Tools for aviation

lugsey2k5
lugsey2k5 Posts: 960
edited February 2012 in The hub
Hello.
Im starting a trainee job in a few weeks working on aircraft and i need some basic tools while im there. I was wondering what are peoples thoughts on different brands of tools?

I will be needing mostly socket sets, screwdrivers, inspection touch and wire locking pliers.
I can also get trade price on halfords tools so was wondering peoples thoughts on there professional range?

Snap on isnt really an option due to ridiculous price but i still need high quality tools that will last.

Any thoughts?
Thanks.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Wait till you get there and see what the deal is.

And yes Snap-On is an option.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • lugsey2k5
    Iv already spoke to the Boss and he said a few tools to get me started ie ones i listed above. He mentioned snap on screwdrivers but there sockets are very expensive.
  • Richie63
    Richie63 Posts: 2,132
    How about a wingnut spanner?
    Torque wrench
    toothbrush for getting bird remains out of the turbine blades
    tyre pressure gauge

Facom will last a while as tools go and I've got the Halfords pro stuff and its lasted the past 10 years for me
    I'm going to blow the bank on a new build ( within reason ) NOW DONE!!
    http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss14 ... 010362.jpg
  • Richie63
    Richie63 Posts: 2,132
    Oh and one of those magnetic telescopic tools for the nut you drop in side and can't reach
    mirror on a stick for finding said nut
    I'm going to blow the bank on a new build ( within reason ) NOW DONE!!
    http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss14 ... 010362.jpg
  • nicklouse
    lugsey2k5 wrote:
    Iv already spoke to the Boss and he said a few tools to get me started ie ones i listed above. He mentioned snap on screwdrivers but there sockets are very expensive.
    So ask him when does the Snap-On van arrive? You pay weekly. And if you are going to be making a living from it.

First thing is a lockable tool box.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    as i have found out on a few occasions you buy cheap you buy twice..
    (and that does'nt include the damage you do to what ever your working on rounded out screw allen bolt nuts ect)
    cheap tools are false economy...

snap on
    teng
    brittool
    bondhus

like mentioned if your going to be earing a living from these tools, you need them to be up to the job.. most of these have life time guarantee/warranty
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    I still have my origional snapon tools that i bought 15+ years ago, all working fine.
    Dont waste your money on cheap halfords tools.
    I still have some of my gradads Britool stuff (all inperial and whitworth) that used to come in handy on some of the older cars i used to work on, but it was 50+ years old, still worked well!
    And as Mr Louse said, lockable toolbox is a must, and only lend tools to people in your sight!
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • lugsey2k5
    Thanks.

Are ratchet spanners worth the extra or just stick with standard for now?

Just making a shopping list of teng tools, the price difference is substantial.
  • nicklouse
    I have many Teng tools. Not all that.

I would get the ratchets from Snap-On and the regular use sockets and spanners. Other tools from where ever.

3/8 and 1/4 drive ratchets from Snap-On. find out what are the regular size sockets and spanners used. (EG for the race cars I had 9/16-1/2-7/16 in Snap-On as sockets and spanners as these would cover over 75% of the jobs.
    Do ypu need standard reach or deep reach sockets? Ask the boos for guidence.

and NO ONE uses 1/2 drive (other than for big stuff)
  • lugsey2k5
    Thanks. I will tr find out what tools are commonly used and price up some snap on stuff.
    Ebay any good for buying snap on?

Iv came up with a quick list on the tang website of tools i think ill need. Can any one see any obvious omissions or things i should change?

Toollist.png
  • nicklouse
    Snap-On is only from the Snap-On Van.

the socket set. is it 1/2 drive? if yes lose it. get a 3/8 drive. Do you need any AF tools? if no then dont buy them.

If you are getting Teng stuff get it in the click boxes as they fit the top boxes/ roll cabs.

img0002df6.jpg
    img0008iz6.jpg
    img0009tg5.jpg
    img0010vq0.jpg

or you end up with something like
    img1218xx2.jpg
  • lugsey2k5
    Thanks.

Im waiting for a reply on a more specific list of tools i need ie AF etc.

Iv made a new list with tools in the trays and the price difference isnt much to be fair.

Includes 1/4 and 3/8 drivers. Need to add on a screwdriver bit set for the speed brace too.

Tengtooltrays.png
  • nicklouse
    the only thing that I dont think you will need is the speed brace.

I would also look at a ratcheting screw driver. they are much beter than normal screw drivers.

like the red handled Snap-On one here.

it is about 20 years old and still works as well as it did as new.

img0003td8.jpg
  • big_p
    big_p Posts: 565
    if your going into aviation engineering you will be buying mostly af tools, i'm a snap on dealer and sell tools to lots of the guys that work at blackpool airport and thats all they ask for.

also, just an observation, i would recomend that you try to get involved in the helicoptor side of the industry, fixed wing is dead, very very rich buisness men use helicoptors to become even richer and dodge tax, they spend what needs spending and keep them like new no matter what the cost. small aircraft are used for fun by people who think they're rich.
  • lugsey2k5
    There Cessna citation aircraft so all private jets.

Being American i suspect it will be all AF stuff but still waiting for a reply about tools from a lad who works there.

With regards to buying snap on if i caught up with the Van that drives round the local industrial estates who i be able to buy tools from him or would i need an account?

Thanks again for all the help guys, Much appreciated.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    If you are in a workshop remember the No1 rule dont touch or borrow anyone elses tools as a crack on the knuckles with an extension bar hurts. If anyone asks to borrow your tools well thats tough they should buy there own.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Only thing that makes me choose Teng over other kit, is the sockets... They've got a grippy textured surface which makes them a lot easier to handle with cold hands or when you're up to your elbows in oil. Doesn't sound much, but compared with a smooth chromed socket, that can be a big deal.

Not convinced modern snap-on is as good as people think... I've got some old kit from them that was my grandad's and it's excellent, but the newer stuff doesn't really stand out as much from the crowd. OTOH the backup is very good.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I'm with Northwind, I am not convinced at all, and the same with many brands. Some of the cheaper stuff (and the same with bike tools) works great, lasts ages. DOn't see any difference with many of my sockets and spanners, and have a accumlated a fair few over the years! Britool, Snap On, Teng, Halfords etc.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    The Halfords Pro stuff is great a lot of mechanics I know are using it now because its half the price of Snap On but is same quality with a lifetime guarantee. I have a set of there 1/4" drive Allen keys that I have been using for about 6 years and the 5 mm looks brand new and thats the one that gets most use.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Currently Snap on is just out of my price range considering i may not even have a job at the end of this and its also crazily priced.
    Going to price up similar kits with all the decent brands and see how much its going to cost etc.
  • Irrespective of the tool stuff - good luck with the job!
  • I use mostly SnapOn/Bluepoint at work as thats the kit we specified and spent £18k on but Halfords Pro at home, both kits have there plus points but all in all I'm happy using either.
    Some of the SnapOn stuff is rarely used but on the odd job that needs it it certainly warrants buying it in the first place.

Where abouts you going to be working matey? I'm in my 22nd year of Aircraft engineering now
    Cheers
    AC
    Carrera Fury for the muddy stuff
    Boardman Road Team for the black stuff
    PDQ for the TT stuff
  • Thanks Allen.

Alphacharlie, im going to be working at Kinch Aviation, Its not so much a job more on the job training to complete my degree and B1 basic training. I need 10 weeks live experience to get my basic training then another year working to get my B1.

Thats why im reluctant to buy snap on as im not guaranteed a job at the end so money is tight.

Halfords didn't have much in the way of AF tools so Teng tools are currently winning.
  • lugsey2k5 wrote:
    Thanks Allen.

Alphacharlie, im going to be working at Kinch Aviation, Its not so much a job more on the job training to complete my degree and B1 basic training. I need 10 weeks live experience to get my basic training then another year working to get my B1.

Thats why im reluctant to buy snap on as im not guaranteed a job at the end so money is tight.

Halfords didn't have much in the way of AF tools so Teng tools are currently winning.

Nice one, I am meant to be doing my B1 and degree through Barry College but have been so busy I have only done a few units in the last 2 years :(
    The MOD tool kits in our hangar have a mix of Draper, King Dick, Stahwille and other stuff in as the MOD buy in bulk at cheap rates, yes they are low quality but for a little use tool then they are ok.
    One thing I can highly recommend is:
    http://www.ezgrip.net/
    A god send for removing worn screws and nuts.
    Good luck
    AC
    PDQ for the TT stuff
  • Luckily my course was just two years studying for the B1 modules but i can imagine it being difficult working and finding the time to revise for the exams.

I have a resit on Aviation Legislation essay to pass and then im done.

What is it you work on?
  • lugsey2k5 wrote:
    Luckily my course was just two years studying for the B1 modules but i can imagine it being difficult working and finding the time to revise for the exams.

I have a resit on Aviation Legislation essay to pass and then im done.

What is it you work on?

Yes everytime I book an exam, work gets busy and I end up with no time :(

I'm not to far from Finningley, Waddington on Sentinel so have a Global Express type course but no B1 licence yet, also worked HS125 and BAe146 down at Northolt.
    Cheers
    AC
    PDQ for the TT stuff
  • In the end bought:
    1x 1/4, 60 point Teng ratchet driver
    1x 3/8, 60 point Teng ratchet driver
    36 Piece Teng AF socket set for 1/4 and 3/8
    8 Piece AF Teng combination spanner set.
    Teng side cutters, combination pliers, eagle beak and long nose pliers
    Teng Wire locking pliers
    Various Teng extension bars
    Teng 6 Piece screw driver set.

Came to £270.
    Any other tools i need when im down there i can borrow and possibly buy depending on what it is etc.
    Thanks for the help guys been a big help.
  • nicklouse
    Have you got a lockable tool box?

Get one.
  • Yes got a tool box and a tool cab, will take one of those depending on which one is easier.
  • Hi,

I work in supplying the aviation MRO industry with industry specified screwdriver tooling and MRO tooling.

My website covers the kind of tooling that I supply and can offer the full range of imperial socketry from industry specified brands such as Apex.

http://www.threadrive.co.uk/mrotools/mro_tooling.asp

I don't have the facility to offer on line purchasing but if required I can advise items via e-mail (all the contact details are on the website). We have 30 years experience in the supply of screwdriver tooling and have recently added the MRO tooling to our range with direct access to the manufacturers.

With many aviation engineers being self employed sourcing these products can often be hard to source with allot of the tooling manufacturers and bigger distributors being based in the USA.

Hope this helps.

Thanks
    :D