Dog v. Cyclist

Mussorgsky
Mussorgsky Posts: 12
edited February 2012 in Commuting chat
Broke my arm about a month ago, and now that's its mending I'm cycling again. I thought that a good way to work back up to regular riding would be to do early morning laps of the park near where I live (Battersea Park). I'm still wearing a brace, riding isn't completely comfortable, and there's more room for error (or so I thought) on roads that are mostly closed to traffic. This plan worked OK for the first couple of rides. This morning, though, I hit a dog. It ran straight out into the road. Wasn't on a leash. The dog hit the seatstays and sort of bounced off, and I wobbled a bit. Still, on reflection, this could have been a _lot_ worse. It's pretty clear to me that dogs ought to be leashed when there's traffic around. Even in parks.

Anyway, I've decided that the regular roads are actually safer, so that's where I'll be from now on. Anyone else have this experience, or a near miss?

Comments

• apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    lots of near misses - some dogs seem to be attracted to bikes and throw themselves in the way...!
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Riding through Richmond Park late one night last week, I came across a guy in black walking along the side of the road. It wasn't until I had passed him that I spotted the black labrador walking ahead of him, on the other side of the road, and the long black lead connecting them :shock:
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    Yes, dogs are deeply unpredicatable. I often have similar problems to that described by TGOTB in Bushy Park. Some considerate owners put little flashing LEDs on their dogs. Problem is the lit up dogs are often being chased by ninja dogs.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    A mate was out on his MTB when dog took exception and bit him......4 neat puncture wound on his calf, we told him it was a double pinch flat...

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    It's no safer on the road.

Cycling along on New Years Day to clear the head along the normal club route and a pleasant enough day for the time of year. I have previously observed that there are a whole lot more people out walking. No doubt clearing their heads or trying out their New Years resolutions.
    As there were so many people out and about, the guy on the other side of the street walking his dog barely registered.
    A full grown Bull Mastif, off the leash and coming for me :shock:
    Cue the scene from American Flyer. I did my best but was not at my best and thought it was going to catch me.
    Fortunately, either my flight or it's master's command to return was enough to satisfy it and it gave up. Phew!

In conclusion. Mandatory leashes - Oh yes!
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    Yes, dogs are deeply unpredicatable. I often have similar problems to that described by TGOTB in Bushy Park. Some considerate owners put little flashing LEDs on their dogs. Problem is the lit up dogs are often being chased by ninja dogs.

I was cycling down the river path from Nottingham to the Sawley Marina last week: pitch black, middle of a country park no one around.

Then I can see through the grass and trees, a whole plethora of weird bouncing flashing lights of all different colours coming towards.

I hadn't got a flipping clue what the hell was going on and was really confused about what was coming towards me! I was thinking I was in the sequel of Paul or something!!! Close Encounters of the River kind

As I turn the bend in the path, these 3 dogs coming bounding towards me with multiple LEDs attached to their collars, their legs and the leads...

Bizarre sight, but very very cool!
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • TGOTB wrote:
    Riding through Richmond Park late one night last week, I came across a guy in black walking along the side of the road. It wasn't until I had passed him that I spotted the black labrador walking ahead of him, on the other side of the road, and the long black lead connecting them :shock:

I'd be inclined to report that here (not that they could do a hell of a lot maybe) : https://secure.met.police.uk/saferneigh ... p?rid=2635

Chances are it wasn't intentional but I have come across people walking (or jogging) on both sides of road wearing all black who either seem to think bikes aren't allowed in after dark or possibly doing it deliberately, if cyclists are required lights then it should be fair to make everyone require a torch (as i saw a sensible couple doing the other night) or some sort of light with them, it's just common sense to me.

Never come across a dog walker on the road though after dark, new one on me.
    Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    To be fair it was the road between Pen Ponds car park and Ham Gate, so probably not regarded as a road by some pedestrians as cars aren't allowed.

A lot of people seem to be putting lights on their dogs these days; very good idea for all concerned. Ride through the park at the right time in the evening, and the place looks like a firework display :-)
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Was there an owner shouting FENTON! about 100m behind?
  • TGOTB wrote:
    To be fair it was the road between Pen Ponds car park and Ham Gate, so probably not regarded as a road by some pedestrians as cars aren't allowed.

A lot of people seem to be putting lights on their dogs these days; very good idea for all concerned. Ride through the park at the right time in the evening, and the place looks like a firework display :-)

http://youtu.be/D2FX9rviEhw

:)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • I don't think that walkers really can be asked to have lights after all they are hardly moving fast, in terms of dogs well thats more a keeping control of the dog.

the long leads across the path is frankly people being unthinking.

but it cuts both ways fast things like bikes need to travel within the distance they can see, clearly a dark dog thundering out of the undergrowth is hard to spot, but normally the walkers can be spotted and the fact a dog is somewhere can be assumed.

dogs don't seem to beable to work out bikes movement, I have found with my folks dog that the only way is to make sure i'm either plodding slowly or i'm knocking on for 30mph so he can't fool about infront of the wheel
  • TGOTB wrote:

Ah i get you, i had a woman who let dog run across me there the other day when i was barely doing 5mph, naturally she accused me of speeding which shows she let it do what it wants on purpose.

It's a bit of a tricky one that path, as it's closed to cars but bikes still allowed etc, probably let it go i guess but could have been nasty.
    Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.
  • My greyhounds have the flashy collars & if I see the bike in time (lots of ninjas on my walk) I always get them to me as they can be quite curious about bikes. Maybe that is my fault for running them with me cycling to give their legs a good workout now and again.

I'm all in favour of responsibility with dogs and have had words a couple of times with owners after near misses with loose ones.
  • I don't think that walkers really can be asked to have lights after all they are hardly moving fast, in terms of dogs well thats more a keeping control of the dog.

Fair point, a torch would still be wise I think, most joggers in RP at night tend to have lights on their arms which is a big help or wear a white top or trousers/shorts.

I wish more people would walk on the roads in the park in a way but during the daytime it's like a red rag to a bull with certain drivers.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    It would be great if all the deer were fitted with red LED nose implants. They'd all look like Rudolf and I'd be able to see them well in advance. On occasions I've smelt them before I've seen them. Scared the life out of me.
  • nation
    nation Posts: 609
    I've had a few near misses, but mostly riding off-road. Dogs leaping out of the undergrowth is not a pleasant experience. To be fair, though, the owners may very well be some distance away so I don't necessarily expect that dogs encountered in the back of beyond to to be tightly controlled.

It's interesting that they always seem to go for either wheels or pedals. I'm guessing it's got to be something instinctive.

There's a dog that lives in a patch of wasteground with static caravans on it that I ride past that, it's shot out of the gate going for the bike a few times. It stopped after the time it took an M520 to the face.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I've planted my front wheel into the ribs of a dog and I came off second best :( Riding through the tunnel on the Bristol-Bath cyclepath and I see one dog so slow and ride around it and as I do so the second dog appears in front of me which meant I did an endo onto my chin and broke a tooth and now have a cap. The owner said the dog was under control :shock: Running free in a tunnel is not under control.
    More recent meetings with dogs and owners have been more positive. I was finishing work at 2200 and rode along an unlit lane for 1.5 miles. As I dropped down off an over bridge I saw a torch waving which confused me slightly but as I passed by the torch it was pointed into the bushes at a black labrador and a word of thanks was issued to the pair.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • northstar wrote:
    I don't think that walkers really can be asked to have lights after all they are hardly moving fast, in terms of dogs well thats more a keeping control of the dog.

Fair point, a torch would still be wise I think, most joggers in RP at night tend to have lights on their arms which is a big help or wear a white top or trousers/shorts.

I wish more people would walk on the roads in the park in a way but during the daytime it's like a red rag to a bull with certain drivers.

unless it's very dark there is plenty of light to walk by, sorry but if walkers are surprising then folks need better lights or less speed or both. I bought my good light to see deer, 40 stone of deer can move fast and in suprising directions.

be careful what you wish for, with out cars the roads would be full of walkers and strollers strung out in a line. would solve the 20mph limit though ;-)
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    You sound like you're as accident prone as me. I'm currently recovering from a fractured arm (not enough to keep me off the bike though).

Anyway, after hitting a dog then landing on it and bruising my ribs I've taken to yelling, threatening to kick, slap, punch any dog that so much as thinks about running at my bike. Then I yell 'train it before it gets run over' at it's owner. A couple of near misses with the same dogs/owners gets them to keep out of the way when they hear a bike.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • unless it's very dark there is plenty of light to walk by, sorry but if walkers are surprising then folks need better lights or less speed or both. I bought my good light to see deer, 40 stone of deer can move fast and in suprising directions.

be careful what you wish for, with out cars the roads would be full of walkers and strollers strung out in a line. would solve the 20mph limit though ;-)

True, true. My light can show up pretty much everything with a good 200 yards or so, deer is the one thing i'm always fearful of, i always expect the unexpected with them.

Re: walking, the biggest suprise I had was coming down dark hill to find 7/8 women walking 7/8 abreast and deliberately trying to block me at first - as much i like to think i can stop quickly, i was freewheeling and still would have had trouble stopping, wisely they let me go through a gap.
  • Was there an owner shouting FENTON! about 100m behind?

:mrgreen:

I have it on good authority that Fenton is being retrained to answer to a new name, so embarrassed is the owner by that youtube clip...
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • How does this dog survive :shock:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIe6hYAdw_I
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    I'm not sure Battersea Park is the most sensible place to do laps on a bike. Full of kids and Dogs. Why not just go to Richmond? It's not exactly far from Battersea and at least people there are expecting cars/bikes etc moving at 20mph or so.
  • Feltup
    Feltup Posts: 1,340
    I have a story about 2 dogs!

Cycling along a country lane with a small row of terraced houses to my left, minding my own business when I spotted a very large black dog up ahead in the centre of the road. It didn't look right, too calm yet the eyes were a bit manic. I slowed as I approached the dog but it didn't move. I veered to go behind it and it turned to block my way. I was now 20ft from it and decided to stop at which point it slowly walked towards me. I am now starting to brick it because this dog just doesn't look right. Rather than turn and run I decided to get off my bike and keep it between me and the dog like that was going to stop it!

Next thing the dog lunges, no sound, no growl just straight in to the attack. I held the bike up and it thwarted the first attack. I was now beyond bricking it and wondering how the hell I was going to hold off another attack when I saw movement from my left and another dog was flying at me.

SH1T!!!!!!!! I am done for now.

But rather than go for me it went straight at the much larger dog which promptly turned tail and ran. I had been saved by a heroic labrador!

I gave him a big scruffle behind the ear and he trotted off no doutb to ready himself for his next act of bravery.

BLack Lab I salute you, brave hound.
    Short hairy legged roadie FCN 4 or 5 in my baggies.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Specialized Singlecross - 2008
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
    Peugeot Tourmalet - 1983 - taken more hits than Mohammed Ali
  • hmbadger
    hmbadger Posts: 181
    Mussorgsky wrote:
    ....... It's pretty clear to me that dogs ought to be leashed when there's traffic around. Even in parks......

But dogs need proper exercise - can't get that being on a leash all the time, any more than you can. Where do you expect them to get that exercise? Parks are shared spaces and everyone needs to be as tolerant and considerate of others as they can. That includes keeping reasonable control over dogs, but also includes cyclists going at a speed commensurate with the conditions and number of people/dogs about.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    hmbadger wrote:
    Mussorgsky wrote:
    ....... It's pretty clear to me that dogs ought to be leashed when there's traffic around. Even in parks......

But dogs need proper exercise - can't get that being on a leash all the time, any more than you can. Where do you expect them to get that exercise? Parks are shared spaces and everyone needs to be as tolerant and considerate of others as they can. That includes keeping reasonable control over dogs, but also includes cyclists going at a speed commensurate with the conditions and number of people/dogs about.

The day I walk home and don't have to avoid dogsh!t will be the day I'm ok with dogs off the lead.

I can't see that day ever coming.
  • Feltup wrote:
    BLack Lab I salute you, brave hound.

Feltup you are the winner :lol:

I recall a time when a manic dog ran towards me, its owner in panic flung her retractable leader towards the dog... but missed and hit me :cry:
  • Mussorgsky
    Mussorgsky Posts: 12
    edited February 2012
    You sound like you're as accident prone as me. I'm currently recovering from a fractured arm (not enough to keep me off the bike though).

Anyway, after hitting a dog then landing on it and bruising my ribs I've taken to yelling, threatening to kick, slap, punch any dog that so much as thinks about running at my bike. Then I yell 'train it before it gets run over' at it's owner. A couple of near misses with the same dogs/owners gets them to keep out of the way when they hear a bike.

I know this feeling. The trouble is that a dog under a wheel means that no matter what happens to the dog, you're coming off. And I don't really want to harm dogs.
  • I'm not sure Battersea Park is the most sensible place to do laps on a bike. Full of kids and Dogs. Why not just go to Richmond? It's not exactly far from Battersea and at least people there are expecting cars/bikes etc moving at 20mph or so.

I basically agree, and if I wasn't still mending my fracture, this is what I'd be doing. It's what I normally do. Still, why shouldn't the Battersea Park carriageway be thought of as a place to get some exercise? The runners aren't a problem. And other parks as well?
  • hmbadger wrote:
    Mussorgsky wrote:

Sure, but let me say a bit more about what happened. Cycling in Battersea Park is only allowed on the perimeter road: that's where I was, wearing high-vis. The dog that ran into me (a black lab, funnily enough) was running at full tilt, perpendicular to the road, heading across the road towards the park's central green space. Its owner was still way back in the car park (as far as I could tell). It was literally unavoidable, since I didn't see it at all until a couple of seconds before it hit. Lots of cyclists about, this being early-ish morning. Park maintenance trucks as well. A slightly more aware dog owner would use a leash until actually out of the car park and across the road, no? It's not just a matter of being sensible; I think there are also liability issues.