Cold hands and feet

theshrew
theshrew Posts: 169
edited February 2012 in MTB general
No matter what i do i always seem to have cold hands and feet. I dont mind cold winter mornings in fact quite like them apart from cold feet and hands.

My winter wear is

Thermal socks
Shorts
Base layer
T shirt
Jersey
Jumper i
Seal skin winter gloves.

After maybe 20min my hands seem to get a bit better but my feet are constantly cold the whole time im out.

Anyone got any tips for keeping my trotters nice and warm. Would wearing more or something different on top make a difference ?

Comments

• .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    You have to take care of the parts of the body where there's a lot of blood is close to the surface i.e. head, neck, wrists, ankles, kidneys.

Keept these areas warm and the rest will take care of itself.

By the same token I have a mate who is a block of ice in these conditions and he reckons the gel foot/hand warmers from hiking shops are some comfort but not a miracle cure.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Ski gloves, add another thin pair of socks.
    Tights.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • very odd,

I suffer from very cold extremities too, most important thing in keeping warm is to guard your core temp, make sure your chest is warmblood flows from here. next is to guard the main heat loss areas as the above posters say.

My main item for me thats keeps me good though is my wind stopper, i find wind chill really hits me as i lack alot of body weight, and more than insulation i work to block the wind and that really helps me. a buff for the head is really useful too.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I have built in insulation - eat more pies.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • TownyDC
    TownyDC Posts: 157
    We did our usual Wednesday night ride last night and it was exceptionally cold. I tend to get really cold toes although I wear the following, endura baabaa socks, another pair of norco socks (free with mbuk) over these, then I have cut some zip tie bags to cover the front of my feet. Then I wear spds and overshoes on top. I've even taped up the vents on the spd's to emit cold air. Still my toes go numb. What am I doing wrong. Torso, fingers, legs, all toasty but can't get the toes right. Help!
  • Overshoes might help. Also I'd ditch the t-shirt layer and replace it with another baselayer if you need it, not sure a jumper it the right thing either a windproof or softshell jacket would be better.
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Not enough on your core - you need something windproof in this.
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    spds is were your going wrong, flats all the way 5/10s.. :P :lol::lol::lol::lol:

i found when i had my spd pedals, the shoes i had-had vents in even with over shoes and 2 pair of sock my feet would freeze really bad.. same with my road bike commuting.
    i ended up getting some winter shoes for my commute i got a pair of diadora chillie extremes.. these made a hell of a difference,
    for my mtb i got a pair of lake mxz 301 these boots are so so warm and toasty they look hidious but keep you dry and warm..

i ride flat pedals on my mtb now with 5/10s with a decent pair of socks my feet are fine...

still have spd on my road bike...
  • theshrew
    Ok so its a good idea for me to get a jacket wind / rain.

Anyone got any good suggestions ? Cheap as possible but without being rubbish
  • njee20
    Cheap ones won't breathe, so you'll sweat. If you're only riding gently that may not be an issue. I've got a Gore Xenon and two Assos 851s which are excellent, but certainly not cheap! Something like an Altura Nevis is reasonably basic but will keep you warm. Definitely in the 'boil in the bag' category. Sure others can advise...
  • Altura one is actualy very good for the moeny, used mine for a while nw, and it has decent venting, pretty ok breathability. not as good as more costly items for sure, but value for money wise it reall does beat down on alot of more expensive items.

So for a basic one it's good, but like most things on bikes its alot about fit too as we are all different body shaps :)
  • delcol
    i'd say go with a decent windproof i have a waterproof endura venturi (event) jacket and a endura windproof jacket i alway go for the windproof unless it is lashing it down.. i always carry the waterproof in my backpack ..

like mentioned a decent windproof/windstopper makes a hell of a difference, as for price go for the best you can afford..

i was always sceptical about paying £70-£80 for a windproof i kept looking and toying with the idea.. then one october evening i was out with our kid and disaster struck i snapped my chain climbing back up winterhill rivington (furthest point away from the car on the ride) it was starting to go dark.. i hiked up to the top of the hill next to the transmitter and under torch light fixed the chain,
    it was blowing a nice cold breeze trying to use a chain tool and hold a torch in the cold was hard i was shivering away i managed to fix the chain and ride back to the car, needless to say when i got home i was straight on the net to order that windproof jacket,, i did not want to go through that again i never been so cold stuck up there on that moor..
  • TownyDC
    TownyDC Posts: 157
    Totaly agree Thewaylander, i had one for Christmas and have used it in torrential rain, wind and last night freezing conditions and it has kept me warm on all ocasions.
    As a budget waterproof the Nevis is great value for money and i wouldn't hesitate to recomend it.
    I stick a base layer and polaris windproof under mine and it's just the job.
    As you say with sizing i opted for an extra large as it gives you length on the sleeve.
  • theshrew
    Cheers so far fellas.

The one reason ive not got a jacket so far is mainly due to fit. I must have a long top half or something always have a mere to find tops long enough so i dont get my arse hanging out. Normally just carry a old golf one with me as thats a real good quality top just in case of rain as a make do type thing.

Think im probably best going to a shop and trying a few on. Worth a investment if i keep warmer :mrgreen:
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    theshrew wrote:
    Cheers so far fellas.

The one reason ive not got a jacket so far is mainly due to fit. I must have a long top half or something always have a mere to find tops long enough so i dont get my ars* hanging out.
    Cycling specific jackets have a longer back and arms, to take account of the riding position. Don't know if your comment referred to 'normal' or cycling jackets though.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • njee20
    Worth thinking about bibtights too, doesn't really matter if it comes up a bit short then, your back won't get cold.
  • njee20 wrote:
    Worth thinking about bibtights too, doesn't really matter if it comes up a bit short then, your back won't get cold.

just make sure the arms are long enough int it Njee. otherwise it can feel a bit funky :p

cor we agree'd on summat again fricken miricles will happen!
  • njee20
    Definitely! Particularly if you want to tuck your gloves underneath. And check the shoulders too, make sure it's not too tight in a cycling position.
    cor we agree'd on summat again fricken miricles will happen!

I imagine we could argue on the ideal 'cut', don't worry ;-)
  • MTB boots for me as I am the biggest tart when it comes to cold I hate it and like you my feet and hands suffer badly so this year I bought a pair of Specialized Defroster Boots I wear a pair of woollie boollie socks with them and I'm toasty warm but as others have said layering up properly is essential and don't wear a waterproof like a lot of riders do unless it's raining as if you use this as part of your layering your going to get wet from sweat and then cold.

As for your hands well best of luck I have bought every pair of gloves imaginable as I spend a lot of time mountain walking aswell and although my hands don't get cold when walking they do on the bike due to the position your in so blood doesn't flow as freely to the fingers, I have tried almost every pair of winter cycling gloves and my mountain gloves but the really thick gloves or mitts that will keep you warm but will hinder your gear changing and braking.

Liners I have tried and to be honest the only thing that works for me if they are getting cold is to put one hand at a time by my waist and keep shaking my hand and moving my fingers quickly to help blood flow.

I can honestly say I have spent way to much money trying to solve this problem but unfortunately I am just one of those people that suffer with cold hands so I avoid going out when the temprature drops below Zero degrees as above this I can cope just.
    Apologies for war and peace just trying to save you some cash
    Zesty 514 Scott Scale 20 GT Expert HalfwayupMTB
  • delcol
    a sneaky trick try a pair of latex/vynl gloves under your riding gloves... this should help keep those bellringers warm..
  • delcol wrote:
    a sneaky trick try a pair of latex/vynl gloves under your riding gloves... this should help keep those bellringers warm..

Does this really work as I have heard someone else say this but I just dismissed as I can't see how it can help that's not to say it doesn't I just fail to see how
    Zesty 514 Scott Scale 20 GT Expert HalfwayupMTB
  • timpop
    timpop Posts: 394
    Better than that use some polypro glove liners, really thin gloves basically that adds an effective and warm thin layer. Same goes with your feet, super thin base layer socks. I wonder if you're packing too much into you shoes and restricting blood flow. I've got the thin boot outer liners that work well for me.

I'm not so sure your plastic bag around your toes is ideal either as it will keep moisture in and as a result the cold too. The moisture has to get out.

Do you just wear shorts or are your lower legs covered too? If not I'd recommend covering your legs as that will help keep the blood warm as it travels to your feet.

And as others have said try and keep your torso as warm as possible.

I'm lucky because the cold doesn't really bother me though, partly because I'm half Canadian and walked to school bare foot in the snow for 10kms or so with only whiskey and the threat of wolves to keep me warm (and have really good circulation).

Have fun out there.
    Many happy trails!
  • d00m
    d00m Posts: 160
    Hand stretches warm the hands up really well, or starting out with a short sharp climb out of the saddle; gripping the bars and throwing them side to side using your bodyweight to grunt up the climb gets the warm blood circulating.

Try overshoes to stop the actual boot your foot is encased within from chilling, and two thinnish pairs of long socks as well. You shouldnt be cutting off circulation this way either.

For a jacket, I'd go for a softshell, superbreathable and keeps the wind out, and will resist moderate rain.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,660
    I've been putting on an extra thinner pair of socks over my thermal socks and bought a pair of those thinnish running gloves that fit inside my normal MTB gloves. Both help as I suffer from cold hand and feet despite having plenty core insulation (clothes-wise).

Failing that, go for ski kit as mentioned above.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • delcol
    i seen the vinyl glove trick trick in whistler back 2010 the redbull 5000 dh race was on (september) starts right at the top of mountain up from peakchair. on the day of the race it snowed up there and was cold..
    some of the competitors were usuing latex/vinyl gloves under their riding gloves to keep there hands warm. so i guess it works i also seen it recomended in mags..
  • Went out last night with the following:

long sleeved base layer
    bib shorts
    long legged tights over top of shorts
    Baggy MTB shorts over tights
    Waterproof\Windproof jacket (not too thin, but also not thick - Madison I think)
    Normal socks
    Pair of 510's
    New Gore Winter gloves

Feet were peachy warm. Body, legs arms fine and fingers warmed up in the end (approx 15mins or fingertip numbness to begin with). Overall pretty impressed with 510's and gore gloves.

That was in -5 degrees.
  • theshrew
    timpop wrote:
    Better than that use some polypro glove liners, really thin gloves basically that adds an effective and warm thin layer. Same goes with your feet, super thin base layer socks. I wonder if you're packing too much into you shoes and restricting blood flow. I've got the thin boot outer liners that work well for me.

I'm not so sure your plastic bag around your toes is ideal either as it will keep moisture in and as a result the cold too. The moisture has to get out.

Do you just wear shorts or are your lower legs covered too? If not I'd recommend covering your legs as that will help keep the blood warm as it travels to your feet.

I'm lucky because the cold doesn't really bother me though, partly because I'm half Canadian and walked to school bare foot in the snow for 10kms or so with only whiskey and the threat of wolves to keep me warm (and have really good circulation).

Have fun out there.

I presume you mean if my shoes are tight fit then could restrict blood flow so my trotters will be colder - this could well be the case when ive got thermal socks on they are pretty tight.

Yes i only wear shorts + 661 knee pads so with long socks only a little bit of my legs are bare.

I dont really feel the cold normally its just my feet that never get warm my hands never get cosey but get better the longer im out.

Will try a few of the tips on here see how i go.
  • so far i been wearing following.

Endura jersey
    Gore Phantom jacket(this is EPIC i swear you must get one of these, the winstopper is 100% and keeps you warm without the cold sweats, best kit ever)

Inner/lycra shorts
    Baggy shorts
    Leg warmers(gore again very good)
    Sealskin socks(not bad but not great vs wind)
    Summer gloves lol, need to change that.

atm just need some Gloves and if i can afford it a pair of bibs to cutt down on the amount of time it takes to get ready ..
    London2Brighton Challange 100k!
    http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    I got some Altura gloves, fairly pricey (£30 odd quid, RRP £40, I recall) but they are completely waterproof and really warm. I wear Sealskinz thin socks with the free Norco socks as mentioned above underneath, my feet still get cold as the Airwalks I wear hold water if they get wet, so whilst the Sealskinz keep my feet dry, being wrapped in cold trainers doesn't help. I'm looking at getting some 5 10s in a couple of weeeks when I get paid, so hopefully this problem will go away.
  • mkf
    mkf Posts: 242
    just had a light bulb moment

what about a pair of them ankle tights that nan wears.
    there suppose to be really warm any lady riders out there vouch for this