from my memory. yes Schleck is similar to Wiggo in that niether do much until the Tour starts
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    sherer wrote:
    I wtached the Dauphine and seem to have wiped it completely from my memory. yes Schleck is similar to Wiggo in that niether do much until the Tour starts

To be fair, in 2011 Wiggins arrived at the tour having achieved a lot more than Andy Schleck; Paris-Nice overall Podium, Bayern Tour stage win, Dauphine overall win, National Championship win. Schlecks only notable performances pre tour was his podium at LBL and getting in a couple of breaks and winning the "King of the Mountains" by default in the Tour de Suisse. In 2010 Sky put all their chips on the Tour de France and regretted it, hopefully they won't make that mistake again and Wiggins will copy last year and have a serious crack at a couple of pre tour races, whether it be Paris-Nice, Romandie or whatever.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • smithy21
    sherer wrote:

He won last year's Dauphine. But typically not such a high placer throughout the season like non-existent Schleck.

FF surely you meant non-existent Tour de France winner Schleck? :D
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    Todays profile:

etapa_1.jpg
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    sherer wrote:

A. Schleck was pretty aggressive in the Ardennes & the Tour...
  • Talking pre tour. Also being active in the ardennes doesnt account for his non-entity performances the rest of the time.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Just starting with live heli shots. Waiting for the riders and sound:
    http://www.voltaalgarve.com/?page_id=615

Eurosport will be late, due to the usual, girlie tennis.

Right VG good one here:
    http://www.rtp.pt/play/?tv=2#/?tv%253D3 ... 3Ftv%253D3
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • islwyn
    islwyn Posts: 650

Good find Sherlock!
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    Wiggins sporting flowing locks.
  • islwyn
    Wow look at those descend positions!
  • THIS SUCKS. No highlights of this or Oman after 5pm. (when everybody finishes work :roll: )
  • islwyn
    THIS SUCKS. No highlights of this or Oman after 5pm. (when everybody finishes work :roll: )

At 11:30pm you can catch 30mins highlights of Oman Stage 1.
  • Islwyn wrote:
    THIS SUCKS. No highlights of this or Oman after 5pm. (when everybody finishes work :roll: )

:shock: So they have put it in the 'tractor pulling' slot then. :roll:
  • islwyn
    Islwyn wrote:

:shock: So they have put it in the 'tractor pulling' slot then. :roll:

You need to do the same as me... £3.99 a month for Eurosport online viewing, then keep flicking to it every now and then whilst listening to the audio!
  • Etapa 1:
    1. Gianni Meersman (Lotto-Belisol)
    2. Greg Van Avermaet (BMC)
    3. Matti Breschel (Rabobank)
    4. Bjorn Leukemans (Vacansoleil)
    5. Nicolas Roche (AG2R
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Etapa 1:
    1. Gianni Meersman (Lotto-Belisol)
    2. Greg Van Avermaet (BMC)
    3. Matti Breschel (Rabobank)
    4. Bjorn Leukemans (Vacansoleil)
    5. Nicolas Roche (AG2R

Van Avermaet eh? He had a good M-SR last year.
  • roypsb
    roypsb Posts: 309
    So here we go again - Sky Plus for Eurosport highlights of the first stage and what do I get? 48 mins of tennis!

Never mind, they must be showing it again late evening? Nope!!

Add that to the very shabby 30 mins of Oman stage1 earlier - very poor from Eurosport!
  • islwyn
    RoyPSB wrote:
    So here we go again - Sky Plus for Eurosport highlights of the first stage and what do I get? 48 mins of tennis!

Did you fast forward to the end of the tennis? It does switch to the cycling for the last 10 minutes or so... The final 10km.