Keeping it classy since '83
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    mudcow007 wrote:
    what ever happened to hearsay

i miss them
    Myleene Klasse. Class! Nom nom.....
    Mylene-Klass-hero-harper-22042-newsmediaimages.jpg
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    I'm delighted by the news about this. I've a huge amount of respect for the guy - not just in relation to cycling but also cancer.

+1

He has raised a vast amount of cash for cancer awareness and really helped bring health issues to the forefront of the media. Digging up the past, yet again, will take away from all the good he has done and affect allot of people.

In terms of doping, who wasn't doping at that time?!? Pretty much all of the top guys have admitted to doping over the period in question - so, is he really a cheat if he was doping, or just better at it?

Let sleeping dogs lie - Lance Armstrong won 7 TDF, end.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    gtvlusso wrote:
    I'm delighted by the news about this. I've a huge amount of respect for the guy - not just in relation to cycling but also cancer.

+1

He has raised a vast amount of cash for cancer awareness and really helped bring health issues to the forefront of the media. Digging up the past, yet again, will take away from all the good he has done and affect allot of people.

In terms of doping, who wasn't doping at that time?!? Pretty much all of the top guys have admitted to doping over the period in question - so, is he really a cheat if he was doping, or just better at it?

Having him done, like all his rivals have already - would, I reckon, give cycling some closure on the '00s. With Armstrong still literally cashing in on winning 7 TdF's clean, that wound remains open.

If/Once he's caught we can finally draw a line under it.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    I'm not a Lance fan, or a hater (TBH I'm not really in to pro cycling - sort of a fair weather TV watcher when I come across it) but if everyone wants pro cycling to be rehabilitated, rather than the drugs tainted picture we have at the moment, then why not just let it all go.

Scenario A) Lance is found guilty. Cycling and drugs hit the headlines big stylee again and the sport becomes even more associated with chemical cheating.

Scenario B) Brush it under the carpet. Concentrate on a clean sport going forwards.

The only downside of B that I can see is that LA (assuming guilt) doesn't get his life ruined for something that (assuming guilt) was entirely endemic at the time.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    edited June 2012
    I'd asterisk the wins and leave it at that, not because I want to see a guilty rider (if he is proven to be so) escape the consequences of his actions, however big a name he may be in the sport, but because of who you'd give yellow to in his place. Zuelle, Ullrich & Kloeden all copped lucky that their particular scandal died quietly or come under a jurisdiction that allows you to effectlvely and legally buy off an investigation. many of the top tenners served bans or fell into Puerto and other nets.

How far down the lists would you have to dig and how much testing old samples with new methods would UCI have to to to find an unimpeachably clean rider so the jersey is not passing from one (alleged) doper to (alleged) another?
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    SimonAH wrote:
    I'm not a Lance fan, or a hater (TBH I'm not really in to pro cycling - sort of a fair weather TV watcher when I come across it) but if everyone wants pro cycling to be rehabilitated, rather than the drugs tainted picture we have at the moment, then why not just let it all go.

Scenario A) Lance is found guilty. Cycling and drugs hit the headlines big stylee again and the sport becomes even more associated with chemical cheating.

Scenario B) Brush it under the carpet. Concentrate on a clean sport going forwards.

The only downside of B that I can see is that LA (assuming guilt) doesn't get his life ruined for something that (assuming guilt) was entirely endemic at the time.

That would be assuming that the case is only about Lance, it isn't. There are others involved who still work in the sport.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    True, but take it one case at a time?
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    SimonAH wrote:
    True, but take it one case at a time?

The charge is conspiracy though - which involves multiple people.

The other US riders on the team, according to the document leaked, have 'fessed up.

Armstrong, Bruyneel and the other doctors were apparently given the chance to come clean and they declined - hence the charge.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Its just like Riis in 96 but on a bigger scale for Armstrong. 'Fess up, keep the wins but with an asterisk next to them, get some closure and move on. Of course with Lance there are issues with various legal actions in the past, but that nest of vipers is of his own making. With the management / medical people, they need to be taken out of the sport asap.
  • Let's hope those pictures of the US Postals drugs motorbike have turned up.

Let the man burn.
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    Armstrong's gone out of his way to destroy others, so I'd like to see him finally found out.

'98 was the reset opportunity after the festina affair. Anyone still doping after that deserves to have everything thrown at them.

Sounds like his charity is a bit of sham too (but could probably be said about most charities).
    exercise.png
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    FFS let it lie. Nobody trusts any cycling result from that era (or pretty much any other, probably). He never got caught despite 7 wins and all those tests. All this does is remind people of the shame the sport has hanging over it. All the Formula One teams cheated too from what I can tell - they were clever enough not to get caught. The sport doesn't rake over the old coals to say that Senna etc were cheating it just moves on. There's something peculiarly vindictive about cycling
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    To paraphrase.....
    It's not all about the Lance :wink:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    shouldnt this thread be merged with the one in pro race so biking bernie can get his teeth into it.....on second thoughts maybe not. :D
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.