Handlebar width

2»

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    660mm, can't imagine 750+
  • I thought it'd be mad at first but the bike came with them already fitted. Sitting on it for a minute or two it did feel like I was on Peter Fonda's motorbike in Easy Rider, but soon after that it just feels normal.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Bikerguy15 wrote:
    680 for the XC bike, feels just right when i'm 6'1 with a 90mm stem.
    Same stem and bars here, but im 5'11. Had 720 on my pitch but dropped back down to 680 on my stumpjumper.
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    I'm about 6' and run 745mm on my Wolf Ridge and 456 and 760mm on my Flatline. Thinking of going for 745mm on the Flatline as well though but that's more to do with getting more rise on the bars than going narrower. I tend to hold my grips right on the edge of the bars as well whereas most people I see hold them slightly inward of the ends.
  • 710mm

Could maybe do with an eensie tickle more, 730 or 750. Not exactly the top of my upgrade list though.
  • Rushmore
    Rushmore Posts: 674
    Also, Do you guys have your hands inline with the edge of the bars? or do you have a bit of space??
    Always remember.... Wherever you go, there you are.

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838
  • Bikerguy15 wrote:
    680 for the XC bike, feels just right when i'm 6'1 with a 90mm stem.
    Same stem and bars here, but im 5'11. Had 720 on my pitch but dropped back down to 680 on my stumpjumper.

Aye, any more seems overkill.
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    little bit of space...

you only nip the skin on the side of your hand once between the barend and tree... :oops: :shock: :shock: :shock:
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I use 760 for DH and 720 for XC.
    I'm 6'1" & pretty big but I find 780 bars just too wide plus I find when they get too wide line choice sometimes gets compromised to avoid clipping bars on trees.
  • DodgeT wrote:
    Get a hold of some in your LBS, just to see if the grip width seems comfy, but sounds like wider will be good for you.

Thanks Dodge (if that was aimed at me!!) :-) sounds like the best plan. Ta.
  • 640mm, realistically they're too narrow though because I have to hold my bars right at the end for one-finger braking.
  • tenfoot
    tenfoot Posts: 226
    Currently riding 680mm, but thinking of going to 720mm. A lot of my riding is on narrow wooded paths, so i don't want to go any wider.

Will i feel the difference do you think?
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    You might do.

Do you use lock-on grips? You can roll them out past the end of the bars slightly to see how it feels- I wouldn't want to do anything too testing like that but it'll let you get the feel of it.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • tenfoot
    tenfoot Posts: 226
    Hmm - might give that a go, thanks.
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    Well, gave the new bars a good testing up at lee quarry this morning, I know there only 30mm wider overall, but control has definately improved and i felt comfier on the bars too.
    £35 well spent.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Just had a quick spin with my 780mm superstar bars cut down to 740mm, feels very good, reckon i could be close to perfect now :D new xt brakes fitted to the HT too, even though the levers are currently the wrong way round and they aren't bedded in yet, shit a brick these things have some power!!