Powertap questions

devil 1
devil 1 Posts: 6
Firstly sorry if this is posted in the wrong section.

I have acquired a very cheap powertap but am unsure if its an SL wired version or the later version that just needs the firmware update. On removing the battery cover and scouring the net I'm still none the wiser which model it is. Does anyone know how to tell the difference or have I just got no option but to either email paligap or bite the bullet and order the firmware upgrade?

Comments

• amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Do mean your unsure if it's wired or wireless? Never owned a wired PowerTap, but I'd have thought that it's fairly obvious if it's wireless or wired.

As I understand it (and I could very easily be wrong), to convert a wired SL to wireless ANT+ costs in the region of £425.
    More problems but still living....
  • No its not obvious. They are identical just because it could be a wired one don't mean there is a wire on the hub.

I have picked it up at the right price but obviously would rather pay out £70 for the fireware update than the £425 for complete upgrade but either way it's a good buy as it's an SL version and works out a lot cheaper than buying a brand new unit.

The only thing if someone has had both that might point me in the right direction is if the visible internals in some way are different hence my post.
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    Well you should know if it is wired or not, do you have the shark fin for the seat stay and a wire going to the head unit, or can you use a Garmin to read the power.

Does the battery end cap have any writing on it at all, or in the middle of the hub.

Might be worth posting up a few pictures so people can have a look.
  • amaferanga
    I figured they'd look different in some way. I guess you've looked at the Saris manuals for the SL and SL2.4 hubs? Only difference that's obvious to me is the design of the battery cover, but they may be interchangeable between models.

Sbezza - neither will communicate with a Garmin.
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    amaferanga wrote:
    Sbezza - neither will communicate with a Garmin.

I was more thinking wired versus ANT+ wireless, I will admit I don't have a great knowledge of the older models, if the OP is really uncertain of what needs doing the best bet is to speak to Paligap. Might be a good idea to get the wheel serviced also if there is uncertainy, Paligap would then advise the best course of action.

Given the OP is looking for a wiring kit and CPU, I would suggest upgrading to a ANT+ version would be a wise investment.
  • amaferanga
    Probably, if he has a spare £425! For that he'd effectively have a new hub. If he paid any more than about £200 for the hub though he could've had a new Pro+ for about the same money.
  • Thanks for your posts.

It didn't come with any other gear (such as the shark fin) which is why it wasn't obvious as to which one it was, although I'd ruled out it being an SL+ (ANT+) as it didn't work with my Garmin 705.

The battery cover was scraped too just in the place which would have fully identify the model, so that's why I was wondering if there was a difference with the internals.

The SL wired manual shows the internals, but the SL 2.4 doesn't, so drew a blank there too.

I sent a message to Paligap last night however when I started this thread and they have come back with a speed reply which wised me up that it's a wired one, hence the request for the headunit.

I'm saving for the upgrade, as for the price I picked it up for it still works out cheaper than a Pro+ hub, even leaving money over to have it re-laced into a brand new rim (which it doesn't really need). In the mean time however if I can get a wired kit for the right money to bridge the gap, then that's fine too.

Powertap on a budget!