Sixty years today

Frank the tank
Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
edited February 2012 in The bottom bracket
She came to the throne.

THE QUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEN GAAAAAAAAAAAAWD BLESS HAAAH! :)
Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Workshy disfunctional family who have problems engaging with people and forming relationships...no, not an episode of Shameless but our favourite sausage munching Krauts.

The French had the right idea when it comes to dealing with monarchy, now that would attract a decent crowd. Could make some interesting memorablia too.
  • Bobbinogs wrote:
    Workshy disfunctional family who have problems engaging with people and forming relationships...no, not an episode of Shameless but our favourite sausage munching Krauts.

The French had the right idea when it comes to dealing with monarchy, now that would attract a decent crowd. Could make some interesting memorablia too.

Say what you want about the extended family, and I do believe that when the Queen dies the monarchy and our relationship with it, will fundamentally change, I don't think you could ever say the Queen is work shy. She may not be in an office 9-5 but how many other 85 yr old women are still working?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Bobbinogs wrote:

Say what you want about the extended family, and I do believe that when the Queen dies the monarchy and our relationship with it, will fundamentally change, I don't think you could ever say the Queen is work shy. She may not be in an office 9-5 but how many other 85 yr old women are still working?

I'd be working till I was 85 if I was earning what she has been!
  • I wouldn't call serving in Afghanistan being workshy exactly. Harry obviously...not the queen.

I'm indifferent on having a royal family really. I certainly don't envy them, must be bloody tedious attending all those functions.
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    Anyone who has been married to Phil the Greek for that long has my respect.
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    I think we have different definitions of the term 'work', she's no different to any other human being except for very unusual historical circumstances and strange human behavioural attitudes that make some people think they are 'subjects' of this family... all very odd indeed!
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • random man
    random man Posts: 1,518
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    I think we have different definitions of the term 'work', she's no different to any other human being except for very unusual historical circumstances and strange human behavioural attitudes that make some people think they are 'subjects' of this family... all very odd indeed!

My daughter saw the Queen in Melbourne recently on her tour of Oz and she was amazed at how much she had managed to fit in in a short space of time, having travelled halfway round the world - and that was before considering how old she is.
    I'm no great Royalist but I do have a great deal of respect for Liz.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    The queen mother died at the age of 203 (alledgedly) and it was reported that in the whole of her long life she had never drawn a set of curtains as there was always someone to do that for her.

Work? I don't count attending tedious functions and shaking the limp hands of minor dignitories who are toadying up as work. I don't have anything against the rich but this family lives on my money.

As for the boys with toys off having a laugh in the army...do we really think they are ever placed in harm's way? They all get into uni in the first place with grades that normal folks wouldn't even get NVQ places for, then they can choose to be pilots or whatever else takes their fancy whilst circumventing the normal selection processes.

yeah, hooray for queenee and her family.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,171
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    The queen mother died at the age of 203 (alledgedly) and it was reported that in the whole of her long life she had never drawn a set of curtains as there was always someone to do that for her.

Work? I don't count attending tedious functions and shaking the limp hands of minor dignitories who are toadying up as work. I don't have anything against the rich but this family lives on my money.

As for the boys with toys off having a laugh in the army...do we really think they are ever placed in harm's way? They all get into uni in the first place with grades that normal folks wouldn't even get NVQ places for, then they can choose to be pilots or whatever else takes their fancy whilst circumventing the normal selection processes.

yeah, hooray for queenee and her family.

I'd say piloting a search and rescue helicopter is pretty dangerous work and even if not on the front line Afghanistan isn't a place I'd like to be working.
  • Bobbinogs wrote:
    As for the boys with toys off having a laugh in the army...do we really think they are ever placed in harm's way?.

I have very good friends who were in the FOB with Harry in Afghan, he was afforded no special treatment and did his turn on stag like everyone else. Apart from his goodie box coming from Fortnum & Mason which he offered round, as etiquette dictates, he was one of the boys.
  • Sandyballs wrote:
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    As for the boys with toys off having a laugh in the army...do we really think they are ever placed in harm's way?.

I have very good friends who were in the FOB with Harry in Afghan, he was afforded no special treatment and did his turn on stag like everyone else. Apart from his goodie box coming from Fortnum & Mason which he offered round, as etiquette dictates, he was one of the boys.

hehe :D:D:D:D:D

You should do stand up, you really should.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    I didn't know we had a Queen. I thought we were an autonomous collective.
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • Bobbinogs wrote:

Spot on - and now Willy is off to the Falklands (what a co-incidence) amd it has been stressed that he will not ever be in danger - well if it all kicks off again then even if he does not see serious action he will be a hero. Yeah right.
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    Thank God for the Royal family. They save us from whatever tosser would be "democratically elected" as head of state, with a budget ten times what the Royals cost and the ability to make stupid laws that nobody needs.

The great thing about the Queen is she is only a figurehead, she has no power.
  • Smokin Joe wrote:
    Thank God for the Royal family. They save us from whatever tosser would be "democratically elected" as head of state, with a budget ten times what the Royals cost and the ability to make stupid laws that nobody needs.

The great thing about the Queen is she is only a figurehead, she has no power.

She also has no relevance or purpose. Its such a shame that there are people who sooooo frightened of living that they accept that they are inferior to someone just because they are told 'thats the way life is'. As long as fear of change rules peoples lives this will be our future

caveman.jpg
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Let them stay, they do no harm (of any significance) and a lot of good, At the very very worst we re no worse off because of them...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver wrote:
    Let them stay, they do no harm (of any significance) and a lot of good, At the very very worst we re no worse off because of them...

Hehe thats exactly how I feel about munters. :D
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    She also has no relevance or purpose.
    Another reason to keep her.

We have too many people with relevance and purpose and they annoy the tits off everyone.
  • bianchimoon
    Smokin Joe wrote:
    She also has no relevance or purpose. Its such a shame that there are people who sooooo frightened of living that they accept that they are inferior to someone just because they are told 'thats the way life is'. As long as fear of change rules peoples lives this will be our future

well said cleat, trouble is some people have low self esteem and accept a family to 'rein over them'
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • How exactly do they influence your life and reign over you? The reason I'm indifferent is because you could get rid of them but I'd still have the same bills to pay, the same laws to follow..it wouldn't change a thing. Big corporations...now those are the chaps who have all the power now.
  • bianchimoon
    http://debatewise.org/debates/1284-shou ... a-republic

read and make your own mind up.. mine is
  • That's exactly the kind of flawed debate I was thinking about! It manages to confuse the argument of social and economic inequality with the existence of the royal family. The paragraph about migrants and social housing, as if being a republic solves that, the dig at the US imperialism and quangos. The whole thing is a rant about the rich and powerful which is a slightly different debate.
  • bianchimoon
    yeah sorry that was a bit patronising

simple fact is there are multiple reasons why some people want/don't want a monarchy, and there are the vast majority that are indifferent/couldn't care one way or the other and it's for that reason we will remain a monarchy
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    yeah sorry that was a bit patronising

simple fact is there are multiple reasons why some people want/don't want a monarchy, and there are the vast majority that are indifferent/couldn't care one way or the other and it's for that reason we will remain a monarchy

And that, friend, is called democracy...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Bartimaeus wrote:
    I didn't know we had a Queen. I thought we were an autonomous collective.

So it was you in the Mud pit at the begining of the Holy Grail film :lol:
  • well said cleat, trouble is some people have low self esteem and accept a family to 'rein over them'

Well thats a bit daft innit?

Long live the Queen, she's a great ambassador and i'm not remotely jealous of her wealth and lifestyle..really ;)
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    Are we sure she is the rightful heir to the throne; there are some Stuarts that might take issue with that?

My respect was put to rest when I heard what happened to her cousins that were disabled.
    http://www.able2uk.com/news/tv-film/the ... usins.html

The Daily Mail made a big thing about Clegg's foreign family connections and the Christian names of his children before the last election. :shock:
  • She serves very well as an apolitcal figurehead any elected president would end up representing a party as much if not more than the country. How much disposable income does she actually have how much has to go into the maintenance of her business permises which we would still be paying for if we became a republic. Do you really think that state banquets in Buck house would stop if we were a republic?
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    Richard_D wrote:
    She serves very well as an apolitcal figurehead any elected president would end up representing a party as much if not more than the country. How much disposable income does she actually have how much has to go into the maintenance of her business permises which we would still be paying for if we became a republic. Do you really think that state banquets in Buck house would stop if we were a republic?

Who said anything about being a republic? Why do we need a head of state at all?