Hypothetical: I want to own/ride a motorbike/moped

Comments

• motorcycles, scooters or even cycles can be dangerous, however i would much rather be knocked off a motorcycle than a cycle, as at least i would be wearing proper protective clothing and as for just falling off, the low speed cycle crash i had still hurts after 4 months, the one motorcycle slide i had, i just got up and carried on. You are responsible for your own safety, treat all others as potential idiots and you should have no problems, also be very very observant, just as you should cycling. If you are doing the correct speed for the road(not just legal speed) and are in the correct position you should be able to avoid all hazards.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,766
    DDD, your last post is dead right. You should think about it. If the Mrs isn't keen, don't do it. Riding around London is often pointless, you can get across town quicker.
    NSB you are right. Protective gear is better on a motorbike than on a pushbike. I get a bit warm cycling in full leathers even in this weather. Never mind the looks I get. Restraint is required on the part of your throttle hand. There's a saying "There are two types of rider. Those that have fallen off, and those that are going to." The implication being that you learn the hard way. The thrill of riding a fast motorbike is incredible, and addictive. Which is why I say to DDD if the Mrs isn't keen don't start, giving up is hard. I stopped because I wasn't enjoying riding a motorbike in town any more.
  • Greg66 wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I don't really want a lean forward into the speed dial superbike.

I always thought of them more as drape-yourself-over-the-petrol-tank-and-hold-on.

Seriously, dude, you have a child now. Have you even raised this with Mrs DDD?

I thought life was about risk taking?

It is.

But what a husband perceives to be an acceptable risk may not be what his wife and mother of his child perceive to be an acceptable risk.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Thanks for all the advice everyone. I think I'll leave this to develop into a what is more dangerous motorcycles/mopeds/scooters or cycling debate.

Greg and GTVLusso, (i) I haven't yet asked Ms DDD (ii) safety is a big issue and I wouldn't feel comfortable going along the M25, so wouldn't be doing that. I'd keep it to the 20miles across London which doesn't involve the 40+mph stretch of the North Circular. (iii) I am weighing up the cost of gear as well as the cost of buying and running the bike and passing the test.

On the big bike subject it'd only be a 125cc. And the Ms DDD may still say "no".

Good man!

Even though I have been riding big hairy motorbikes for the best part of 20 years, Mrs Gtvlusso insisted I quit when junior came along. Ducati transformed into new kitchen.....

Go for a CBT and get your full licence, at least you will then have the option for small moped or big bike and the best training possible. Also gives you allot of on-bike time, see whether you actually like it.

moped/motorbike storage is also a pain in the ar$e....they need locking up to something or in something and big motorbikes don't like being left out on the road in the cold winter.....batteries go flat, alarm systems die, carbs ice up, airboxes ice up (I had this happen at 90mph on the motorway in -5 conditions!). Exposed steel and alloy parts degrade due to water and road salt.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Edit: Stupid question.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • jamesco
    jamesco Posts: 687
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    OK so hypothetically speaking I want to own and ride a moped/motorcycle to and from work.

What would I need?
    You'd need to really want to ride a motorbike. That's the only reason to do it as (IMHO) the cost savings are too small for the very real risk of death & injury. I love, love, riding motorbikes, but I'd never push it on someone else, 'cause if they got walloped, it'd hurt too much...
  • hi only having driven through london never taken my bike (motor) through there if you regularly are crawling through traffic a 125 will be ideal , it is small / quick enough if everyone else is going relatively slowly.

If you can do it the direct access is the way to go , this allows for progression to a bigger bike if you a, want to b, can afford it.

The bigger the bike the more fun it is but with that comes in theory better fuel economy ( this happens if you ride it economically ) rare. the added costs for a bigger bike if you get time look at price of a rear tyre !!

Purely for a steady commute , get a sit up 125 , what you will do your cbt on , the bits are cheaper , the tyres , fuel , tax and ins will all be cheaper.

I ride a 1050 but it is for fun , work on the theory everyone else is trying to knock you off , in advanced rding this is called defensive but the same theory applies.

If you are getting kit the cheapest I find is generally GEORGEWHITE motorcycles.

Buy the best kit you can afford , for those other bikers on here the cold puddle in the groin area at 60 - 70 can be demoralising !!!

Good luck with it all.
    Enigma Esprit Di2 - Go tI ! Summer !
  • fizz
    fizz Posts: 483
    Car license or no car license, you must do a CBT first ( compulsory basic training ) that allows you out on the road on nothing bigger than a 125 or 12bhp, you must have L plates. That lasts for two years.

After that you have to take a theory test, the a Mod1 test, and then a Mod 2 test. If you are under 19 no matter what you do you will be restricted something with up to but no more than 33bhp.

Direct access will take you through all the steps and usually take a week of training. Then you'll need a helmet ( legal requirement ) You'll want gloves and jacket, some trousers or over trousers, probably some boots as well.

Its bl**dy expensive, if you are thinking its a cheap way to get about, its not. Then once you've got the bike theres keeping it running, typically service intervals are shorter than a car, My GSXR needs a service or at the very least an oil change every 3500miles. Tyres are expensive, Typically last rear tyre I bought cost £150 and only lasted 3000 miles or so. But thats a sportsbike for you.

As a new rider, insurance is also expensive to.

I'd avoid anything with less than 125cc, its just not fast enough to keep up with traffic, and even that is still IMHO dangerous on a fast A road. Let alone a dual carrigeway. IIRC something like a 50cc scooter is not allowed on a motorway.

CG125 as discussed is a good start, you can do your CBT and get on the road with that they arent expensive to buy are cheap to run and you can sell it on again for what you paid for it, if you decide you dont like or want something bigger.

Personally I'd do direct access and start off on a middleweight sport touring bike so something like.

Kawasaki ER6
    Suzuki SV650
    Suzuki Bandit 600 or 650
    Suzuki Gladius
    Honda Hornet
    Yamaha Fazer or FZ6
    Kawasaki Z750

All are around the 70 to 80bhp mark and are quite capable of scarring the living hell out of you, are quick enough to get you into trouble and out of it again. These will be able to keep up with traffic etc on the motorway / dual carrigeway A road and the upright riding position of something like the Bandit or Hornet is great for commuting through town with.

Again as above, buy the best kit you can afford and think about a back protector as well. With regard to helmet choice, you dont need that expensive race replica lid, but do make sure whatever you buy fits you properly. A £50 helmet that fits you properly is better than a £500 one that doesnt.

I started off on a 125, then got an SV650S, had that two years and I've my GSXR 750 for 6 years now.

I'm not trying to put you off, but it is expensive to get started, but once you do riding a motorcycle is one of the most enjoyable, rewarding, fantastic experiences you'll ever do. Its taken me to places i would have never dreamed of going and I've met some great people and made some fantastic friends through it.

Its as dangerous as you make it, you can mitigate risk by buying decent kit and also investing in your riding skills and getting more training once you have passed your tests. But when you start riding you are at your most vulnerable.

Dunno if that helps or not...

Edit these links might be useful reading

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Le ... DG_4022430

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Le ... DG_4022568

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Le ... /DG_178328
  • DonDaddyD
    Greg66 wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    (i) I haven't yet asked Ms DDD

/end thread

/end pipe dream

/end notion of being Boss of household.

I got home.

"Honey I know you hate it but I'm watching one born every minute" Says Ms DDD

<<Sigh>> "OK babe where's dinner". Says I.

"Can you remember what I looked like pregnant, I can't, I can't even remember the pain?" asks Ms DDD.

"You looked lovely dear. Can I have a motorbike?" I try to sneak the question in.

"Why can we never have an interactive conversation, I ask you something and you ask me something completely random!" She retorts with the slightly raised I'm-gonna-beat-you-down voice.

Shit she caught on I think.

"And NO! You're f*cking Dad, it's too dangerous so grow up!"
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    LOL.

No Ducati for DDD!

My neighbour used to ride motorbikes. Wifey put an end to that too. I imagine he occasionally misses his ex who came round to wipe his arse for him twice a day when he broke both of his thumbs after a motorbike crash!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • That could be construed as a NO , but in reality is more of I am willing to think about it in my book !
    Enigma Esprit Di2 - Go tI ! Summer !
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    weirdly, my Mrs wanted me to get a motorbike...should that be telling me something?

i've christened my CG125 the "Taliban bike" as that's all you ever see them riding in the desert
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    velohutts wrote:
    In reality that is a NO, but it could be construed as more of I am willing to think about it in my book !
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Did you find your dinner though?!

Was it in your lap?
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    I passed my direct access about 4 years ago when I was around 39. Got a Honda CB600-F Hornet. Unfaired, and powerful enough to be fun, but not hard enough to handle that I'd be a liability. =)

The kids were around 5 and 9 at the time, but wifey was fully supportive.

The thing is, I've had the bike since then, and to be honest I hardly ride it. If I'm going somewhere close to home, I'll ride my bicycle. If the sun's out, I'd rather be in lycra than leathers. If I have to transport items, the car's more practical. If I'm going any distance (e.g. motorway), the car's more practical because 70mph+ on an unfaired bike just seems hard work. As a latecomer to motorbikes, I didn't have the confidence that I have on a bicycle; I'm sure I corner faster and bank over further on my 23mm road bike tyres than I do on the fat rubber on my Hornet. And it's not my own riding that makes me nervous, it's the muppets who pull out in front; I'm going faster on the motorbike than I am on a bicycle, and have a lot more mass, so while I have the same problem with drivers on my pushbike, I still find riding those far more relaxing than I do the motorcycle.

It was an itch I've wanted to scratch ever since I was a teenager drooling over the Yamaha RD125LC though, so I had to do it. I'd quite like a different bike (a Triumph Bonneville perhaps), but can't really justify buying a new bike when I don't use the one I have much. :(
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • DonDaddyD
    OK I'm revisiting this as part of my 'Move outta London plan'.

The rationale I'm putting forward to Ms DDD this time:

(i) If we move outta London she is going to need to drive.

(ii) We cannot afford to run two cars AND even if we could I doubt highly that she would want to pay for hers.

(iii) My car (Mazda 6, 5 door) is too big for her to handle (teeheehee) so we would need to downsize.

(iv) I am not driving a Prius, Yaris or something that equates to a vagina on 4 wheels (even if I end up paying for it or part of it).

(v) We'd need to share a car and we'd both want to drive to work. Therefore I will get a motorbike, which is cheaper than any car I'm likely to buy to drive to work.

Do I need to buy the bike before taking the test/s? Or like cars does the instructor let you use their's?
    Food Chain number = 4

• rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    DonDaddyD wrote:

The rationale I'm putting forward to Ms DDD this time:

(i) If we move outta London she is going to need to drive.

(ii) We cannot afford to run two cars AND even if we could I doubt highly that she would want to pay for hers.

(iii) My car (Mazda 6, 5 door) is too big for her to handle (teeheehee) so we would need to downsize.

(iv) I am not driving a Prius, Yaris or something that equates to a vagina on 4 wheels (even if I end up paying for it or part of it).

(v) We'd need to share a car and we'd both want to drive to work. Therefore I will get a motorbike, which is cheaper than any car I'm likely to buy to drive to work.

Do I need to buy the bike before taking the test/s? Or like cars does the instructor let you use their's?

Where does the instructor sit? :roll:
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • DonDaddyD
    As in he has two bikes, one for the student and the other for himself.

I mean if I buy a bike I would have to ride it to wherever the lesson is. I have no clue how to do that, yet....
    Food Chain number = 4

• cookeeemonster
    cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    As in he has two bikes, one for the student and the other for himself.

I mean if I buy a bike I would have to ride it to wherever the lesson is. I have no clue how to do that, yet....

No, you can hire the bike from the instructor / riding school.

Understand this:

Big bikes are better for motorway / dual carriageway riding.

Scooters are better for city riding, are more comfortable, have more storage space (under seat, between legs and so on) and are far cheaper to run/insure/maintain/service.

Big bikes will make you ride like a muppet in town - they're not designed to be happy at 10/20/30mph town speeds (or lower) so no matter how good a rider you think you'll be, eventually you'll be racing away the lights at 60 mph, doing stupid overtakes, filtering at eye watering speeds and going in every cycle lane/asl known to man. I'm exaggerating a bit/possibly a lot as there are some very good riders out there but it's easier to ride like a div than not to - just look on the roads now.

But they are a hell of a lot of fun...when you have an open road.

I've owned multiple scooters (60's lambretta and vespa plus modern 300 cc vespas) and a couple of 600cc 'naked' sports motorbikes (Ducati monster and triumph street triple) and basically while a lot of fun...the motorbikes are utterly wasted in town and make you ride like a tool at least some of the time (and I'm usually pretty restrained and sensible...)

Basically whats the bigger part of your journey gonna be? dual carriageway or town???? That should inform part of your decision.

You can get 500/800cc automatic scooters these days...not the best looking things and they are expensive but they might stop you racing about like a nutter.

ps. some nice looking bikes been posted on this thread, I love the retro ones!
  • alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    As per your other thread - you need to consider where you want to live and work.

In central London a cycle is about as quick as a motorbike. E.g. Putney - Oxford Circus is 30 min on a motorbike, 40 on a bicycle. I don't need a shower when I use the motorbike though, and can do a food shop on the way home.

I used to do Southampton to Heathrow in about an hour and a quarter. I'd hate to do Southampton to Central London though - the train makes more sense.

In town you want a bike that is easy to handle at low speed, good visibility, narrow and has load carrying capacity. On a motorway you want the ability to do 90 (to keep up with traffic), so probably a 500cc minimum, a fairing as 70mph wind is hard work, and again the ability to load carry.

As a new rider you will need cheap insurance, also a garage. This adds to the cost of your proposed move out of town. Bear in mind that bikes have low service intervals - usually 4000 miles, so servicing costs can add up if you don't do your own servicing. Also waterproofs only ever work for a while, so factor in replacing waterproof gloves / boots / overtrousers and jackets fairly often.

I don't think you'll get one. If you were going to get one you'd know all this already and already have bought one.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    t4tomo wrote:
    You've just had / having a kid haven't / aren't you? why would you want to kill yourself on a moped / motor bike?

+1

Admittedly speaking from a position of total ignorance, but its something that has never appealed!
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    My Honda PCX scoot is up for sale on ebay if you want :P

Maybe try a free taster lesson: http://www.geton.co.uk/free-ride :)
  • bigmat
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Do I need to buy the bike before taking the test/s?

I think you ned to buy the bike before telling your Mrs!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    My daughter runs a 50cc Scooter, step through, twist and go, averages about 125mpg, derestricted (30 minute job) it will touch 45mph (hers I re-restricted as she is 16 - also I want her alive!), with a modified clutch it's also faster off the line and gets up hills better than stock.

Ideal round town, OK (at 45mph) on most less major roads, can be tweaked, the fastest of her model in the Uk does about 65mph (70cc barrel kit, 'race' head, bigger carb, modified air filter and exhaust) though I wouldn't want to try and stop one in a hurry from that speed!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    DonDaddyD wrote:

You need to make sure you stay within cycle commuting range.
    With the kid(s) and longer commute, it might turn out to be the only exercise and time on the bike you get.

Decide how long (time) you want to commute, then draw yourself a circle centered at work.
    Lots nearby on Oyster now, so if you take the train once a week, it won't kill the budget.
    exercise.png
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    If your not interested in the thrill of speed and a full scale motorbike, then how about an e-bike or an Electric Scooter.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • bigmat
    TheStone wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

You need to make sure you stay within cycle commuting range.
    With the kid(s) and longer commute, it might turn out to be the only exercise and time on the bike you get.

Decide how long (time) you want to commute, then draw yourself a circle centered at work.
    Lots nearby on Oyster now, so if you take the train once a week, it won't kill the budget.

This was what I did. If I couldn't commute by bike, I'd basically be a miserable fat lump.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,632
    From a mainly entertainment point of view, subscribe to BaronVonGrumble on Youtube.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    BigMat wrote:
    This was what I did. If I couldn't commute by bike, I'd basically be a miserable fat lump.

I took the tube all of last week. It's horrible down there. Everyone is so unhappy.
    exercise.png
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    How about an aprilla mp3? Ride in on a car licence so no need to faff about with all the test and gubbins, decent sized engine so wouldn't mind a longer commute, 3 wheels so less inclined to fall over but still narrow enough to filter.

I am still failing to convince the Mrs I should have a bike. I'm not even allowed one of them ^

In other news Yamaha YBR125's are on 3 years 0% at the moment with £199 deposit works out to £69 per month, sensible commuter, just ride it on a cbt and pass your test if/when you feel like it.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017