Sixty years today

2»

Comments

• bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    markos1963 wrote:
    Richard_D wrote:
    She serves very well as an apolitcal figurehead any elected president would end up representing a party as much if not more than the country. How much disposable income does she actually have how much has to go into the maintenance of her business permises which we would still be paying for if we became a republic. Do you really think that state banquets in Buck house would stop if we were a republic?

Who said anything about being a republic? Why do we need a head of state at all?
    Quite right, we should let the MPs get their noses in that trough :roll:
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    Richard_D wrote:
    She serves very well as an apolitcal figurehead any elected president would end up representing a party as much if not more than the country. How much disposable income does she actually have how much has to go into the maintenance of her business permises which we would still be paying for if we became a republic. Do you really think that state banquets in Buck house would stop if we were a republic?

Some might say she is the outright symbol of a class ridden society where currently the gap between the poorest and the richest is growing all the time. Maybe she could do a speech about greed and its effect on modern society. What we need is a guiding light to a better future not a reflection back into some medieval past and that goes for the House of Commons to, dysfunctional out of date ‘Punch and Judy’ museum, turn it into a museum (charge entry for visitors) and build a new one somewhere near Nottingham/Coventry with a lot less MPs in it with cheaper digs nearby with air, rail and motorway links all readily at hand.
    We are to busy trying to get back to the circumstances that led to the monetary collapse that will haunt us for years to come. Bonkers :shock:
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    bompington wrote:
    markos1963 wrote:
    Richard_D wrote:

Who said anything about being a republic? Why do we need a head of state at all?
    Quite right, we should let the MPs get their noses in that trough :roll:

At least we can get rid of them, until recently we could still be hung for suggesting to get rid of the monarchy.
  • How exactly do they influence your life and reign over you? The reason I'm indifferent is because you could get rid of them but I'd still have the same bills to pay, the same laws to follow..it wouldn't change a thing. Big corporations...now those are the chaps who have all the power now.

In a nutshell, it's the principle. If, at the next general election, I hypothetically said to you that you can't vote. Your loss of vote makes absolutely no difference to the result of the election in any way. Yet I'm sure you would be wholly and vocally opposed to having your vote taken away, based on a matter of principle. In the same way, removal of the monarchy would have very little effect on our immediate lives but the reason people are opposed to it is a matter of principle. In fact, the reason we have democracy, free speech etc. etc. is just a matter of principle in effect. The monarchy is an insult to anyone who belives in democracy.
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer