City 250m challenge

Comments

• kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    dhope wrote:
    kelsen wrote:
    Yeah, first thing they warned me was that people's feet were slipping out! Concentrate on pushing down the first few strokes unless you have SPDs, which the pedals are equipped on one side with.

250m felt like an eternity as I felt my legs going. Posted 14.2 and ranked 1st when I left.

Congrats. You're still first at the moment, Kwai?

http://www.rideacrossbritain.com/city-2 ... ve-scores/
    Sketchley wrote:
    Maybe we could all meet there at say 6pm and look after each others bikes...
    I'd be tempted by that.
    Cheers dhope. Yeah, that's me. Quite pleased as it was straight after my commute and I had to rush off to work. Might give it another go later.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    okgo wrote:
    I might have a go too, that sort of thing plays to my strengths too, i.e. full of fast twitch!

What sort of level do they have the watt bike set to?

Do you get a power read out after for those that have done it?

And can you stand up on a wattbike or is it a sitting only thing?

They didn't offer me the chance to change resistance. No power reading data either, in fact they only told me my time when I asked! Position should be like a normal bike so standing up possible / recommended - check the set up carefully first though (see above!)
  • kelsen
    Somebody just smashed it with a 13.51s! Doubt I could get anywhere near that. He's the UK indoor rowing champion apparently so I don't feel too bad :D
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graham_Benton

Probably quite a good bet on winning it haha.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • bigmat
    okgo wrote:

5:42 :shock:

I'm doing well if I can get under 7 minutes...
  • kelsen
    okgo wrote:

Yeah, ringer! :lol:
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    BigMat wrote:
    okgo wrote:

I think anything under 7 is ok!

5.42 as it says there is as fast almost as Pinsent who as we know is the british record holder and has a vo2 max of 3 men!
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • bigmat
    okgo wrote:
    BigMat wrote:
    okgo wrote:

I think anything under 7 is ok!

5.42 as it says there is as fast almost as Pinsent who as we know is the british record holder and has a vo2 max of 3 men!

As an aside, he didn't go for a walk with his mate in Richmond Park last year did he?
  • okgo wrote:

As we've heard, he must be a fattie... :wink:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    Pufftmw wrote:
    That him in the suit trousers?

AlIcG1nCIAAwdvx.jpg

Blimey, he set a fast time whilst sending a text message. Wow.
  • Pufftmw
    Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
    There's quite a few "Olympians" taking part it seems - Kwai must still be in the lead!
  • okgo wrote:

As we've heard, he must be a fattie... :wink:

Ah yes, just Googled him.....

Fat%20Guy%20In%20Spandex.jpg
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • veronese68
    More likely he was starting up Strava so he could check his time.
  • kelsen
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Blimey, he set a fast time whilst sending a text message. Wow.
    He must have been tweeting this at the time...

"@wattbike @deloitterab 13.51s. Can't believe how out of breath a 13 second sprint can get you."

http://twitter.com/#!/TheErgDaddy
  • kelsen
    Pufftmw wrote:
    There's quite a few "Olympians" taking part it seems - Kwai must still be in the lead!
    Cheers Pufftmw, I like the way you see it!
  • Pufftmw
    kelsen wrote:
    Pufftmw wrote:
    Cheers Pufftmw, I like the way you see it!

Fame @ last, though you need to go back for another go!

432245_345125718855225_124414394259693_1049568_1444112631_n.jpg
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Sketchley wrote:
    dhope wrote:
    So how do you go about these sprint challenges.

Wattbike on a pre-set level and you all hammer it from a standing start, or you pick your gear before you start etc?
    Would be tempted if I get out of work and the gym in time. Any place to leave a bike that isn't locked up?

Maybe we could all meet there at say 6pm and look after each others bikes...

Will try to get there for 6 then and see if there are any slots. Curious to see if I can get sub 20 tbh :D
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • BigMat wrote:
    A decent 250m effort will be, what, 15 seconds? Although from a standing stary perhaps a little more (depending on gearing).

Ahh... I see. You're going to give them "The Look" and psych 'em out first. Cunning plan....
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    Seems like bike 2 has been rigged to be the fastest...both Kelsen and the rowing guy were on it!! ;)
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • kelsen
    FoldingJoe wrote:
    Seems like bike 2 has been rigged to be the fastest...both Kelsen and the rowing guy were on it!! ;)
    I'm pretty sure I loosened it up for him :wink:

Probably will pop over for another go later. I've discovered a tip for getting a faster time. It's called the Muscle Twitch Faster in Unison technique.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    kelsen wrote:
    FoldingJoe wrote:
    I'm pretty sure I loosened it up for him :wink:

Probably will pop over for another go later. I've discovered a tip for getting a faster time. It's called the Muscle Twitch Faster in Unison technique.

This sounds similar to the "feckin' peddle faster" technique I've been trying to perfect for so long.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Will try to get there. Looking unlikely though. As I'm in docklands and it's already 1730 and i've got to change first.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • Apparently the top female is a Bike Paramedic. I *really* hope she shouted "nee-maw nee-naw" for the whole attempt.
  • veronese68
    Apparently the top female is a Bike Paramedic. I *really* hope she shouted "nee-maw nee-naw" for the whole attempt.
    Excellent. Glad I wasn't having anything to drink when I read that.
  • Apparently the top female is a Bike Paramedic.

Beat Rebecca Romero too, good effort.
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Bugger I'm a prat. Went to Finsbury Square, saw the occupy camp, thought I've got this wrong and left.... It was just down the road at Finsbury Avenue Square, Never mind....
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • Pufftmw
    Turned up about 18:15 & met Kwai (Kelsen) & Matt - good to put faces to names, hi guys :)

There were a few cycle couriers there so I stayed on & gave them a blast, getting a 14.8 in the process which I was happy with. Beat all of ours, so thats good :)

Saw Kay Sodeinde turn up, take off his "overcoat" and still wearing his suit just stomp his way to a 13.299 - absolutely amazing, didn't break a sweat either! He was a big lad though...
  • kelsen
    Hi Pufftmw and Matt. Good to meet you guys last night.

Failed miserably in trying to beat my morning time. Only managed a 15.7 which really surprised me, but I think it's because I tried to sprint standing up all the way through whereas in the morning it was a seated effort after the first few strokes.

Matt did 14.7 but I reckon he carried on sprinting for 500m because nobody told him to stop! I think they were all too excited over the 13.299 posted by Kay. If the Power of Awesome was embodied as a person, I think it was Kay! Looked like he was taking it easy in his suit until I saw the time on the screen. He is a beast of a man though as Pufftmw says, and wouldn't have looked out of place in a 100m sprint final!
  • bigmat
    kelsen wrote:
    Hi Pufftmw and Matt. Good to meet you guys last night.

Failed miserably in trying to beat my morning time. Only managed a 15.7 which really surprised me, but I think it's because I tried to sprint standing up all the way through whereas in the morning it was a seated effort after the first few strokes.

Matt did 14.7 but I reckon he carried on sprinting for 500m because nobody told him to stop! I think they were all too excited over the 13.299 posted by Kay. If the Power of Awesome was embodied as a person, I think it was Kay! Looked like he was taking it easy in his suit until I saw the time on the screen. He is a beast of a man though as Pufftmw says, and wouldn't have looked out of place in a 100m sprint final!

Nice to meet you Kwai, looking at the results I think we have the same time to a 1000th of a second - what are the odds! You must have edged me by 1/10,000th! :lol: