Forum home Mountain biking forum MTB workshop & tech

Freewheel Broken after 3 rides!!!!

dave1986dave1986 Posts: 61
edited March 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I just bought a brand new Cube AMS 130 SL (2011) 4 weeks ago and after just 3 rides the freewheel unit is broken!! (When pedaling forwards the rear wheel does not turn, but a clicking noise comes from the rear hub)

The bike has top end components so I'm quite surprised that this has happened so soon! (The bike has the Easton Haven wheel and hub set and a Shimano XT rear casettte. )

I live 300miles from the shop I bought the bike from so popping over to ask them to fix it is not an option. Does anyone know if this set-up has seperate freewheel and hub, or whether it is all one unit? What component will I have to buy to replace the broken one?

Also, will this come under my bike's warrantee since it's only 4 weeks old??

The bike specification is as follows:
• Rims: EASTON HAVEN wheelset
• Front hub: EASTON HAVEN wheelset (15mm)
• Rear hub: EASTON HAVEN wheelset (X12)

• Frame: HPA 7005 Advanced Hydroform ERC Triple Butted, FSP 4-Link-System, X-12
• Fork: Fox 32 Talas RLC FIT 110/130/150mm, Lockout, 15mm axle, tapered
• Rear Shock: Fox Float RP23 BV 200mm length
• Headset: FSA Orbit Z-t
• Stem: Syntace F109 Oversized
• Handlebar: Syntace Vector Carbon Lowrider Oversized
• Grips: CUBE Ultralight Screw-On-Race-Grip
• Rear Derailleur: Shimano Deore XT RD-M773 Shadow 10-speed
• Front Derailleur: Shimano Deore XT FD-M771-10, Down Swing, 34.9mm, 10-speed
• Shifters: Shimano Deore XT SL-M770-10 Rapidfire-Plus, 10-speed
• Brakes: Formula R1 hydr. discbrake (180/180mm)
• Cranks: Shimano Deore XT FC-M770-10 Hollowtech II 42x32x24T, 175mm, Press-Fit BB, 10-speed
• Cassette: Shimano CS-HG81 11-36T, 10-speed
• Chain: Shimano CN-HG74 10-speed, 110 links
• Tires: Schwalbe Nobby Nic Kevlar Triple Compound 2.25
• Spokes: EASTON HAVEN wheelset
• Inner Tube: Schwalbe MTB Impac SV14
• Rim Tape: Schwalbe 20-559
• Pedals: None
• Seat: RFR Natural Shape 0.2 M
• Seatpost: Syntace P6 Carbon 31.6mm
• Seatclamp: Scape Varioclose 34.9mm
• Weight: 11.7 kg



images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRQkG-2yjQ8n0xoa7tUMNmGRIc-ilrdyje_R4TDV0NisiWzxVDP
«1

Posts

  • Andy BAndy B Posts: 8,115
    It should be under warranty

    Speak to the shop you got it from and see what they say
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • dave1986dave1986 Posts: 61
    edited February 2012
    Ok, another update on the situation...

    I removed the rear wheel from the bike to check the freewheel a little closer. Upon inspection the rear casette rotated both directions without engaging with the wheel, but then after a few minutes the ratchet mechanism angaged and it suddenly began to work perfectly again for no apparent reason!? All parts of the hub, casette and wheel mechanism were locked tightly so it's not like anything was loose. It must be an internal intermittant fault?!

    The bike shop (Winstanleys) said that I have to post the bike back to them to be fixed or the part replaced because live in Scotland so its too far to drive. This is very frustrating because now it's working I cannot have the faulty part replaced (because it's currently working) but there is a good chance the problem will occur again half way through a cycle ride!

    Has anyone else experienced this problem before?

    Any help would be much appreciated!
  • supersonicsupersonic Posts: 82,708 Lives Here
    Does it get worse in the cold? Grease could be thickening and causing the pawls to stick.
  • It was in the garage when the problem occured so yes the bike was cold, but i wouldnt say it gets worse or better. The problem was there one second, and gone the next (It fixed itself instantly as I was rotating the casette).

    If it's cold grease causing the problem then what is the solution? Does it mean I can't use the bike in cold weather?
  • supersonicsupersonic Posts: 82,708 Lives Here
    Sometimes with use the grease thins and moves about so it goes away. But hard to say!

    Either way intermittent is still faulty, I'd let Winstanleys know of this.
  • Don't lose track of the fact that it is faulty. Intermittant is faulty. I suggest that you consider rejecting the bike as not fit for purpose and demand a replacement. That is legally permissable.
  • cooldadcooldad Posts: 32,599
    A faulty freewheel, if that's what it is, hardly makes a whole bike 'not fit for purpose'.
    It needs to go back to the dealer it was bought from, unfortunately in this case, the downside of saving money mail order is the hassle of getting things sorted out.
    Might be worth just having a look initially.
    I don't do smileys.

    There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

    London Calling on Facebook

    Parktools
  • chez_m356chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    why do you have to send the whole bike back, surely you should be able to just send the wheel ?
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • supersonicsupersonic Posts: 82,708 Lives Here
    Don't lose track of the fact that it is faulty. Intermittant is faulty. I suggest that you consider rejecting the bike as not fit for purpose and demand a replacement. That is legally permissable.

    I disagree - not with it being faulty, but rejecting the goods after 4 weeks - most places (and courts) will deemed the goods to have been accepted by now, so normal recourse is repair/replacement/partial refund.
  • TjeerdTjeerd Posts: 17
    Don't lose track of the fact that it is faulty. Intermittant is faulty. I suggest that you consider rejecting the bike as not fit for purpose and demand a replacement. That is legally permissable.

    Before you can ask for that, the retailer always has the right to have the goods returned for an inspection. A customer can brake something or damage it for it not to work.
    After inspection the retailer can offer a replacement part/ bike/ repair or maybe a refund.
  • nicklousenicklouse Posts: 50,675 Lives Here
    chez_m356 wrote:
    why do you have to send the whole bike back, surely you should be able to just send the wheel ?
    Because that is what was sold. And will also back up the story. A wheel does not a bike make.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • chez_m356chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    nicklouse wrote:
    chez_m356 wrote:
    why do you have to send the whole bike back, surely you should be able to just send the wheel ?
    Because that is what was sold. And will also back up the story. A wheel does not a bike make.
    fair enough, but i only asked this because i had the same issue recently, and it was only the wheel that was sent back and not the bike
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • Neal_Neal_ Posts: 477
    edited February 2012
    supersonic wrote:
    Does it get worse in the cold? Grease could be thickening and causing the pawls to stick.

    This seems like the most likely scenario and it's appears to be pretty easy to sort out yourself. If your hubs are the same as in the link below go to "Swapping Out the Haven or Havoc Rear Axle" and remove the freehub/cassette body by following the instructions (excluding the axle removal) and clean and regrease the pawls. I'd use Rock n Roll Super Slick grease

    http://www.nsmb.com/4906-first-date-eas ... voc-wheels


    Also freehubs freezing is not uncommon http://www.icebike.org/Equipment/freehub.htm
  • nicklousenicklouse Posts: 50,675 Lives Here
    chez_m356 wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:
    chez_m356 wrote:
    why do you have to send the whole bike back, surely you should be able to just send the wheel ?
    Because that is what was sold. And will also back up the story. A wheel does not a bike make.
    fair enough, but i only asked this because i had the same issue recently, and it was only the wheel that was sent back and not the bike
    it all depends on the people you are dealing with. For example if it is a nown issue then the wheel may do as they will just fix that. but if it is not known then the whole bike may need to be checked for clues and maybe other issues.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Another update on the situation:

    Last night I went to re-fit the wheel onto the bike (since the problem had fixed itself), and within 10 minutes of being back outside in the cold the problem had come back! The problem is certainly due to the cold.

    Winstanleys bike shop have said they can arrange to have the bike picked up to and posted to them so they can take a look at the problem. They said if they percieve the problem is a warrantee issue then I will not be charged. However, if they percieve it is not a warrantee issue I will be charged £30 for the postage!! I am posative that as soon as they recieve the bike into their (warm) workshop the fault will not be apparent, and so I am reluctant to agree to this for fear they will charge me £30postage and not fix the fault!
  • chez_m356chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    dave1986 wrote:
    Another update on the situation:

    Last night I went to re-fit the wheel onto the bike (since the problem had fixed itself), and within 10 minutes of being back outside in the cold the problem had come back! The problem is certainly due to the cold.

    Winstanleys bike shop have said they can arrange to have the bike picked up to and posted to them so they can take a look at the problem. They said if they percieve the problem is a warrantee issue then I will not be charged. However, if they percieve it is not a warrantee issue I will be charged £30 for the postage!! I am posative that as soon as they recieve the bike into their (warm) workshop the fault will not be apparent, and so I am reluctant to agree to this for fear they will charge me £30postage and not fix the fault!
    maybe contact cube directly, explain the fault and the situation with the dealer, and see if they have anything to say about it
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • Andy BAndy B Posts: 8,115
    chez_m356 wrote:
    maybe contact cube directly, explain the fault and the situation with the dealer, and see if they have anything to say about it
    I'm 99.9% sure that Cube will say that the retailer (Winstanley's) is the only company to deal with as the warranty lies with the retailer (Winstanley's)

    No harm in trying though

    Cube have been known to sort warranty issues very quickly when something does go wrong, but in my experience it's always done via the retailer
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • Neal_Neal_ Posts: 477
    When the wheel is cold and has the problem have you removed the freehub to see if the pawls are stuck? It doesn't need any tools as you just remove the QR, pull the drive side end cap off then pull the freehub off the axle. If that's all it is you can clean and relube it to fix the problem and save yourself the hassle of sending the bike back.
  • supersonicsupersonic Posts: 82,708 Lives Here
    I'd have a quick look as above - make sure is no water in there too!
  • dave1986dave1986 Posts: 61
    edited February 2012
    Ok, here's an update on the situation. Winstanley's bikes have taken the bike back and taken the hub/ freewheel apart. Here's what they said:
    "I have now sourced the problem with the freewheel in the rear wheel. The problem is that the spring holding the pawls onto the freehub body has somehow stretched and is no longer holding the pawls into contact with the splines in the hub shell. This has worn the splines and tips of the pawls quite badly already.

    The other problem, is that the grease is quite thick on the pawls and springs which I think doesn’t help with the spring tension, which may explain the problem making itself more apparent when cold when grease can thicken slightly more which would stop the spring returning even more.

    I have emailed Cube directly to see how we need to proceed with obtaining the replacement parts required and I will update you as soon as I have received a reply from them."

    There seem to be alot of bad reviews on the Easton Haven wheel set, all saying the rear hubs are s£?t.

    My question is whether or not I should insist on a completely new wheel (hub,spokes rim etc)?? A friend of mine said that if they only replace the hub and freewheel (but not the spokes & rim) then it will be very difficult to get the spokes tensioned correctly, resulting in the wheel buckling very easily??

    Any other opinions would be greatly appreciated.

    Cheers,
    Dave
  • nicklousenicklouse Posts: 50,675 Lives Here
    There is no issues with reusing spokes as long as the hub dimensions are the same.

    Reusing spokes is often favourable.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • 386ka386ka Posts: 479
    I would guess that they know what they are doing... New spokes may not be needed.
    A much loved, Giant Trance X3 2010
  • Thanks for the fast reply!
  • supersonicsupersonic Posts: 82,708 Lives Here
    You have rights for a quick remedy, so if they cannot source the parts quickly then insist on a refund or replacement.
  • Thanks, what would you count as "quick"?

    I first informed them of the problem on 31st Jan. They arranged for the bike to be picked up from me on Wednesday 15th Feb.

    To be fair to them they seem to be chasing Cube quite quickly now(I hope), but how long should I wait if parts aren't available until I insist on a replacement? I think I'll give them until Monday 27th Feb to sort things out!

    Dave
  • supersonicsupersonic Posts: 82,708 Lives Here
    I'd want the wheels back working in less than two weeks after they got the bike. Who they get the parts off is irrelevant really, be it Cube or Easton, or the importers - they have to sort it in reasonable time.
  • bennett_346bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    I bought a mail order bike once, a specialized, and the freewheel broke after 2 weeks. Took it to a specialized dealership (not the same company i bought the bike from) and they replaced the freehub body for free parts and labour, and all i had to do was mail the dodgy freewheel to the place i bought it from (after the freehub was replaced)..

    Was a smooth process indeed.
  • NorthwindNorthwind Posts: 14,675
    dave1986 wrote:
    The bike has top end components so I'm quite surprised that this has happened so soon! (The bike has the Easton Haven wheel and hub set and a Shimano XT rear casettte. )

    Bit late, but don't worry too much about that- most stuff is most likely to fail when it's very new or very old, initial shakedown throws up manufacturing flaws or assembly issues quickly.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • dave1986 wrote:
    Thanks, what would you count as "quick"?

    I first informed them of the problem on 31st Jan. They arranged for the bike to be picked up from me on Wednesday 15th Feb.

    To be fair to them they seem to be chasing Cube quite quickly now(I hope), but how long should I wait if parts aren't available until I insist on a replacement? I think I'll give them until Monday 27th Feb to sort things out!

    Dave

    winstanleys told me they would have my marin back to me in a week, my forks had a leak, 4 weeks later i got my bike back, it was peak summer and SRAM had then 2 weeks.
  • Please see the latest update from the bike shop below:
    "Cube have now said that the freehub body is the only part that they deem to need replacing. I have replied asking them to confirm that they deem the splines are perfectly fine and that it is just the paint that has come off the splines, and also that the freehub (which includes bearings, pawls and spring) will work perfectly.

    The part number they are replacing is 2016051 – Cassette body M1 – which I believe is lettered ‘I’ on the exploded diagram of the hub.

    Unfortunately, Cube have said they do not have this part, but they have ordered it from the factory and they are going to get back to me with a due date as soon as possible.

    As soon as I have had a reply from Cube regarding the splines and the due date for the freehub body I will update you."

    So they are replacing the freehub body but not the hub with the worn down/damaged splines as shown in the picture and diagram below.... Problem is they do not seem to have found the cause of the problem so what's to say the same problem wont happen again?!? I'll probably not find out until it gets cold enough to reveal the problem though which may be next winter!





    Hub.jpg
Sign In or Register to comment.