City 250m challenge

veronese68
veronese68 Posts: 27,773
edited February 2012 in Commuting chat
Apologies if this has already been posted. Who's quickest off the lights? Just seen this 250m sprint in the City on Wednesday.
http://www.rideacrossbritain.com/city-250-challenge/
Needless to say, I won't be there.

Comments

• well looking at strava that sort of distance thing plays to my strenghts. but i'm off to see my little sister that day, i also have very little competive spirit!
  • veronese68
    i also have very little competive spirit!
    I must remember to use that, even though for me it's patently untrue and I'm just a bit rubbish.
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    from 7am, so can take a detour on the way to work ^_^
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,371
    Ahem, CP and BigMat to the thread, please.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Am I missing something? Sprinting 250m = being able to ride the length of the UK?
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    These things are always biased towards fatties.
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    cjcp wrote:
    Am I missing something? Sprinting 250m = being able to ride the length of the UK?

I find 15 seconds flat out was perfect training for 56 hours in the saddle
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    cjcp wrote:

You do the whole thing as intervals, 250 flat out 250 rest 250 flat out 250 rest etc etc etc
  • veronese68
    cjcp wrote:
    I had noticed that. I just thought the 250m bit would be a laugh, but should be kept seperate from the length of the UK aspect.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Not sure that's a prize I want to win, but seeing as its just round the corner from work and starts nice and early, I think it would be rude not to.

250m doesn't really play to my strengths, unless its a rolling start. I'm notoriously slow setting off from the lights!
  • BigMat wrote:
    Not sure that's a prize I want to win, but seeing as its just round the corner from work and starts nice and early, I think it would be rude not to.

250m doesn't really play to my strengths, unless its a rolling start. I'm notoriously slow setting off from the lights!

I'm fairly quick on the dash away from the lights, top speed is nothing to shout about but i'll get there quick, even with full paniers I normally end up overtaking other cyclists before I've cleared the junction. but i'll spin out soon enought.
  • veronese68
    If it was near me I'd have a go for a laugh. I wouldn't want the prize, good job as I wouldn't stand a chance.
  • Pufftmw
    Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
    I remember the summer challenge for IG Markets/Sky was stopped early as some poor chap had a heart attack - simillar event/kit although over 1 mile.

I'll probably wander around for a go, just for the heck of it.
  • mrc1
    mrc1 Posts: 852
    Hmm annoying. I just tried to enter but got this response:
    City 250m challenge
    Dear Rob

Many thanks for entering the challenge. Unfortunately due to your Herculian reputation and chain/frame snapping power our insurers are unable to cover your participation. Therefore we are unable to accept your entry. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.

:oops:
    http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    cjcp wrote:

Also - done on stationary bikes? Sounds pretty silly to me.
  • bigmat
    A decent 250m effort will be, what, 15 seconds? Although from a standing stary perhaps a little more (depending on gearing).
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    to be fair, I expect the fastest sprinter will have spent a fair amount of time in the saddle & will have enough stamina for a 'fun' ride.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Stationary bike = fattie wins.
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    I believe the correct term is 'endomorph'!

Might pop along for a laugh.
  • bigmat
    Where's the face-plant emoticon when I need it? I managed to fall off a Wattbike - unbelievable.

Turns out the SPDs on the Wattbike weren't capable of restraining my awesome power:

Take 1 - clip in, counter times down 3-2-1, from standing start I put the left leg down, power extreme - foot flies off the pedal, left knee smashes into handlebars - ouch!

Take 2 - this time I opt for the toe-straps. 3-2-1, left leg down, right leg down, left foot flies off the pedal on the upstroke - aarrrggghhh!! No impact this time at least.

Take 3 - by this point, I am conscious that I am going to have to ease off the power to get going. 3-2-1, a smooth start, I get out of the saddle, lean forward and down on the drops to really get the power down. Bam. My left knee hits the handlebars. Bam. My right knee hits the handlebars. Bam bam bam bam bam bam bam bam bam bam bam bam bam bam bam bam bam bam bam bam bam for 15 loooooong seconds.... Turns out the things are fully adjustable as well. Grrrrrrr.

End result? 15.29 seconds, so at least my estimate was fairly accurate. Disappointed though as I'm sure I could do a lot better if the bike was set up right and the SPDs were set to maximum tension. I was in first place when I left - out of 2 people! Pretty sure Clever Pun would smash that time though, along with others. Tips for anyone doing it later?

- 15 seconds is surprisingly long - keep your head down and keep working, I kind of got dispirited midway through as I felt like I had already taken ages, just keep going for it!

- get the bike set up properly. Saddle height isn't that important as you'll be on your feet from like second two onwards. Make sure the bars are far enough forward though.

- CHECK THE PEDALS! A lot of force going through there from a standing start. My knee is now starting to really hurt :(
  • veronese68
    Ouch, I feel partly responsible. Well done on your first place, even though it may be short lived. I take it you won't be returning to consolidate your position.
  • bigmat
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Ouch, I feel partly responsible. Well done on your first place, even though it may be short lived. I take it you won't be returning to consolidate your position.

I'll see how I feel this evening, they said "see you at lunchtime" as I left but I think I'll pass on that!
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238

Where is this?
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    So how do you go about these sprint challenges.

Wattbike on a pre-set level and you all hammer it from a standing start, or you pick your gear before you start etc?
    Would be tempted if I get out of work and the gym in time. Any place to leave a bike that isn't locked up?
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    dhope wrote:

Wattbike on a pre-set level and you all hammer it from a standing start, or you pick your gear before you start etc?
    Would be tempted if I get out of work and the gym in time. Any place to leave a bike that isn't locked up?

Maybe we could all meet there at say 6pm and look after each others bikes...
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • kelsen
    BigMat wrote:
    Where's the face-plant emoticon when I need it? I managed to fall off a Wattbike - unbelievable.

Turns out the SPDs on the Wattbike weren't capable of restraining my awesome power:

Take 1 - clip in, counter times down 3-2-1, from standing start I put the left leg down, power extreme - foot flies off the pedal, left knee smashes into handlebars - ouch!

Take 2 - this time I opt for the toe-straps. 3-2-1, left leg down, right leg down, left foot flies off the pedal on the upstroke - aarrrggghhh!! No impact this time at least.

Take 3 - by this point, I am conscious that I am going to have to ease off the power to get going. 3-2-1, a smooth start, I get out of the saddle, lean forward and down on the drops to really get the power down. Bam. My left knee hits the handlebars. Bam. My right knee hits the handlebars. Bam bam bam bam bam bam bam bam bam bam bam bam bam bam bam bam bam bam bam bam bam for 15 loooooong seconds.... Turns out the things are fully adjustable as well. Grrrrrrr.

End result? 15.29 seconds, so at least my estimate was fairly accurate. Disappointed though as I'm sure I could do a lot better if the bike was set up right and the SPDs were set to maximum tension. I was in first place when I left - out of 2 people! Pretty sure Clever Pun would smash that time though, along with others. Tips for anyone doing it later?

- 15 seconds is surprisingly long - keep your head down and keep working, I kind of got dispirited midway through as I felt like I had already taken ages, just keep going for it!

- get the bike set up properly. Saddle height isn't that important as you'll be on your feet from like second two onwards. Make sure the bars are far enough forward though.

- CHECK THE PEDALS! A lot of force going through there from a standing start. My knee is now starting to really hurt :(
    :lol:

Yeah, first thing they warned me was that people's feet were slipping out! Concentrate on pushing down the first few strokes unless you have SPDs, which the pedals are equipped on one side with.

250m felt like an eternity as I felt my legs going. Posted 14.2 and ranked 1st when I left.
  • kelsen
    dhope wrote:

Basically jump on, wait for the countdown and pedal like f**k. They leave the setting on 5 and tell you when to stop.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    kelsen wrote:
    Yeah, first thing they warned me was that people's feet were slipping out! Concentrate on pushing down the first few strokes unless you have SPDs, which the pedals are equipped on one side with.

250m felt like an eternity as I felt my legs going. Posted 14.2 and ranked 1st when I left.

Congrats. You're still first at the moment, Kwai?

http://www.rideacrossbritain.com/city-2 ... ve-scores/
    Sketchley wrote:
    I'd be tempted by that.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • bigmat
    dhope wrote:
    kelsen wrote:

Congrats. You're still first at the moment, Kwai?

http://www.rideacrossbritain.com/city-2 ... ve-scores/
    Sketchley wrote:
    I'd be tempted by that.

Good effort Kelsen. I see you can officially re-enter - I feel like I'm capable of a sub 15 so will probably head over after work, 6pm might be a bit tight but will aim for that.
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    I might have a go too, that sort of thing plays to my strengths too, i.e. full of fast twitch!

What sort of level do they have the watt bike set to?

Do you get a power read out after for those that have done it?

And can you stand up on a wattbike or is it a sitting only thing?
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com