New Orange 29'er...

2»

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Compare that to how much faster & bigger CG can go on a bike with the correct size wheels. Really looks like he is taking it steady, not boosting any of those jumps at all.
    It's just a film for Santa Cruz & Banshee to promote their 29ers.
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    yeah maybe, i wonder if we'll see on the DH circuit? theres a few teams with them available to them?
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Intense have been mucking about with 29er dh bikes for ages. But the lack of tyres and forks is a big issue. Til you can get a 29er Boxxer, 40 or 888 and a 29er highroller and wetscream (or equivalent) they're always going to be up against it.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • VWsurfbum
    yeah thats true.
    I've been floating around over on MTBR.com, there's some real fanatical people on their. but the 26-29er debate has almost blown out!
    There's some great freeride bikes like the intense etc, but aparently CUBE have a full on DH machine, but i have seen no pictures.
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • rockmonkeysc
    I can't see it working on a DH bike. The forks will need to be longer & have a higher arch between the lowers so they will either flex more or be heavier. The wheels wont be as strong or heavier. At high speeds the extra gyroscopic force will make them harder to turn.
    The only reason I can see for the teams wanting to use 29ers is to help push sales of 29ers which would then mean that they could phase out 26" wheels to cut production costs by only having one standard size which is also the same size as r*ad bikes.
    It's all a conspiracy
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    The only reason I can see for the teams wanting to use 29ers is to help push sales of 29ers which would then mean that they could phase out 26" wheels to cut production costs by only having one standard size which is also the same size as r*ad bikes.
    It's all a conspiracy
    is there such a thing as a standard size?
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • rockmonkeysc
    I have just read an interview with the Banshee designer on Pinkbike. When asked about the ride & handling characteristics of the 29er he basically says it should ride the same as the 26" wheel bikes. What's the point if it rides the same?
  • VWsurfbum
    I have just read an interview with the Banshee designer on Pinkbike. When asked about the ride & handling characteristics of the 29er he basically says it should ride the same as the 26" wheel bikes. What's the point if it rides the same?
    It will still roll faster and get over objects easier, but without any drawbacks usually assosiated with big wheelers
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • rockmonkeysc
    Other than wheel & chain stay & fork flex, extra weight, more expensive, limited & more expensive tyre choice, limited options for forks & wheels.
    Rolling over stuff easier isn't much of an incentive for a freeride/all mountain bike. Half the fun of riding bigger stuff is manualing through roots & jumping as much as possible and picking the right line. For xc, yes it's an advantage but personally the reason I ride all mountain & freeride is that I want the challenge. Also on a big bike you can carry a lot more speed in to the rough stuff anyway so I really don't see that big wheels will give any advantage.
  • chez_m356
    Other than wheel & chain stay & fork flex, extra weight, more expensive, limited & more expensive tyre choice, limited options for forks & wheels.
    Hasn't all of the above also applied to 26'' wheeled MTB's at one time or another in there history
  • VWsurfbum
    and when you hit the rough stuff the bigger wheels will handle it better!
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • rockmonkeysc

Really? If your riding fast the wheels are just skipping over the tops of the roots & rocks. I can't see that there would be any difference other than the amount of time you would spend truing the weaker wheels.
  • VWsurfbum
    I give up.
    here's a picture of my bike to offend to
    temporary-22-1.jpg
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • rockmonkeysc
    Would look nicer with 24" wheels 8)
  • Torres
    Torres Posts: 1,266

Really? If your riding fast the wheels are just skipping over the tops of the roots & rocks. I can't see that there would be any difference other than the amount of time you would spend truing the weaker wheels.

Depends upon your defenition of better; a larger diameter wheel (29er) will have a greater moment of inertia (resistance to change of angular momentum) than a smaller diameter wheel (26") due to the bulk of the rotating mass being further from the axle. As a result the bike won't be slowed down as much by impacts coming from roots and rocks; allowing you to carry more speed through the rough stuff.
    What We Achieve In Life, Echoes In Eternity
  • VWsurfbum
    yes basically, and the larger circumfrence will go over the rocks and over gaps easier like :wink:
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • chez_m356
    VWsurfbum wrote:
    I give up.
    here's a picture of my bike to offend to
    temporary-22-1.jpg
    aarrgh my eyes, oh er actually, mmm nice, not sure about those cables though :wink:
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    If bigger is better, why have the mainstream manufacturers stopped at 29? Why not 32? Fact is bigger is only better for some - 29er will be a sweetspot for some riders, 26 for others, 24 or27.5, or a mix and so on.
  • Torres
    Torres Posts: 1,266
    supersonic wrote:
    If bigger is better, why have the mainstream manufacturers stopped at 29? Why not 32? Fact is bigger is only better for some - 29er will be a sweetspot for some riders, 26 for others, 24 or27.5, or a mix and so on.

It's the otherside of the argument isn't it. Big wheels roll better over stuff better, but as a result are more difficult to accelerate and a bit more cumbersome to turn. So it depends purely on riding style and types of trails.
    What We Achieve In Life, Echoes In Eternity
  • VWsurfbum
    Torres wrote:
    supersonic wrote:

It's the otherside of the argument isn't it. Big wheels roll better over stuff better, but as a result are more difficult to accelerate and a bit more cumbersome to turn. So it depends purely on riding style and types of trails.
    I agree
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I disapprove of choice though, makes it harder to decide what to buy.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • TheJohnClimber
    TheJohnClimber Posts: 154
    edited February 2012
    I can't see that there would be any difference other than the amount of time you would spend truing the weaker wheels.

I've only ridden 29ers since 2007 and I've got 6 of them, I've ridden loads and only had one buckled wheel and that was then a branch jambed in it, I had more buckles before 2007 on your so called "normal" wheels.
    They aren't slow to accelerate, my Niner's wheels are lighter than any 26er wheels I've ever owned so these accerlerate faster IMHO.
    6022257793_16cd1acd38_o.jpg

The only 26" (rimmed) bike I have is the slowest accerlerater I've ever ridden, but it's great fun
    6864512393_2cc148300d_o.jpg
    And 29er outside diameter

So give big wheels a go and them slag then off if you don't like them, don't knock it until you've tried it.

OT slighty I did ride a 36er last summer but I didn't like it as the truss fork wasn't as good as my Jones's truss fork
    6097935952_decb7ae507_z.jpg

And if Orange are looking in on this I'll happily swap over your new frame for my Rumblefish's frame for a free test/review
    4879478605_d72d2b3a59_o.jpg
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    Evening Kiwi ...

Have tried 29er's, not for me, I prefer the kiddy size wheel bikes, far more fun for the type of places I like to ride :)

edit to add - I say fun above as in my point of view for my riding, as I ride / mess about like a kid, now this may differ from the fun the rest of you wish to experience on your big wheeled adult bikes. Just wanted to get that in before you think i'm saying big wheels cant be fun :) This guys certainly enjoying himself.

1009___22_02___Penny_Farthing_by_TwistedMethodDan.jpg