Does the cold effect your speed?

mudcow007
mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
edited February 2012 in Commuting chat
i don't mean riding slower because of the ice etc

i just cant seem to get up to speed this week

an its exactly the same morning or night so its not a sleepy thing or warm up thing (i dont think anyways)

the cold just seems to zap all my mojo!
Keeping it classy since '83

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Massively.

In the same way when it's over 30 I tend to take longer to recover from efforts.
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    I cycled the other day wearing summer shorts and found it much nicer and definitely felt quicker. Firstly less constriction around legs which I'm sure doesn't help, + no tight top bit which makes it a little bit harder to breathe when working hard (noticed it can make me feel a little queasy)
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Mmm hmm
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    if anything though i would have thought you could ride further an harder as you are kept cooler?!
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • Depends a bit on how fast you were going in the first place but the air is definitely more dense so it's harder to cycle through. Can't remember the numbers off the top of my head but it is significant. Cold muscles don't work as well. Your gear is heavier and I hate cycling in tights with a passion as it definitely constricts your legs.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Yep, definitely affects me. I can keep my legs and core warm, but nothing I do* stops my hands and feet from becoming painfully cold and then numb after about 45 mins of riding. Pretty envious of those who manage to run hot. I'm definitely looking forward to temperatures going north of 10C again.

*Winter gloves, liners, overshoes, thick socks...
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    Seems to. Added to by a lack of visibilty in the park meaning I have to be a bit more cautious due to all of the wildlife. Nearly collected a rabbit last night, haven't seen one of them for ages.
  • My commute times always go up in the Winter. I generally am shifting down a gear sooner. I just accept it now and go into "I'll get to work eventually" mode.

You keep going through the Winter to make the fast commutes in the Summer even quicker
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • At sea level, the difference in air density between 15C and -5C is 8% which means there 8% more drag. As drag is also the square of velocity, it's obviously a bigger impact at higher speeds.

On the upside, there's more oxygen getting into your lungs, so at extreme efforts, there's a bit of counterbalance. That said, whenever cyclists are going for world records in indoor velodromes, they always mention the air temp - the higher the better.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    At sea level, the difference in air density between 15C and -5C is 8% which means there 8% more drag. As drag is also the square of velocity, it's obviously a bigger impact at higher speeds.

On the upside, there's more oxygen getting into your lungs, so at extreme efforts, there's a bit of counterbalance. That said, whenever cyclists are going for world records in indoor velodromes, they always mention the air temp - the higher the better.

I'd imagine that's a smaller proportion of the 'slow' down than muscular stuff, and, probably biggest of all - clothing.

My chest & head f*ck at lower temperatures.

Went out on Saturday for a ride and I wasn't speaking logical sentences when I got home apparently.
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    My speeds have decreased from warp speed to hyper speed since this cold snap.
  • I'd imagine that's a smaller proportion of the 'slow' down than muscular stuff, and, probably biggest of all - clothing.

My chest & head f*ck at lower temperatures.

Went out on Saturday for a ride and I wasn't speaking logical sentences when I got home apparently.

I run warm so the cold itself doesn't bother me as I don't feel cold. In fact above 0C I have nothing on my head except my (highly vented) Giro Ionis lid and "shades". 8% is also pretty significant. But, for sure, the cold affects people differently and more clothes are heavier, restrict your legs, and create more drag themselves. I don't know what the rolling resistance of tyres is like at different temps. Lubes will certainly be "thicker" (as demonstrated by my dragging freehub).

It's difficult to convert into commuting time because the damp & muddy roads and the dark definitely slow me down on their own
  • As KB says, though, embrace it - I get more fitness value out of my commute in the winter because I'm definitely working as hard but for that much longer (especially when I add the MTB & Ice Spiker tyres into the mix - it's about 20 minutes longer on some days)
  • yeah, the last couple of days have definitely seemed slower - combination of what people have alreadt stated

- wearing more (takes me aaaagggeessss to get ready and unready)
    - air density ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Density_of_air) i used this to put a nice graph togther :) - basically the air at :
    -5C is 7.5% more dense that that at 15C = significant!
    - and just being a bit more wary of potential ice/snow
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Doesn't effect it much, but it definitely affects it.

(pet hate; grammar nazi)
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    My speeds have decreased from warp speed to hyper speed since this cold snap.
    I'm on impulse :(
  • sophidog
    sophidog Posts: 180
    i go faster.................cus the wife drops me off in the car. I know WUSS
    Road: Rose CDX-3000 Cannondale CAADX 105 2011
    Turbo: Fuji Nevada Mountain Bike(Y2K)
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    I takes me ages to get my legs upto temp, at least 25, 30 mins so on a 45 min commute that's me screwed in the winter
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Very weird, I always feel faster in the cold - but I'm another one who runs hot ('cept for fingers and toes). I'm having to wear my FiveTen shoes at the mo as my DHB spuds are so well vented it feels like my toes will snap off.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • pst88
    pst88 Posts: 621
    No, I'm just slow all the time.
    Bianchi Via Nirone Veloce/Centaur 2010
  • Went out on Saturday for a ride and I wasn't speaking logical sentences when I got home apparently.

I can relate to that!

Training for the Fred at present so have to be out whatever the weather. I did a hilly 50 training run in 2 degrees C a week or so ago and I was almost delirious after it, I think I underdressed for the windchill and never quite got a high enough body temp - I really suffered, even my legs felt cold and my feet went numb after 20 miles. It was also overcast and quite an opressive day all round.

Contrast that with this morning, minus 6 degrees, beautiful frosty sunrise, feeling great, well wrapped up in thick gear including thick tights and riding fast (well, as fast as I can go on an MTB with kilo-each studded tyres!) although 12 miles is a bit less to suffer I must admit.

So I think it's a state of mind thing sometimes, not just temperature.

I must say though, all this cold weather riding with loads of gear on, on winter bikes, is the best possible thing for training. I'm looking forward to those lazy hazy stripped-down days of summer, all of us winter riders will be flying!
  • I go along with the theory it's a bit slower in winter , I ride wider tyres , have more kit on , more aware of damp / icy road surfaces , takes longer to get the legs going.
    Have no idea about the drag factors but as Boardersroadie said , come the summer or even spring time all the time spent in the cold will pay dividends come those summer mornings at 0545 !!
    Enigma Esprit Di2 - Go tI ! Summer !
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    yes definitely, anything less than 2 degrees'ish and my muscles just don't warm up properly meaning that although I don't physically feel cold i never get that lovely fluid riding style that I can achieve in warmer temps.

It's yet another sh*t thing about becoming middle aged.
    FCN = 4
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Seems to, probably because riding over patches of ice fast is a stupid idea on skinnies or studs.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • Nik Cube
    Nik Cube Posts: 311
    I ride harder to keep warm

My ride into work has been slower but my ride home quicker - the ride home is harder uphill and prevailing head wind, but my work place is freezing so I hit the ride harder to warm up
    Fcn 5
    Cube attempt 2010
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    The problem i have is not the cold, ice or dark it's the cycle then 20+ min train wait followed by 1.30 hrs on the train then 15-20 ride across London, in those waiting times i really need to be sure i'm not soaking wet from rain or sweat otherwise i end up very very cold and eventually sick.

If i had a single cycle to work commute i'd nail it everyday in just the lightest of clothes and kit ie MTFU but trust me waiting 45 delayed mins on an exposed country train station platform in your dripping wet clothes will spoil the rest of your 15 hr day.

:evil:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    That is a monster commute.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    That is a monster commute.

+1. I'd drive the home->station and Brompton the station->work. Do you need a new bike ITB?
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,116
    Yep, legs are quite 'achey' and feel a bit underpowered until I'm warmed up which is usually a good 15 mins or so into a ride on a cold day.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]