Dog v. Cyclist

2»

Comments

• bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    hmbadger wrote:
    Mussorgsky wrote:
    ....... It's pretty clear to me that dogs ought to be leashed when there's traffic around. Even in parks......

But dogs need proper exercise - can't get that being on a leash all the time, any more than you can. Where do you expect them to get that exercise? Parks are shared spaces and everyone needs to be as tolerant and considerate of others as they can. That includes keeping reasonable control over dogs, but also includes cyclists going at a speed commensurate with the conditions and number of people/dogs about.

The day I walk home and don't have to avoid dogsh!t will be the day I'm ok with dogs off the lead.

I can't see that day ever coming.
    Doesn't help with owners who happily hold the lead while their dog squats wherever they feel like. Personally I think being put down is entirely reasonable for this kind of behaviour, although I'm inclined to spare the dog as it's not actually its fault.
  • Feltup
    Feltup Posts: 1,340
    @King Jeffers - OK that made me laugh. That's the problem when you throw like a girl I suppose ;-)
    Short hairy legged roadie FCN 4 or 5 in my baggies.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Specialized Singlecross - 2008
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
    Peugeot Tourmalet - 1983 - taken more hits than Mohammed Ali
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    northstar wrote:
    Re: walking, the biggest suprise I had was coming down dark hill to find 7/8 women walking 7/8 abreast and deliberately trying to block me at first - as much i like to think i can stop quickly, i was freewheeling and still would have had trouble stopping, wisely they let me go through a gap.

Was it some sort of feminist take back the dark roads movement? I'm assuming you were legally allowed to be riding where you were?

Seriously if you're on a road and see a moving light coming towards you, you move out of the way don't you?
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    bompington wrote:
    hmbadger wrote:
    Mussorgsky wrote:
    ....... It's pretty clear to me that dogs ought to be leashed when there's traffic around. Even in parks......

But dogs need proper exercise - can't get that being on a leash all the time, any more than you can. Where do you expect them to get that exercise? Parks are shared spaces and everyone needs to be as tolerant and considerate of others as they can. That includes keeping reasonable control over dogs, but also includes cyclists going at a speed commensurate with the conditions and number of people/dogs about.

The day I walk home and don't have to avoid dogsh!t will be the day I'm ok with dogs off the lead.

I can't see that day ever coming.
    Doesn't help with owners who happily hold the lead while their dog squats wherever they feel like. Personally I think being put down is entirely reasonable for this kind of behaviour, although I'm inclined to spare the dog as it's not actually its fault.
    Round our way they tend to pick it up in little plastic bags...

...and then hang the bags of sh*t on surrounding trees/bushes/fences. WTF?!?
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    TGOTB wrote:
    Round our way they tend to pick it up in little plastic bags...

...and then hang the bags of sh*t on surrounding trees/bushes/fences. WTF?!?
    This is really bonkers. I'd prefer it if they just didn't bother to pick it up, it'll soon get washed away or just degrade. Poo trees like that really wind me up.
    There was a bag of poo left in the middle of the path in Bushy Park this morning about 5 feet away from a poo bin. If I'd seen the owner I would have dragged them over to it by the scruff of the neck and rubbed their nose in it.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    My commute takes me through Eastville Park Bristol, a marked shared path and part of the Frome Valley cycle route. Obviously the park is full of dogs and their owners, last week a large labrador was barking and chasing after me; I was truly fearful of a bite and / or an off into the river beside the path. I was cycling slowly and responsibly.

I stopped to talk to the owner to ask respectfully if she could keep the dog under control. She says, "don't worry, she wouldn't hurt you". This is my pet hate! How the hell do I know it won't hurt me when it comes running at me. I asked her several different ways if she could explain this to me, but she failed to do so. She just said "dogs do that". I said she was supposed to keep the dog under control, and if it ran and barked at people it put them in fear, so wasn't under control.

She pushed me and told me to F'off - so that went well!

So, can anyone explain to me what a harmless dog looks like? I know it doesn't mean "Labrador" 'cos I've been bitten by one of those before (and a beagle, and a jack russell).

Also, can anyone explain why these people are so devoted to their animals that they seem happy to let them run under the wheels of a bike? Dog lovers???
  • t4tomo wrote:
    northstar wrote:
    Re: walking, the biggest suprise I had was coming down dark hill to find 7/8 women walking 7/8 abreast and deliberately trying to block me at first - as much i like to think i can stop quickly, i was freewheeling and still would have had trouble stopping, wisely they let me go through a gap.

Was it some sort of feminist take back the dark roads movement? I'm assuming you were legally allowed to be riding where you were?

Seriously if you're on a road and see a moving light coming towards you, you move out of the way don't you?

Possibly, they looked like a family out for a evening stroll.

I really don't want to hit any walkers but doing this really doesn't help, considering how steep dark hill is, it's quite easy to hit 40mph maybe more down there without a lot of effort.
    Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.