Harry for England?

walkingbootweather
walkingbootweather Posts: 2,443
edited April 2012 in Commuting chat
Harry has been found not guilty. What chances him being manager of England for the Euros?

[Edit] Revised link [/Edit]
Nobody told me we had a communication problem

Comments

• dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Bugger off.

(Spurs fan)
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    He is the rightful, only and most sensible choice for next England Manager. This is why the FA will probably sign Mourinho for £7m a year.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    Lord Harry of Bungs

Make him PM, Pope & King

honest harry
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Forgive my ignorance, but why do FIFA allow people from other countries to coach and manage national teams?

Surely the whole point is that it's a national competition?
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Bloody hope not.
  • DonDaddyD
    Forgive my ignorance, but why do FIFA allow people from other countries to coach and manage national teams?

The requirement of being the same nationality of the national team only applies to the playing staff e.g. the players.

This is why Eduardo Da Silva is allowed to play for Croatia.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • There was a massive queue at the ATM today. Harry's dog had forgotten the PIN.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    DonDaddyD wrote:

The requirement of being the same nationality of the national team only applies to the playing staff e.g. the players.

Also own an Irish Wolfhound or being a fan of Guinness enables you to play for the Republic of Ireland.
  • rick_chasey
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Yeah but why does it only apply to playing staff?
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Yeah but why does it only apply to playing staff?
    No idea, probably something to do with EU employment laws and because the job isn't technically playing sport it cannot be exempt like Natianal Team eligibilty is.

I could be wrong.
    Food Chain number = 4

• CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    'Arry would be a good choice, for many reasons:

He's admitted to being semi-literate (but good with numbers eh?) so the FA can tie him up in any contract that takes their fancy as long as the pay him a decent whack.

He's a good lad, and probably has a bigger interest in England doing well than another mercenary foreign johny being wheeled in to have a stab at it for £6m a year.

The last time England did well in a tournament they were also managed by a former Spurs boss with a dubious financial background. Nothing else has worked for the last few incumbents; let's give this one a go.

Give im the job and let im get on wiv it, ideally starting tomorrow if the FA can have the decency to tell Capello to leg it for stepping out of line with his own media.
  • rick_chasey
    "Y'know, HMRC make it difficult for ya but we went with two banks full of money, brought in a lad from Monaco and got the result."
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707

Coach and Manage... not play. Yes a national competition, so nations compete against each other. Nowt wrong with a foreign national Coach...... eerrrr unless he is German......
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • DonDaddyD
    CiB wrote:
    The last time England did well in a tournament they were also managed by a former Spurs boss

It seems that the prerequiste to being a successful English England boss is to manage or have played for Spurs (the late Sir Bobby Robson not withstanding).

Sir Alf Ramsey
    Terry Venables
    Glen Hoddle - he actually won a trophy, le 'Tournai de France' (Englands last footballing trophy)
    Food Chain number = 4

• CiB
    ...and pull in the West Ham spine to build the team around. That might work...
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    I like Harry, but how the hell did he get away with that. Taxation law has surely changed forever.

I'm off to buy a dog.
    exercise.png
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,105
    TheStone wrote:
    I like Harry, but how the hell did he get away with that. Taxation law has surely changed forever.

I'm off to buy a dog.
    Will have to read up the details of the case now its over, but with fraud you have to show intent and presumably the jury accepted that he didn't intend to rip off HMRC?

Either that or they thought he was a sound geezer and let him off - a bit like the Ken Dodd tax fraud case agers back which was allegedly lost by HMRC because Doddy's a scouser and they tried him in Liverpool :-) (Hence the old joke about Ken Dodd's two new Diddy Men - Diddy Pay and Diddy F**k).
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Capello quits!. Think my prediction looks more likely....
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    It looks like it's a done deal.
    A conspiracy theorist may wonder about the "future" England manager getting off with what appeared to be an open & shut case. Chuck in John Terry's case being postponed until after the competition and......:twisted:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • is dog food tax deductable - does the dog like steak ??
    Enigma Esprit Di2 - Go tI ! Summer !
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Excellent. Any chance we can get Harry in before the weekend?

My lot need the points if we are to stay ahead of the scousers and the gooners.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • dhope
    dhope wrote:
    Bugger off.

(Spurs fan)
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • CiB
    'Givethe job and let im get on wiv it, ideally starting tomorrow if the FA can have the decency to tell Capello to leg it for stepping out of line with his own media.
    You heard it here first. :)
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    Excellent. Any chance we can get Harry in before the weekend?

My lot need the points if we are to stay ahead of the scousers and the gooners.

hang about... let him tie up deals for Bale, VdV and Modric to Chelsea first (with a cheeky few mill landing in some off-shore account called Rosie) and then he can go. :)
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,333
    Which manager is going take the job if it means a group of suits get to pick your captain?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Other than Harry what candidates are there? The fans wouldn't accept a manager unfamiliar with the Premier League. The likes of Fergie, Mourinho and Wenger wouldn't take it. The only other name I can think of is Martin O'Neil. Any others?
  • dhope
    Other than Harry what candidates are there? The fans wouldn't accept a manager unfamiliar with the Premier League. The likes of Fergie, Mourinho and Wenger wouldn't take it. The only other name I can think of is Martin O'Neil. Any others?
    Roy Hodgson?
    Poorly treated at 'pool
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • CiB
    The FA have said they want an English manager, which leaves them with a pretty short shortlist. Reel em off: Harry, Pardew at Newcastle, Tony Pullis, Roy Hodgson, and U21 boss Pearce. It's not many, and the only go-to manager [I don't like it ether but it fits here] of that lot really is Harry. He's a shoe-in tbh and would be mad not to take it.

It must be the easiest entree to the role ever - already qualified for the coming tournament, only two matches lined up before the end of the Prem season so he can stay at Spurs at do the England job p/t, then have a shot at it with the country & the media onside and take it from there. What's not to like about it? All Arry has to do is give the FA the nod.

I've always liked him. One of his best quotes ever was when he was asked if he'd be applying for some job that was going at the time, & he said something like 'apply? no chaarnce - I don't apply for jobs I wait for them to ask. They know where to find me." Good lad. Cappello's huff might be the best thing to have happened for a while.
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    I'm not so sure Capello has had a 'huff'. I think this outcome suits him just fine. He has, deliberately in my opinion, put himself at odds with the FA decision over Terry, knowing it would cause a discussion, where he would be told that as the highest paid employee of the FA he could not be seen to have a different view to the rest of the board. If he was not going to fall into line then there was only one outcome.

All this, because I think Capello realises England have no chance of doing well at the Euros, and why taint his reputation further with another dissapointing major tournament. He knew that the stick he was going to get when, as is certain England underwhelm us all again, would not be worth it against the loss of a few months wages. Better to go now, for seemingly non footballing reasons, (maybe to a highly paid job in Russia?) even though he should have been fired after the World Cup in SA.

This all seems to be a clever manouvre by a shrewd, and now very wealthy man.

Seeing as Alan Pardew is ruling himself out of the England job :shock: , I suppose I'd better do likewise. I'm not interested.