Cold hands and feet

2»

Comments

• mcnultycop wrote:
    I got some Altura gloves, fairly pricey (£30 odd quid, RRP £40, I recall) but they are completely waterproof and really warm. I wear Sealskinz thin socks with the free Norco socks as mentioned above underneath, my feet still get cold as the Airwalks I wear hold water if they get wet, so whilst the Sealskinz keep my feet dry, being wrapped in cold trainers doesn't help. I'm looking at getting some 5 10s in a couple of weeeks when I get paid, so hopefully this problem will go away.

5 10s are great but 'not holding water' isn't one of the descriptions I'd give them. They get wet! I've yet to find much of a solution, my friend thinks his Shimano Am41s are something of an improvement but we've yet to get a real test of them thanks to recent dry spells. Not complaining!
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    5/10s soak up water.. they act like a sponge,, even my karvers soak up warter in the wet but not as bad as the impact ones..
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    Ah, bollocks. My Airwalks are fabric and nubuck so they are basically a sponge. I thought the 5 10s would be a bit better. I'll get some thicker socks.
  • d00m
    d00m Posts: 160
    mcnultycop wrote:
    Ah, bollocks. My Airwalks are fabric and nubuck so they are basically a sponge. I thought the 5 10s would be a bit better. I'll get some thicker socks.

These are pretty good; they have a soft sole like a trainer, but the goretex liner keeps them dry.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/NIKE-Mens-Rongb ... m_sbs_sh_3
  • timpop
    timpop Posts: 394
    theshrew wrote:
    I presume you mean if my shoes are tight fit then could restrict blood flow so my trotters will be colder - this could well be the case when ive got thermal socks on they are pretty tight...
    ...Will try a few of the tips on here see how i go.
    That's is what I mean. I hope you find the right solution. Good luck!
    Many happy trails!
  • hainman
    hainman Posts: 699
    would putting wee tight socks over bigger thick socks not mean tighter and therefor restricting the blood.
    i had same problem and went and bought some karrimor waterproof walking boots and with my sealskinz sock my feet are way hotter,at 35pound the boots are a winner for me,not everyones way of thinking but suit me....also have sugoi heavy winter gloves that i got in tkmaxx for 20pound...
    Giant Reign 2
    Crohnie
  • SealSkins socks. The thick ones are awesome.

Stick a Buff round your neck to stop the cold air going down your jacket.

Keeping warm is all about
    - Keeping the wind off
    - Getting the sweat away from your body

Your baselayers should be either a synthetic wicking material or merino wool. This takes the sweat away from your body. With this you need a windproof, but breathable outer layer (Waterproof means more protection, but also less breathability).

If you just want something light to chuck on, have a look at the very thin Pertex layers such as the Montane Featherlite.

I ride in a Rab Baltoro winter softshell. Made of hardback Polartec fleece with a fluffy lining and is relatively waterproof if treated with NikWax, but it will keep me warm if its wet through. As soon as its too warm to be wearing this. Its normally fine to wear just a baselayer or 2.

I however run quite cold.

Non breathable stuff is a definite no!
    The sweat just stays next to your skin and condenses inside your jacket. This makes you really cold!
  • Them Norco thin socks under Sealskinz thick ones kept my toes nice and toasty last weekend. Worth it for the extra cold rides otherwise just the sealskinz seem to work. Haven't yet stopped the fingers being numb a bit more than I'd like, but I seem particularly susceptible to that anyway. Sometimes just driving to work on a cold day will do it!
  • I also suffer from cold hands and feet, to the point where if I let them get too cold my finger tips and toes will go so pale they look dead. I can be sweating hot everywhere else but it's like my blood doesn't bother with them.
    The only cure is to keep them warm and the only way I have found of doing this on my feet is some snow boots, they are fur lined to the toes waterproof on the bottom (wind can't get in either) and come up just under my knees. Toasty feet!
    Socks wise I agree the best is thin under thick but only as long as you can fit them in your shoes without being tight.

Latex gloves do work, I frequently find myself working on my car in the cold and wet and although I have not tried them as an under glove they make the difference between numb and just cold on their own.
  • hainman
    SupraMel,i have that too but went to the docs and got diagnosed with reynauds disease,its when your circulation is bad,my finger tips go white and its a nightmare,
    Giant Reign 2
    Crohnie
  • Dude, it's Reynaud's PHENOMENON, which sounds way cooler than having a disease!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raynaud's_phenomenon

I think I may have it to some degree but not bad enough that I've been to the doc's for a diagnosis.

Got some Gore undergloves this week in the hopes of help. Otherwise I guess I'll just have to make sure I keep the bike pointing uphill often enough to keep the blood pumping well.
  • hainman
    haha ok milko.....suppose it makes me sound like a lepper.i went to the quacks to get checked as my fingers feel like they were brick hard at times.also got checked for arthritis as i have another auto immune disease...
    got the all-clear though,
    Giant Reign 2
    Crohnie