Should all Racist, Homophobic or opinionated people.....

Big Hairy Wallapers
Big Hairy Wallapers Posts: 182
edited January 2012 in The bottom bracket
be banned from football stadiums?

I wonder how many premiership players would relish the opportunity of playing infront of 15,000 plastic seats?

???

Comments

• MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    I heard something to do with this on the radio earlier, there could be an awful lot of empty stadiums :lol: :roll:
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    Well we could have empty pitches too if they did proper testing in the FA to find out why Man Utd need this http://www.tinyurl.com/7wbaclf , surely no dodgy medical practices going to be happening there then. :wink:
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    I'm not sure all Racist, Homophobic or even Opinionated people wear the neccessary badge advertising the fact in order to be banned...
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I think it would also rule out 21 out of the 22 who might be running around on the pitch.

Isn't the problem that this is not about football but society? A lot of people are intolerant of others, the BBC would have one believe this is unusual but it isn't.
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    Has this thread got anything to do with this thread perchance: viewtopic.php?f=30005&t=12833283 ie the codoning of vile beliefs in a public place but its ok because its da footy?

Just wondering, like.......
  • MattC59
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    I think it would also rule out 21 out of the 22 who might be running around on the pitch.

Isn't the problem that this is not about football but society? A lot of people are intolerant of others, the BBC would have one believe this is unusual but it isn't.

I think that the issue is with certain sections of society, and not wanting to point at football fans in general, as that would be incorrect, but a lot of people who fall into these sections of society also frequent football matches.
  • I think your thread title is misleading.

Putting racists and homophobes in the same category as people with actual opinions is wrong.
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    Racist and homophobic people are banned from football grounds, if they decide to inflict their narrow minded views on those around them. And lets not make out that it's only football crowds that have bigots amongst them. You will find similar people in all walks of life, rugby, cricket and yes, even cycling.
  • Some people consider a football ground one of the last few remaining places where it is possible to actually air your point of view without considering the limp wristed, do gooders of the PC brigade.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    The sport that more than any other bases itself on tribalism would be hard pushed to specify exactly to what extent it allows its paying customers to enjoy the failings of the opposition before turning full circle and demanding that the police arrest & charge these people, and then bans them from the club's premises for life for over-stepping that mark.

Booing the opposition is a core part of being at a football match. Jeering their failings is another. Picking up on an opponent's limitations or some imagined past misdemeanor is de rigeur - "Did you cry at Wemberleeeee?" jubilantly sung repeatedly at Tommy Johnstone, formerly of Derby when losing the play-off final v Leicester and being shown live on TV in tears on the turf afterwards, and was by then was playing for other local rivals The Villa. If it's not wrong to take the p!ss for that, when does it become wrong? For being a bit porky? A bit ginger? A bit Scottish? Getting closer now aren't we, but not quite over the line yet? Coloured? Bingo. Life ban, appearance before the beak for Crimes Of Racial Hatred.

It'd be useful if the police spend as much time & effort chasing up villains who actually cause distress & damage rather than some meatbrain in a football crowd who gets a bit carried away and oversteps the tribalism bit.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    CiB wrote:
    The sport that more than any other bases itself on tribalism would be hard pushed to specify exactly to what extent it allows its paying customers to enjoy the failings of the opposition before turning full circle and demanding that the police arrest & charge these people, and then bans them from the club's premises for life for over-stepping that mark.

Booing the opposition is a core part of being at a football match. Jeering their failings is another. Picking up on an opponent's limitations or some imagined past misdemeanor is de rigeur - "Did you cry at Wemberleeeee?" jubilantly sung repeatedly at Tommy Johnstone, formerly of Derby when losing the play-off final v Leicester and being shown live on TV in tears on the turf afterwards, and was by then was playing for other local rivals The Villa. If it's not wrong to take the p!ss for that, when does it become wrong? For being a bit porky? A bit ginger? A bit Scottish? Getting closer now aren't we, but not quite over the line yet? Coloured? Bingo. Life ban, appearance before the beak for Crimes Of Racial Hatred.

It'd be useful if the police spend as much time & effort chasing up villains who actually cause distress & damage rather than some meatbrain in a football crowd who gets a bit carried away and oversteps the tribalism bit.

You used to be cool, man. What happened?
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Surely it's possible to be opinionated without being a racist or homophobe.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • Certainly is possible, hence the thread title including the word 'or'.
  • Certainly is possible, hence the thread title including the word 'or'.

Doh! :oops:
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    CiB wrote:

Oh dear oh dear... :roll:
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Oh. My clumsy stab at pointing out that football is entirely based on tribalism seems to have left me open to accusations of being a racist tw@t. It wasn't meant to and I'm not. If you've gleaned that impression from it, apologies from me.

Not an apology actually, but an unreserved withdrawal of my comments and a full and unreserved apology for my clumsy stab at wondering where banter becomes hate-crime.

I'll be off now.
  • Arr that would be a full and unreserved apology for daring to speak your opinion!
    Jumped on by the 'mincing brigade' and fearful of being labelled it's easier to retract the statement.

I guess if you were setting fire to a union jack on the streets of our capital and calling for all ex service men and women that saw active duty in Iraq and Afghanistan to 'rot in hell' you'd be 'expressing your right to free speach'

Stating that I'm more interested in the sport than analysing the comments by one individual to another and somehow I'm wrong for 'free speech'...

Still it's easy to see how far culture has changed in Britain in recent years and I'm confident not everyone would say it's for the better.
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    Obviously having not aquitted themselves well in the Anton Ferdinand / John Terry debate earlier on this forum the O/P is now trying to distort the issue.

Surely the question should be Is it acceptable for Racist , Homophobic views to be publicly voiced at football matches.

Answer No its a Hate Crime.

I wont class opiniated people in this group , it is possible to have opinions without seeking to offend or intimidate anyone else with them.

Its not illegal to hold opinions of a Homophobic or Racist nature ( fortunatley we havent got thought police yet)

But the vocalisation and propergation of these thoughts in a Public environment in order to harrass or intimidate others is quite rightly a crime.

Say all you want about a Nambie Pambie , Politically correct . world gone mad , Footballs a mans game, environment , but there is rightly no public place for the airing of these views, and thats for good reason.

Yes you are entitled to your thoughts, but others are equally at right not to feel intimidated or harrassed by your public expression of them.

In a previous thread, the OP stated that they and a great deal of other people didnt care if John Terry was racist.

Well fortunatley I do and so do a great deal of right thinking people too.
  • Good for you pal, I hope you're chuffed.
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    Some people consider a football ground one of the last few remaining places where it is possible to actually air your point of view without considering the limp wristed, do gooders of the PC brigade.
    can tell you're not limp wristed, probably quiet a strong wrist you've got!
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Football clubs/the FA are running private businesses, and if they say that entry into grounds is conditional on certain behaviour, then that is their right. If bigots don't like that, then they can withdraw their money and go and support another sport.

I don't think the OP's point about playing in front of 15,000 seats is valid - in all my years going to football matches, I've seen very few incidents of racist abuse coming from the fans - maybe 3 or 4 times at most. I think that even the thickest racist has managed to get it into his/her head that you look a bit of a twunt if one minute you're cheering your team's Nigerian centre-forward and the next you're calling an opposition player a black b**tard.
  • 15peter20
    15peter20 Posts: 293
    To sum up this thread and hopefully kill it off quickly:

Man with very small brain posits ignorant theory then causes himself further embarrassment in trying to prop it up with cringeworthy, predictable cries of 'PC!' 'Do Gooders' blah blah blah go and read a few books mate.

Bye.
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    CiB wrote:
    Oh. My clumsy stab at pointing out that football is entirely based on tribalism seems to have left me open to accusations of being a racist tw@t. It wasn't meant to and I'm not. If you've gleaned that impression from it, apologies from me.

Not an apology actually, but an unreserved withdrawal of my comments and a full and unreserved apology for my clumsy stab at wondering where banter becomes hate-crime.

I'll be off now.
    well saved CiB
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • MattC59
    15peter20 wrote:
    To sum up this thread and hopefully kill it off quickly:

Man with very small brain posits ignorant theory then causes himself further embarrassment in trying to prop it up with cringeworthy, predictable cries of 'PC!' 'Do Gooders' blah blah blah go and read a few books mate.

Bye.

Wow, not moaning about t*ts in the post.
    What is the world coming to !!
  • No embarrassment caused.

And yes this thread could use more breasticles!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,384
    CiB wrote:

I'll be off now.

I knew what you meant CiB, I thought it was a point well made!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    CiB wrote:

I'll be off now.

I think there is a valid point in what you said somewhere...the line between banter and not-banter, is pretty hard to pin down.

Adding to the complexity, what it's acceptable to say amongst my mates, is not necessarily suitable to shout out in public, (even in a football match) and what it's acceptable at a football match, may not be in work situations. Furthermore, what is acceptable changes, when my grandparents were young, racism was pretty acceptable, when my parents were growing up homophobia was...

Having said that, generally, once you invoke the colour of someone's skin, or someone's sexual orientation in all probability, you should shut up.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • Arrr so you're a bender as well.
    It all makes sense now!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,542
    Pretty sure no-one gives a sh!t if racists and homophobes go watch football matches. Ideally, not, but no-one really cares.

It's when they open their mouth or make gestures that it's a problem.

It's not difficult not to be racist or homophobic.

If you somehow do find it difficult, then you probably shouldn't go watch a football match in person.
  • Tom Dean
    Tom Dean Posts: 1,723
    Arrr so you're a bender as well.
    It all makes sense now!

lovely