Armstrong Case Dropped

sketchley
sketchley Posts: 4,238
edited June 2012 in Commuting chat
--
Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5

Comments

• I think dropping it's a good thing. Whatever the truth really is, I see no positive point in raking over the past. Lance Armstrong is a legend.
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    I was a sceptic but I'll respect the decision and leave it at that.
    FCN 2 to 8
  • I'm delighted by the news about this. I've a huge amount of respect for the guy - not just in relation to cycling but also cancer.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    I agree that there is no real benefit in pursuing this case although there are many that would like to know the truth whatever the truth maybe.

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,768
    I'm delighted by the news about this. I've a huge amount of respect for the guy - not just in relation to cycling but also cancer.
    +1.
  • Just read his autobiography, (It's not about the bike) a compelling book. Jeez, that is one determined man.

Nothing to be gained from pursuing all these "I saw him take it" allegations in every seedy tabloid/mag who waves a chequebook at a disgruntled former team mate or employee.

As previously said, the man is a legend.
  • Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    Agreed. The man is a hero. Let's remember his victories. I love watching the TdF time trial from a few years ago.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Saw this on BBC News24 at 04:00 this morning but didn't hear the full story cause of the coffee machine. Had to use my Google-Fu when I got home.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    shame, guy is an idiot and livestrong its the biggest scam ever. hope the USADA get him.

he was the cancer of the sport as kimmage said.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    Did you know that Lance actually had CANCER before he won the Tour de France - amazing!

He also wrote "the girl with the dragon tattoo" what a guy!

Also, he boned Adele, or Carly Simon, or Art Garfunkel, or Sheryl Cole or Godzilla or something

Contador however is a fecking doper crack head - FACT - and he never wrote sh1t OR had cancer
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • Well - goes to show that there's nothing like LA (or helmets) to split the cycling community.

I knew nothing much about the guy before I read "It's not about the bike" whilst my son was recovering from the surgery to remove his tumour. I was in tears after a few pages because it was so accurate to our experience. If the guy has taken away even half of what I have from going through it, I'm not surprised he won the Tour 7 times. And I've not even had cancer just watched my son go through it.
    gabriel959 wrote:
    livestrong its the biggest scam ever.

Say some more...
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Well - goes to show that there's nothing like LA (or helmets) to split the cycling community.

I knew nothing much about the guy before I read "It's not about the bike" whilst my son was recovering from the surgery to remove his tumour. I was in tears after a few pages because it was so accurate to our experience. If the guy has taken away even half of what I have from going through it, I'm not surprised he won the Tour 7 times. And I've not even had cancer just watched my son go through it.
    gabriel959 wrote:
    livestrong its the biggest scam ever.

Say some more...

Probably a comment based on the fact that livestrong.com is not the Lance Armstong foundation (livestrong.org) See http://www.livestrong.com/aboutus/ and http://www.livestrong.org/Who-We-Are
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • Sketchley wrote:

Probably a comment based on the fact that livestrong.com is not the Lance Armstong foundation (livestrong.org) See http://www.livestrong.com/aboutus/ and http://www.livestrong.org/Who-We-Are

If it is, I never thought it was the same thing. I'm only interested in the charity side of things though.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,318
    Anyone who has any more the a passing interest in pro cycling who believes that Lance Armstrong did not take performance enhancing drugs is gullible to the point of sheer stupidity.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • It's a tough one. I'm prepared to believe that Armstrong might have at least taken performance enhancing drugs when training, but I'm sure many of his competitors will have done so too and I just don't see the point in going over it all again now. He offered the sport so much that was positive so why bother trying to destroy his reputation now? If he was still racing then sure, such allegations would have to be investigated fully, but there's little point now.

That said, I feel the same about the Contador situation and he's still racing: we all know he is an incredible rider and can clearly win when there's no question of whether he is clean or not so let's all move on.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    It's a tough one. I'm prepared to believe that Armstrong might have at least taken performance enhancing drugs when training, but I'm sure many of his competitors will have done so too and I just don't see the point in going over it all again now. He offered the sport so much that was positive so why bother trying to destroy his reputation now? If he was still racing then sure, such allegations would have to be investigated fully, but there's little point now.

That said, I feel the same about the Contador situation and he's still racing: we all know he is an incredible rider and can clearly win when there's no question of whether he is clean or not so let's all move on.

Snigger snigger. He's been cleared in the federal investigation, however USADA are apparently awaiting the investigation portfolio "with interest". We shall see. I'd echo TWH's comments above. The sad fact, though, is that very few of his contemporaries were clean and credit where credit is due, Lance cheated incredibly well. I do think its worth investigating more by the way, he isn't a footnote in cycling history, he is the most decorated rider in the most prominent event and has built a legend around his recovery from cancer. If all that is built on a lie, I think its something that people need to know. As for Bertie, I agree that for most of his career there's been no question whether he is clean or not. ;)
  • Anyone who has any more the a passing interest in pro cycling who believes that Lance Armstrong did not take performance enhancing drugs is gullible to the point of sheer stupidity.

There may be some truth to this.

OTOH, anyone who can still get themselves frothed up in a lather about Lance and drugs needs to move on with their life a bit.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,342
    Sketchley wrote:

If it is, I never thought it was the same thing. I'm only interested in the charity side of things though.
    No less confusing because they both use the same graphic identity.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • It's a tough one. I'm prepared to believe that Armstrong might have at least taken performance enhancing drugs when training, but I'm sure many of his competitors will have done so too and I just don't see the point in going over it all again now. He offered the sport so much that was positive so why bother trying to destroy his reputation now? If he was still racing then sure, such allegations would have to be investigated fully, but there's little point now.

Oops! :oops:
  • tailwindhome
    Greg66 wrote:
    Anyone who has any more the a passing interest in pro cycling who believes that Lance Armstrong did not take performance enhancing drugs is gullible to the point of sheer stupidity.

OTOH, anyone who can still get themselves frothed up in a lather about Lance and drugs needs to move on with their life a bit.

There's a lot of truth to that.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    [trumpet]Bumpity Bump Bump Bummmp![/trumpet]

*goes home for weekend
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Greg T wrote:
    Also, he boned Adele, or Carly Simon, or Art Garfunkel, or Sheryl Cole or Godzilla or something

But did he bring Godzilla off?

We, the great unwashed, must know!
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    Got to say I would love if the scumbag when to jail, thoroughly deserved... An absolute disgrace he is and was.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/bassons ... is-overdue
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    I'm curious to know why everyone claims now to have known this was going on for years and yet no evidence has been produced apart from hearsay - trial by 'Everybody knows' - as far as I'm concerned the guy is a hero and will remain so unless proved otherwise.
  • vitesse169
    vitesse169 Posts: 422
    I'm curious to know why everyone claims now to have known this was going on for years and yet no evidence has been produced apart from hearsay - trial by 'Everybody knows' - as far as I'm concerned the guy is a hero and will remain so unless proved otherwise.

+1. As these persons now have the threat of prosecution removed - they (as is human nature) will say anything. as LA says - over 500 tests and nothing +ve.
    Why is it that these people detest LA so much ? Is it because he is THAT GOOD ? Now and then, a 'super human' athlete comes along and lights the way - Usain Bolt/Beckham?/Roger Bannister.... - and because they are head & shoulders above the rest, they must be a wrong 'un..... It honestly pisses me off, these athletes train to the exclusion of almost everything else in their lives to be thrown to the lions of the internet for judgement.
    What about that idiot Ferdinand ? Forgot to go to his post match drug test and gets banned for only 5 months most of which was out of season. It appears that cycling is the most scrutinised sport there is, and the most demonised.... What about football/basketball/rugby/track & field ???

Rant (probably not) over.....

Have a nice day....!
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Greg66 wrote:

Human basic can only run, think, pedal so fast, why not augment it with drugs to push the limits of human capabilities?

or are drugs bad mmmkay?

If so ditch the cappuccinos and energy gels and stop being hypocrites.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Greg66 wrote:

Human basic can only run, think, pedal so fast, why not augment it with drugs to push the limits of human capabilities?

or are drugs bad mmmkay?

If so ditch the cappuccinos and energy gels and stop being hypocrites.

:lol:

don't eat surely? there's a teeny weeny canyon between energy gels and blood transfusions..
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I like Lance and personally I like and feel sorry for Contador. (He didn't take enough alright!)

If they were 100m sprinters I would be less tollerant but as dopping was/is so widespread in the sport I have to look at their feats with a measure of suspended belief - and - just appreciate the beauty of it. (Just like THAT climb The Cobra did).
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661

As I said in another thread - it's a bit like the wire.

Everyone knows the Barksdales are dealing drugs.

Just the police need to get it absolutely water-tight to catch them - and often they don't.

Anyway, the USADA are claiming they have 10 eyewitness reports, suspicious blood values that correlate to illegal blood manipulation during his comeback, and a claim that he had a positive test in 2001 that was covered up by the UCI.

That's more than hearsay.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I think its because of naivety of the type in the comments above that this whole issue does still need to be dealt with, even though its now years after the event. Fine for him to be a "hero" if you think what he did was justifiable, but people should at least have the facts available.