Does the cold effect your speed?

13»

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    -6.2 now :x
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • nickel
    nickel Posts: 476
    Glad I'm not the only one who's slowed down in the cold, on some weekend rides I'm struggling to average 16mph for no apparent reason at when 16mph is my usual pootle pace.
  • I'm up there with my fastest times ever for the return journey and I'm back on the single speed too! I think it comes down to a few factors, though. 1. I'm f*ckin' cold and want to get home ASAP. 2. I only recently bought a computer that shows average speed and it's a little game to try and keep it above 16mph (this includes stop time I hasten to add). 3. My natural body temperature tends to be on the hotter side. And 4. I clearly wasn't pushing myself hard enough before. My commutes are only around the half hour mark so I guess I don't really give my muscles time to suffer the cold.

Totally agree with who ever it was said keeping the head warm keeps the rest of the body warm. The freebie buff that came with Cycling Plus has turned out to be an absolute revelation this winter too.
  • nation
    nation Posts: 609
    I always feel fastest on very cold, dry days. I don't know if I am, but it certainly feels that way. Certainly the only times I make it across one particular light controlled roundabout (which requires me sprinting off the line as one set of lights turn green, and making it through another set before they turn red) in one go on those days.

I'm another one that runs hot, though. When the temperature dips below freezing I tend to just stick a hoodie on, wear thicker socks, and use a buff to cover my ears.
  • itboffin
    itboffin wrote:

okay -7.4 this is just bloody silly now
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

okay -7.4 this is just bloody silly now

Think the heat must be coming up here: 7.6C now 8)
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    I tell you what it always feels like I'm going into soup at the moment. Coldest commute this week was Tuesday when it hit -5c on the way home to leafy zone 2
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • Yukirin
    Yukirin Posts: 231
    as long as its sunny or clear the air temp doesnt effect my time to/from work. But if its cold and overcast it makes a huge difference. I'm definatly solar powered!
  • Woke up to:

a) a power cut
    b) -7.5C

Feck.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Got a text from my bro to say it was -14C with him (near Newmarket). Imagine my pleasure at being able to tell him that it's 21C warmer here 8)
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • I take back what I said yesterday. It was really hard going cycling in today. The air just felt thinner and my muscles were finding it hard going. Beautiful day, though.
  • itboffin
    it dropped to -11.4 last night and the warmest today has been -2 i still managed a 35 min hard turbo session in shorts and t-shirt outside :shock:

Was a rather aggressive warm up i can tell you.
  • I take back what I said yesterday. It was really hard going cycling in today. The air just felt thinner and my muscles were finding it hard going. Beautiful day, though.

I'm assuming it was colder. The air is certainly "thicker" (more dense) when it's cold though I suppose it cold feel thinner in your lungs.

I'm assuming it was colder. The air is certainly "thicker" (more dense) when it's cold though I suppose it cold feel thinner in your lungs.

Yeah, just talking perception. I have no idea of the science behind it.