Fake Seatpost??

Rushmore
Rushmore Posts: 674
edited February 2012 in MTB general
Hi all,

I just bought this seatpost from the classifieds on here..

Fitted it to my bike,, sat on it and the seat swivelled round!

On further inspection the seat clamp pulled out of the post with little or no resistance..

Could I have been sold a fake??

Aslo what advice can you give me as to getting the money back?

it is supposedly a FSA SL-K Zero Setback seat post...

8we8uc.jpg
vr6lc7.jpg
5mepef.jpg
Always remember.... Wherever you go, there you are.

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
De Rosa R838

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    looks fine to me.

that is how many are put together .

it is FUBARed though.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nicklouse wrote:
    looks fine to me.

it is FUBARed though.

I reckon a decent epoxy would sort it.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse wrote:
    looks fine to me.

it is FUBARed though.

I reckon a decent epoxy would sort it.
    it should as that is what was used before but the question is why did it go?

often it will be the result of some issue that may happen again. just my thoughts.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Rushmore
    So what are your suggestions?

I bought this 2'nd hand off the classifieds section..

I sent the money as a paypal gift, so can't open a dispute....

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838
  • nicklouse
    get some suitable epoxy and see how it goes. or bin it.
  • mcj78
    mcj78 Posts: 634
    personally i'd be emailing the seller - i've never had a seatpost randomly come apart on me, even bonded carbon ones that were punished on commuting bikes for years, looks unlikely that it was fine prior to you taking delivery of it...

have a read at this http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40050&t=12830477

J
    Moda Issimo
    Genesis Volare 853
    Charge Filter Apex
  • Rushmore
    Contacted the seller..

Been completely fobbed off..

Heres the thread..

viewtopic.php?f=40050&t=12834335

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838
  • mkf
    mkf Posts: 242
    if what you say is true then seller is a dishonest turd.
    i'd go round and stick the post where it doesn't swivel.
    i'll be staying well clear of his username in classifeds
    sorry to say you just lost £35 unless you can fix it
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    And don't be stupid and pay via PayPal gift. Pay the extra 3% if people are funny about it. Cheaper in the long run.
  • Beardface
    Beardface Posts: 5,495
    I saw that thread, which sucks mate.

I've sold loads of parts on here, and if anybody ever has an issue with anything I sell, I'd be happy to refund within the first 2 weeks/month or so (depending on part sold). Personally, I would refund (full or partial) and apologise. Seller is being a bit harsh IMO, but then that is the trouble with buying through a forum :(

If the seller is refusing to budge, try the epoxy, otherwise, post it back with an ass biscuit shoved in the hole where the clamp was ;)

I had one of these posts on an old Marin, gave it tons of abuse and it never failed.
  • nicklouse
    and dont forget to put a post in the feed back section.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Rushmore wrote:
    Contacted the seller..

Been completely fobbed off..

Heres the thread..

viewtopic.php?f=40050&t=12834335
    Sucks to be you mate, but you kind of asked for it by paying by gift in all honesty. Bet you won't be doing that again ;)
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • mcj78
    mcj78 Posts: 634
    Stav wrote:
    I saw that thread, which sucks mate.

I've sold loads of parts on here, and if anybody ever has an issue with anything I sell, I'd be happy to refund within the first 2 weeks/month or so (depending on part sold). Personally, I would refund (full or partial) and apologise. Seller is being a bit harsh IMO, but then that is the trouble with buying through a forum :(

If the seller is refusing to budge, try the epoxy, otherwise, post it back with an ass biscuit shoved in the hole where the clamp was ;)

I had one of these posts on an old Marin, gave it tons of abuse and it never failed.

^can't disagree with any of that to be fair - an arse-biscuit through the post, whilst hysterically funny, could get you into trouble though :lol:
    Moda Issimo
    Genesis Volare 853
    Charge Filter Apex
  • ste_t
    ste_t Posts: 1,599
    "Pristine, new and unused - only fitted to bike."

"used once for thrash about on boxing day with no probs"

Sounds like someone is taking the obvious. Used it, broke it, ripped you off.

FSA SL-K carbon seatpost. Planet-X. £40.

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/SPFSSLK/fsa-sl-k-carbon-seatpost
  • How was it packed?
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Looks fake to me. There's a load of fake fsa on eBay. pics not the best quality, but the head looks slightly off to me.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • I'd say he just buggered it, and tried to sell it on.

Just because something breaks doesn't mean it's a fake, especially when buying through used sites.
  • Rushmore
    How was it packed?

No box, just in a long envelope,..

I emailed him and asked for my money back. And said I was being a dick...

All I want is it to be resolved... Shame he didn't leave a return address...

Otherwise he'd be payed a visit and shown where exactly this post would fit best...

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    I'm certain that kinda damage wouldn't be done in the post, there's something not right about it, as any seller worth they're salt would at least offer something in return for your misfortune, I know i would and have done in the past, things in life happen so get on with it imo, sounds like the seller is being abit harsh about it to me...
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    That's one of the ways carbon seatposts fail, so I don't think it's neccesarily abused or fake. But I do think the seller's either a thief or a shitehawk. Could be both.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Northwind wrote:
    That's one of the ways carbon seatposts fail, so I don't think it's neccesarily abused or fake. But I do think the seller's either a thief or a shitehawk. Could be both.
    I don't think he cares.
    gb901 wrote:
    Sticks and stones. Oh, and get a life!
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • heez29
    heez29 Posts: 612
    The post doesn't look fake. Also it was said in the other thread that the post looks different to the pictures... it looks the same.

Personally if I was a seller I wouldn't fully refund it, maybe partial.
    If you were to buy a second hand car and the clutch packed in after a month would you expect a full refund? The seller to buy you a new clutch? No.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Reading not your strong point? If it packed in as I tried driving out of the car lot I would.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Rushmore
    heez29 wrote:
    The post doesn't look fake. Also it was said in the other thread that the post looks different to the pictures... it looks the same.

If you were to buy a second hand car and the clutch packed in after a month would you expect a full refund? The seller to buy you a new clutch? No.

hold on... the post is completly different..

For one, the carbon fibre pattern is not present on the BR review. And the graphics are also different..

And no, your right.. if a clutch had packed up after a month, I wouldn't even ask for a partial refund i'd sort it..

I received the item in this condition!!! Lets look at this from your aspect..

If you bought a car that was advertised as in full working order... but turned up with no seats.... would you be happy??? :roll:

Also the seller later went on to say it was unused.. but this is untrue as there is marks on the seatpost from adjustment in a couple of places... some pretty high to suggest a real seat post drop for a decent...

Nowhere in the post did it say the clamp was un attached from the post??

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838
  • Rushmore
    Rushmore wrote:
    heez29 wrote:

hold on... the post is completly different..

For one, the carbon fibre pattern is not present on the BR review due to being manufactured differently. And the graphics are also different..

And no, your right.. if a clutch had packed up after a month, I wouldn't even ask for a partial refund i'd sort it..

I received the item in this condition!!! Lets look at this from your aspect..

If you bought a car that was advertised as in full working order... but turned up with no seats.... would you be happy??? :roll:

Also the seller later went on to say it was unused.. but this is untrue as there is marks on the seatpost from adjustment in a couple of places... some pretty high to suggest a real seat post drop for a decent...

Nowhere in the post did it say the clamp was un attached from the post??

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838
  • ste_t
    heez29 wrote:

Don't be so ridiculous. The seller stated in his ad that it was brand new and unused, then says it was used for a 'thrash,' but then makes some garbled excuse about confusing it with some other post that he used instead.

It isn't like the post was used for a month. Apparantly arrived, fitted, sat on, already broken. The sellers reaction only supports the opinion that he knew about it in the first place and failed to mention that it was fooked. Obviously the majority have better morals than both the seller and yourself.
  • Rushmore
    i know this sounds a bit extreme.. but I think it's due to more principle then anything, and the fact he's in my opinion a complete tw@ who thinks he's untouchable..

I've also had a few e-mail exchanges with the seller and he has shown no intention or desire to help resolve this issue.. not even partly...

I've got it now narrowed down to 2 names and addresses.. ( due to my super sleuth friends! who are incredibly clever in all that sort of thing... )

I'm off to citizens advise tomorrow to see what they can help me with.. And also going to call up Paypal..

I did warn him... and gave him probably more then 10 opportunities to resolve this in a dignified way..

Its gonna suck to be him for the foreseeable future..

it could have all been so easy as well....

EDIT: Although, Giles if your reading this and actually want to act like a real man and sort it out like a gentlemen then this fiasco can stop right now, I get my money back, you get your dodgy post back and we can shake hands over it and get back to doing what we all are here to do, and thats RIDE! :wink:

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838
  • ste_t
    If you do get your money back, don't forget to buy a brand spanking new one for £40 ;-)
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    heez29 wrote:

Man I love totally irrelevant counterexamples! Here's a better one, if you bought a car sold as "pristine, new and unused" and it turned out to be broken completely in half, would you just go "ah well"
    Uncompromising extremist
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    heez29 wrote:

The post does look fake, if you compare it to a real one, or at least from the not that great pictures you will see the forging on the head is slightly different, specifically that the shaping on the curves isnt quite right, and the angles on the clamp look a little un-crisp from lazy copying of the forge mould. On a real one the forging above the post is two semicircles that match each other's profile - on this post the bottom curve is more of a 'v'.

vr6lc7.jpg

Like I said, hard to tell from the pictures posted, but its FSA, it was bought on eBay, presumably cheap, chinese knock-off crap. Its broken, maybe the sellers glued it together with a bit of superglue and sold it. Maybe it genuinely broke the first time the poster rode it. Either way its gash.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.