Handlebar width

DodgeT
DodgeT Posts: 2,255
edited February 2012 in MTB general
I know its personal preference, but thought it may be interesting to see how wide you all are :) There doe's seem to be a lot in the mags about wider bars being the way forward etc..
Just swapped the 730's on my enduro to some superstar 780's, they feel good but need a quick ride to check for sure.

So me, 6' 1 with 780's (for now)

What do you guys run?

Comments

• oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    I bought a 760mm chromag fubar, trimmed to 730mm. Also on a enduro but I'm a bit shorter than you at 5'10".
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • Mojo_666
    Mojo_666 Posts: 860
    710mm for me, as wide as I would like to get and still fit through things at speed without fear of striking...having said that my little finger is broken....from striking a rock.
    That was carelessness not bar width tho. :roll:
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Fairly narrow, but I'm not a fashionista. I even still have 26" wheels.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Currently 710mm on the HD, 780mm on the maxlight, but they definitely need triiming to 750mm or so, gonna give these a try and see how it goes, sometimes think the bars on the mojo are a touch narrow
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,660
    780 sounds like crucifixion to me: are you doing DH? I run 660 on the XC bike and 710 on The Spicy (I'm 5'10").
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pilch
    pilch Posts: 1,136
    I'm 5' 7 ish 700mm on the (fashionable) 29er, any smaller feels wrong
    A berm? were you expecting one?

29er race

29er bouncer
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Started at 680mm to narrow, then 710mm better but still felt narrow, 780mm felt to wide when cornering at speed, cut down to 760mm perfect!
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Running 750mm on my slayer (I'm 6ft 1). They feel perfect, don't think I'd want to go any wider/skinnier. That said, I did have a good crash yesterday as a result of a clipped bar on a tree...
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    760mm warheads but I look like 'a flea riding a dog's nutsack' as Guy Martin would put it
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Have settled on 710-730 for my bikes. The Voltage came with 750s and the steering felt great but my arms were straight (6'2", gibbon)

Also bought some used RF Atlas FR bars for the Ramones I think they were 780mm & hacksawed 50mm off straightaway.
  • DodgeT
    Just chopped them down to 760mm, they feel better, will only know for sure when I get out on it properly at the weekend though.
  • 1mancity2
    DodgeT wrote:
    Just chopped them down to 760mm, they feel better, will only know for sure when I get out on it properly at the weekend though.

Will be perfect.......
  • BigLee1
    BigLee1 Posts: 449
    670 on my Dawg Deluxe, wouldn`t be able to fit 2 bikes in the car if I went wider!
  • ste_t
    ste_t Posts: 1,599
    Was running 750, had a bright idea so chopped it down to 720 but found it too narrow and bought a new bar at 780. A couple of rides in I've found it a tad awkward to get into the car, a nightmare to get in/up/down/out of our second floor flat as I can't get through the bloody doors, so will probably chop it down to 760 and that will be bang on.

5' 10" but I've got fairly broad shoulders (still feels like I'm doing pull ups when going up steep climbs though.)
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,660
    Actually the tree dodging (at places like Cannock) and getting the bike into the back of the car would be tricky if I went much wider than 710 !
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • 680 for the XC bike, feels just right when i'm 6'1 with a 90mm stem.
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    chromag fubar os 730mm on the butcher chromag fubar accute 710mm on the stylus. and a pair of pro vanderhams 745mm but no bike to put them on... :(:(:(
  • 750mm on the Nomad and 745mm on the Fsr xc and i'm 6ft 5. 710mm just feels that little bit too narrow
  • Stevo 666 wrote:
    Actually the tree dodging (at places like Cannock) and getting the bike into the back of the car would be tricky if I went much wider than 710 !

You might be surprised! I fit it through the gap in a split tree-trunk a few times lately, that was fun. And yeah, in the back of the car the bars are up behind the front seats rather than threatening to go through the rear window, definitely have to put it in that way round. And down the side of my house to get to the shed involves a bit of juggling the front wheel too actually :)
  • 725mm: http://raceface.com/components/handleba ... /atlas-am/

I'm 5' 8" and could defo handle wider but these feel good.
  • Ghostt
    Ghostt Posts: 192
    711mm Sunline V1 OS bars, I'm 5ft 10". Feel perfect, upgraded from 680mm and the difference in feel is huge. Wouldn't want to go any wider, like being able to nip through gaps in trees, plus the balance between control and steering response is great with a 70mm stem.
    Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go - T.S. Eliot
  • Rushmore
    Rushmore Posts: 674
    edited February 2012
    Just fitted some 750's to my commencal premier HT From 650

They feel awesome but havnt used them in anger yet...

I always had to hang half my hand off the handlebars on the 650's due to being so cramped and me being really broad..

I'll keep ya posted. I feel like I'd be alot faster down hill now...
    Always remember.... Wherever you go, there you are.

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    710mm seems to be my size. Had some 760s, some 800s, but both ended up getting either cut or replaced.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • 5'6" running 710mm handlebars on both my bikes and they feel great for me.
  • 750mm Havoc's on my Trek; 710mm Wiser's on my Rockhopper. Works well for me, only 5'8 (and a bit ...).
  • DodgeT
    milko9000 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

You might be surprised! I fit it through the gap in a split tree-trunk a few times lately, that was fun. And yeah, in the back of the car the bars are up behind the front seats rather than threatening to go through the rear window, definitely have to put it in that way round. And down the side of my house to get to the shed involves a bit of juggling the front wheel too actually :)

Hmm, yeah, there's a tree gap at gisburn which is going to get even more cuts on it now courtesy of me :lol:
  • 1mancity2
    DodgeT wrote:
    milko9000 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Hmm, yeah, there's a tree gap at gisburn which is going to get even more cuts on it now courtesy of me :lol:

760mm go through np, just got to be precise, so you may struggle :P :P :P
  • ok noob here..so ready for the flames..hehehehehehe :P

I have also been wondering wether to change the bars on my Cube Acid. I find at slow speed I just don't have that much control and I wondered whether longer bars would help? Im 6ft 3 but I think more importantly I have wide shoulders, like v wide..lol so that when I sit on the bike my hands naturally sit on the ends of the bars. Though saying that, I never get pain or discomfort whilst out on the trusty steed all day so perhaps my issue is just about having crap technique :D
  • DodgeT
    Get a hold of some in your LBS, just to see if the grip width seems comfy, but sounds like wider will be good for you.

At £35 delivered the superstar ones are nice. I went for the gunmetal ones, they look a bit naff in the pic on the site, but in the flesh they are nice.

@ mancity - bugger off, i'll show you :)