Riding Commando!

bus_ter
bus_ter Posts: 337
edited February 2012 in Road beginners
I read somewhere that one should ride without underwear in just their shorts/Bibs etc.. Is this true? What's the reason? Saddle Sores?

Comments

• NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    it's so we can apply chamois cream in public
  • I can only assume its to save the discomfort of cycling in wet underwear which can get very cold in this weather and cause chafing/rubbing? Hence the chamois cream/sudacrem etc... Not gone commando yet but may consider it for a londer ride!
    Current bike: 2014 Kinesis Racelight T2 - built by my good self!
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    the pads are designed to be worn against the skin - if you wear something underneath it will bunch up and rub and chaff...plus it will likely soak up with sweat too making things even worse.
  • Is -
    You must avoid VPL
    one of the rules then?

Joking aside no pants - it's to avoid the underpant bunching and the pad should be against skin as Omar said.

PS - Why is called going commando is it a well know habit of commando's to be pantless?
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    As said the pad is designed to give a smooth, seamless contact patch against your skin, they are also usually designed to be breathable. If you wear undercrackers with them you're defeating a lot of the benefits they provide and are basically just using them for the cushioning which isn't the whole idea.
  • Is -
    You must avoid VPL
    one of the rules then?

Joking aside no pants - it's to avoid the underpant bunching and the pad should be against skin as Omar said.

PS - Why is called going commando is it a well know habit of commando's to be pantless?
    For the fairer sex I use the term "Titanic" because we all know what sinks ships!

My understanding is that the whole idea of chamois is to absorb sweat, if there is a layer of clothing in between then it defeats the purpose.
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    bus_ter wrote:
    I read somewhere that one should ride without underwear in just their shorts/Bibs etc.. Is this true? What's the reason? Saddle Sores?

To turn this back on the OP: Why on earth WOULD you wear pants under your bib-shorts? I can;t think of a single reason. :?:
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Definately no underwear...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    liquor box wrote:
    For the fairer sex I use the term "Titanic" because we all know what sinks ships!

:lol: Superb. If you don't mind, I will add that to my vocabulary as of now.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • liquor box wrote:

Hahahaha!

The moment you go knickerless is the moment you've crossed the line from your average every day pootleing cyclist to Saddle W@nker, regardless of whether you do 10 miles a week or 1,000 miles a week regardless what you ride.
    FCN: Brompton: 12, Tourer: 7, Racer: 4

http://www.60milestonod.blogspot.com
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    [quote PS - Why is called going commando is it a well know habit of commando's to be pantless?[/quote]

Comando's wear dark brown make up on their faces for camouflage, it is usually a couple of brown streaks! nuff said? :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • Wearing underwear completely and utterly defeats the object of wearing cycling specific bibs, when somebody told me this for the first time, i thought they were having me on, then i thought about it a little more, and it made complete sense. I don't bother with my thong at all now.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Crescent wrote:
    liquor box wrote:

I don't get this.... :cry::cry:
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Muffintop wrote:
    liquor box wrote:

Hahahaha!

The moment you go knickerless is the moment you've crossed the line from your average every day pootleing cyclist to Saddle W@nker, regardless of whether you do 10 miles a week or 1,000 miles a week regardless what you ride.

What on earth are you talking about ?
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • If you really must wear some form of underpants when cycling (why is beyond my comprehension, you are already in lycra) swim trunks (the budgie smuggler kind) are a good compromise as they are quick drying and stetch slightly so they move around with you ... I use these under my bibs when going to the spin class at the gym ... What is fine in the saddle out on the road isn't quite so descreet whilst hanging around waiting for the spin class to start ...
  • I rode with an unfurnished basement tonight for the first time with my new bib tights, have to say it's a definite improvement in terms of comfort and freedom. One question though - how do you stop your willy turning into a button mushroom?
    It was freezing tonight and I think the little fella got a 'raw' deal tbh...
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    I rode with an unfurnished basement tonight for the first time with my new bib tights, have to say it's a definite improvement in terms of comfort and freedom. One question though - how do you stop your willy turning into a button mushroom?
    It was freezing tonight and I think the little fella got a 'raw' deal tbh...

unfortunately............. you don't
    :(
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • Nik Cube
    Nik Cube Posts: 311
    ok one does not wear anything under cycle shorts nuff said

if for some reason you cant cope with this reality get some padded underwear and wear some non padded shorts over the top but to be honest just man up and get on with it

as to the button mushroom issue --- welcome to the world of a roadie a warm shower will sort matters out :wink:
    Fcn 5
    Cube attempt 2010
  • This is why I would never buy used bibs on Ebay!

MarksMintness - happens to the best of us! In very cold weather (2 degrees and below) I use bib shorts (no undies!) and over bib longs (without a chammy insert). It's always nice and toasty...I wouldn't know whether the little guy's button mushroomed or not, he's flattened to obscurity!
    Never mistake motion for action
    Tweet@gmunrop69
    Trainerroad - GMan69
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    It's always nice and toasty...I wouldn't know whether the little guy's button mushroomed or not, he's flattened to obscurity!

Clearly he is as you obviously can't see him when the leg wear comes off.
  • This is why I would never buy used bibs on Ebay!

MarksMintness - happens to the best of us! In very cold weather (2 degrees and below) I use bib shorts (no undies!) and over bib longs (without a chammy insert). It's always nice and toasty...I wouldn't know whether the little guy's button mushroomed or not, he's flattened to obscurity!

Cheers for the tip - padded shorts inside non-padded bib-tights sounds like an idea I can get on board with!
  • neilo23
    neilo23 Posts: 783
    One question though - how do you stop your willy turning into a button mushroom?

How can I prevent this when I'm not riding my bike?
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    ddraver wrote:
    Ooooooooohhhhhhhhhh!!!!! I see...

that's pretty obscure though!)

Especially as the Titanic was sunk by an iceberg and not in wartime.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    You weren't the only one trying to work out the connection between icebergs and riding without pants!
  • Shamelessly lifted from Wikipedia :wink:

Going commando is the practice of not wearing underwear under one's outer clothing. The term is theorized to be related to the much earlier term "going regimental", which refers to wearing the kilt military style, that is, without underwear. (See True Scotsman.)

In Chile, the act of not wearing underwear has been called "andar a lo gringo" (to go gringo-style) for decades.[1][2]

In Portugal, the expression used is "andar à caçador" (to go hunter-style).[3][4]

Earliest usesThe origins of the phrase are uncertain, with some speculating that it may refer to being "out in the open" or "ready for action". Slate magazine's Daniel Engber dates the modern usage to college campuses circa 1974, where it was perhaps associated with soldiers in the Vietnam War, who were reputed to go without underwear to "increase ventilation and reduce moisture."[5] The earliest known use of the term in print occurred on January 22, 1985 when Jim Spencer wrote in the Chicago Tribune "Furthermore, colored briefs are 'sleazy' and going without underwear ("going commando", as they say on campus) is simply gross." Seinfeld's sixth season episode "The Chinese Woman" was thought to have originated the term in 1994, but this was in error. A 1996 episode of the television sitcom Friends, "The One Where No One's Ready", has been credited with introducing the term "into the popular vernacular".[6]

I do like the term Titanic though :mrgreen: never heard that one b4...

Rich
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    I still don't get the Titanic thing

Is to do with Kate Winslet?

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Kate Winslet can rummage around in my bibshorts if she likes!
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    If we go "button mushroom" what happens the ladies?

Blue lips? :O