Leg cramps on longer rides/hard training sessions.

swanny24
swanny24 Posts: 12
Hi All need a little help, on long rides or hard training sessions or spinning sessions my thights or hamstrings are cramping up :?
my diet is good hydration good and fitness good so cant explain these problems, any help would be a bonus.
some people have said mustard pickle juice today somebody said chew TUMS :roll: whats all that about lol
any suggestions out there ??
Swanny

Comments

• t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    There are 2 causes.

Lack of sodium (salt) and lack of potassium (found in potatoes/bananas/leafy veg/tomatoes.

I've been mixing my own drinks with success. scoop maltodextrin - 1/4-1/2 tsp salt - cordial to taste and have only had minor issues.

Also do you stretch after? May be worth foamrolling/tennis ball rolling over the problem muscles.
  • TheBullet
    TheBullet Posts: 58
    edited February 2012
    I've had problems with cramp a fair bit in the past so used to spend a lot of time making sure I took on enough minerals, vitamins, fluids and food etc but to be honest - though this may have helped - it wasn't the answer. For me I found I was more likely to cramp up when I'd been pusing too hard for too long at or above lactic threshold. Though you may think you have a good level of fitness this is irrelavant. If you're pushing too hard for too long then your muscles are going to get tired and you're more likely to cramp.

That's my expereince anyway.

Good luck.
    Winners never quit and quitters never win!!
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    Could be fatigue related as well, there are alot of reasons why you may cramp up, not always linked to diet and hydration. As above you might just be going too hard for too long for the body to take.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Was going to say cold and wet training rides don't help.. I feel more prone to cramping..but doesnt happen very often.. and that doesnt apply to indoor training.. maybe it is just a question of getting the hydration right with a few added salts and stuff...
    Someone mentioned that if it is bad then sachets of the ' holiday trots' stuff from Boots etc can help can help replenish depleted minerals and salts quickly.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    There are 2 causes.
    Lack of sodium (salt) and lack of potassium (found in potatoes/bananas/leafy veg/tomatoes.
    I've been mixing my own drinks with success. scoop maltodextrin - 1/4-1/2 tsp salt - cordial to taste and have only had minor issues.
    Also do you stretch after? May be worth foamrolling/tennis ball rolling over the problem muscles.

Thats not quite true or no top athlete would ever cramp up again and you would be rich :lol: what works for one may not work for some one else.
    from my small amount of research into this, studies have shown that Sodium etc levels in cramping and non cramping Ahtletes are exactly the same, as is hydration.
    Like someone on here i found cutting out Cafeine a big help, Age and lack of conditioning are common causes as well.
    Have a look at this topic?
    http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... =8&t=98967
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    mamba80 wrote:
    There are 2 causes.

Thats not quite true or no top athlete would ever cramp up again and you would be rich :lol: what works for one may not work for some one else.
    from my small amount of research into this, studies have shown that Sodium etc levels in cramping and non cramping Ahtletes are exactly the same, as is hydration.
    Like someone on here i found cutting out Cafeine a big help, Age and lack of conditioning are common causes as well.
    Have a look at this topic?
    http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... =8&t=98967
    The general feel of that forum is caffeine can cause cramping(I didn't know this to even consider it) - compression prevents. I can't help but think though,if studies show that sodium and hydration levels are the same in cramp/non-cramp athletes, that the study wasn't fair in the first place. Unless the athletes tested were erm,100% the same then surely any finding would be inconclusive? Would it not be a case (if sodium was indeed at fault during said study) that one athlete has good levels and the other,doesn't?

Thanks for the link,interesting reading.
  • well on reading all your replys, i have been reading the endless pages on the net, i have found my problem musle is the vastus medialis (teardrop musle) quotes say this musle is weaker than other musles in the group so needs more attention when training or when in the gym.
    most talk about salt and potassium and good hydration but very intresting on the caffine feed when i am at work must drink 4 to 6 cups a day plus my water intake so will for sure look to cut out the coffee to see if that helps.
    but have not yet seen anything on the tums issue that would be intresting to talk to somewon who uses them !!
    thanks for all your help
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    just talking personally, the only time I cramp is when I've gone out too hard, too early. It's very rarely to do with nutrition/hydration with me, as I'm on top of that. If I hit the first two hours at a hard pace, close to threshold, my legs can't quite recover and they cramp. Obvious solution is to go out easier. More strength and endurance help too.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    TheBullet wrote:
    I've had problems with cramp a fair bit in the past so used to spend a lot of time making sure I took on enough minerals, vitamins, fluids and food etc but to be honest - though this may have helped - it wasn't the answer. For me I found I was more likely to cramp up when I'd been pusing too hard for too long at or above lactic threshold. Though you may think you have a good level of fitness this is irrelavant. If you're pushing too hard for too long then your muscles are going to get tired and you're more likely to cramp.

That's my expereince anyway.

Good luck.

This ^

Slightly delayed response but just reiterate what The Bullet says, I only ever experience slight cramp when I ride flat out on longer rides where I'm absolutely hammering it. I've always hydrated myself well and make sure I'm taking on enough electrolytes etc, and in most cases I'd bet my mortgage that the vast majority of cramp sufferers can fix the problem by exposing their muscles to more high intensity rides, rather than worrying about getting on enough salt etc. Of course that's important but it's usually more to do with your body being pushed beyond what it's used to.
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    Considering how much salt is added to basic processed foods, do you really think you need to increase your salt intake?

Maybe we take in too much Sodium in relation to Potassium and other metals, but I'm dubious as to whether additional Sodium is required by the average amateur athlete...
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!