Too cold to ride?

Contador\'sbutcher
Contador\'sbutcher Posts: 18
edited February 2012 in The bottom bracket
The forecast where i live (http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/tom ... ipcode=al3)
tomorrow is bitterly cold but dry: is that safe to ride? I have a 25 mile commute, which I have not done for a week, and want to get back on my bike. Any advice?

Comments

• but for the cold, excellent conditions. i let a bit of air out of the tyres, avoid grids and stuff, rides i've done since the arctic blast my feet and finger tips have been lke ice for the first couple of miles, one thing i found warms me up is spinning in a lower gear more for a mile or two.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • I've been out tonight and it was absolutely fine, just layer up well :)
    First love - Genesis Equilibrium 20
    Dirty - Forme Calver CX Sport
    Quickie - Scott CR1 SL HMX
    Notable ex's - Kinesis Crosslight, Specialized Tricross
  • It's only -4 degrees, stay off the shiny bits and MTFU :wink:
    Coffee is not my cup of tea

Moda Fresco track racer
    Kinesis Crosslight Pro 6 winter commuter
    Gunnar Hyper X
    Rocky Mountain ETSX
    Cannondale Scalpel 3000 (retro-bike in bits)
    Lemond Poprad Disc, now retired pending frame re-paint.
  • It's only -4 degrees, stay off the shiny bits and MTFU :wink:

:lol: I knew someone would say that...
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    It's only -4 degrees, stay off the shiny bits and MTFU :wink:

:lol: I knew someone would say that...

Just in case you didn't get that

Seriously though. For me it's all about hands and feet, if you can somehow keep them warm you'll be ok.
  • cwm
    cwm Posts: 177
    mtfu,wtf?
    had to google that to find out what it meant :shock:
    now sharing my plods on
    http://www.strava.com/athletes/cwm
  • minus 4 is that all,

i did 2 x 80 mile rides last week it was minus 8 both times i went out, no cafe stops, take a flask with ya and some malt loaf, and get some neoprene overshoes on, and spin a low gear, oh watch out for the shiny bits
    last night here was minus 17 frozen_face_jan12.jpg
  • donkykong wrote:
    minus 4 is that all,

i did 2 x 80 mile rides last week it was minus 8 both times i went out, no cafe stops, take a flask with ya and some malt loaf, and get some neoprene overshoes on, and spin a low gear, oh watch out for the shiny bits

Respect, if nothing else but for overcoming the wind resistance of the beard icicles :shock:

Moda Fresco track racer
    Gunnar Hyper X
    Rocky Mountain ETSX
  • donkykong wrote:
    minus 4 is that all,

This photo provides more compelling evidence than I thought existed for why beards are just so wrong, nice helmet though :D
  • This photo provides more compelling evidence than I thought existed for why beards are just so wrong, nice helmet though :D[/quote]

Oi, it's the only hair on my head that is in remotely the right place :?

Moda Fresco track racer
    Gunnar Hyper X
    Rocky Mountain ETSX
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    Be super aware of the bits that look slippy. Be aware of the bits that don't look slippy. But wrap up warm, get out there and ride. No excuses. MTFU. :)
  • DrKJM
    DrKJM Posts: 271
    Never thought of ski goggles to keep the cold off. Been using my cycling glasses on my commute. Goggles too much for a quick tootle into the city when it's cold and snowy? I bought crap ones so frankly they're not much good for skiing and need replacing anyway.
  • Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    Yes I've been having frozen eyeball syndrome going downhill these mornings. Hadnt thought about ski mask. I was just going to break out my sunglasses now the mornings are light.
  • In the end I rode to work and back today - just under 50 and was fantastic - roads were bone dry
  • AndyD2574
    AndyD2574 Posts: 1,034
    Its never too cold to ride............just wear more!! :D
    Specialized S Works Venge
    Argon18 E114
    Specialized Langster Single Speed
    Scott Spark Expert 29'er
    GT Avalanche
    http://www.glasgowgreencycleclub.co.uk
  • ChrisSA
    ChrisSA Posts: 455
    donkykong wrote:
    frozen_face_jan12.jpg

I think you've blown a seal...
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,587
    ChrisSA wrote:
    I think you've blown a seal...
    Is that legal?

On the plus side, we now know what the result looks like.
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    Fall off on the ice, and break a bone, and realise that it isn't worth the risk.

Not about staying warm, more about staying safe. If it is below zero then the roads will be lethal if you stray off the main routes.

For the sake of that gamble, I'm not risking it.

Lost track of the number of threads on this subject - if you are having to ask ,you are worried. If you are worried there is a risk. Make your own bloody mind up on the risk, just like you have to do with every other gamble in life.

Every year I know someone who falls off, and someone who doesn't. The odds will get you.
  • Anyone lower than this today?
    432344_10150589703428984_697708983_8946282_1277935860_n.jpg

It does say -16C, wish this bloody board would auto-resize photos! :evil:
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    potatoes-other.jpg
  • bigjim
    bigjim Posts: 780
    Not worth the risk. I came off a couple of weeks ago on black ice. You can't always see the danger bits. 2 years ago I came off and broke my arm. I've now got unrepairable damage to that arm even after an op for the trapped nerve. I hate being off the bike but I hide in the boring gym or go for long fast walks until it improves.
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    Went out one of the coldest days last week,coming across a road width icepatch fairly increases your heart rate :D
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    you should also factor in could you afford the financial implications of fall??

My finances at present are as tight as a scotsman so any damage that put the bike out of action would mean no riding for many weeks if not months.

Also could you afford to be off work for however long it would take to heal??

My company recently abolished 100% sick pay and it is now at my managers discretion,

Trying to explain that i came off on black ice while riding in sub zero temps would probably result in little sympathy and NO sick pay!!!

yes it is annoying looking out the window now to see bright sunshine and clear blue sky and the local roads do look safe, but all it takes is one frozen patch and you'll be hitting the tarmac faster than Cavendish in the final stage of the tour of qatar :oops:
  • Got out for a few miles this morning, the average temperature was -4 so we knew it'd be a slow steady one . Luckily we only came across a few spots that were dicy and everyone managed to stay upright (despite our back wheels often slipping out from under us).
    I think in this weather as long as you take it steady and can spot the risky parts in advance it can be very enjoyable
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,146
    even london was so cold that the water turned to slush in the bottle, must be really nippy out of town

did the first lap of my route slow to see if there were any dodgy areas, aside from a spot with a water leak where the road had a huge amount of salt spread over it, things were nice and clear, just had to keep going hard enough to avoid freezing

stopped for a snack and a coffee, sat outside in the sun, lovely and warm!
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • If you are really worried about falling off, then either don't go or get yourself a set of spike tyres. They work brilliantly on ice, are fine on the road if a bit hard work and make a really odd sound, like riding on rocksalt.

Moda Fresco track racer
    Gunnar Hyper X
    Rocky Mountain ETSX
  • Been out off road on the cross bike today, it was cold but it was a great ride/workout snow drains your energy reserves, and just use a bit of "cocum" where icey patches are concerned.

A little common sense goes a long way. :D
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • roypsb
    roypsb Posts: 309
    It was -7 at 0930 round our way today. Itching to get out because it was absolutely gorgeous clear blue sky but checked the forecast for tomorrow and decided that was a better bet as it'll be a fair few degrees warmer.

You guys should drop the MTFU crap - it's not big or clever, a very neanderthal thing to say!
  • ryan_w-2
    ryan_w-2 Posts: 1,162
    Went out in -15 today on the MTB. Had to come back after 30 mins since the oil in the forks started to freeze! Every bearing had frozen too, not good!
    Specialized Allez Sprint Disc --- Specialized S-Works SL7

IG: RhinosWorkshop
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    RoyPSB wrote:
    You guys should drop the MTFU crap - it's not big or clever, a very neanderthal thing to say!

oooooh, get you !!.......... handbags at dawn !!!
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved