first open race in 6 weeks

trev-spesh-sl3
trev-spesh-sl3 Posts: 56
hey have just entered my first open race, which is in 6 weeks time. have been doing mainly base mile all winter, keeping heart rate below 85% of max, although some days have pushed the pace on a bit. what should i do now to prepare me for my first big race? have previously only done one club race last year and few time trials.

2010 specialized allez
2011 specialized tarmac sl3 expert(cant wait for the good weather)

Comments

• Pseudonym
    Pseudonym Posts: 1,032
    assuming the race will not be run off at below 85% of your max, what else do you think you might be lacking....?
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    If it's a race I think everybody will be trying quite hard to win. They will regularly increase pace to try to break up the big bunch and drop the slower riders who are just hanging in and not doing any work. If you can keep up with these surges you'll be OK. If you can't you'll get dropped.

I suggest you make sure you do sufficient intervals (short duration hard efforts) to prepare your body for the short duration hard efforts you're going to face in the race. Train as you race.

What race is it? What Cat are you?
  • cat 4 race(or A4 as it is here in norhtern ireland). its 5 laps of a 7 mile circuit. circuit mostly rolling. so short intervals the way to go then?

2010 specialized allez
    2011 specialized tarmac sl3 expert(cant wait for the good weather)
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    cat 4 race(or A4 as it is here in norhtern ireland). its 5 laps of a 7 mile circuit. circuit mostly rolling. so short intervals the way to go then?

Yes. 1-3 minutes efforts and sprints, which is what your race will be.
  • cat 4 race(or A4 as it is here in norhtern ireland). its 5 laps of a 7 mile circuit. circuit mostly rolling. so short intervals the way to go then?

Which race is that trev?
    :D