So I've moved to a pannier bag and rack..

2»

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Simple answer is I don't know, the rear tyre sure wears out quicker than the front, but hey, easy, I buy a new front tyre, swap the 1/2 worn front to the rear each time. I would imagine the effect is minimal, after all a backpack will have it's CofG only just in front of the saddle, move that 10Kg (guess) back maybe 45cm isn't a massive effect when the bike weighs circa 10Kg and the rider circa 75Kg....

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    hmmm maybe ive got a slow puncture then. but my rear tyre is definitely softer than it normally is on a wednesday. A LOT softer. however that was good this morning as the roads were grim.

i need to get some stronger wheels as well, cant imagine running a pannier rack and bag on a fulcrum racing 3 is a good idea
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    If you think about it - while you are sitting down the weight is pretty much all on the back wheel even when you put a pack on your back, so moving it to a rack I dont think would make any difference to the rear tyre - unless you load it up with more weight than you would put on your back.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    but when riding rough roads i tend to stand up and put my weight over the middle of the bike rather than over the rear wheel. this would normally involve the backpack as well. Whereas now the weight that would normally be on my back is still on the rear wheel.

then we get onto the fact that an empty bag is lighter than an empty pannier bag with a rack.
  • Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    apreading wrote:
    - unless you load it up with more weight than you would put on your back.
    Which you do. You tend to just let stuff linger in there that you don't need but can't be bothered to sort.
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    I prefer pannier but haven't used one for a while - had a seatpost based one for a while but it eventually suffered a fatigue failure.
    I also like to be able to 'unweight' my bike when I go over speed bumps of which there are a lot on my commute. A pannier doesn't allow this & so I worry about the stress to the frame (as said I've already broken a seatpost one through fatigue.)
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • The first few weeks I was commuting in I used a Chrome Citizen messenger bag (cos that's like, so kewl) but to be honest the whole sweaty-back thing was getting me down.

I fitted a rear rack and have a Carradice pannier bag - http://www.carradice.co.uk/products/range/a4-pannier - hanging off it.

I agree that the weight distribution thing is a little odd at first (I have the bag on the other side from my chain, so facing the pavement), but I'm so much more comfortable :D
  • I once cycled the Transpennine Trail on my MTB (the avatar is me at the end of the ride on Hornsea beach) and I had to ride up the 1 in 4 offroad pass over the Woodhead tunnels. I had to get off and push as the angle of ascent and the weight in the panniers (about 27kg all up with tent/cooker/etc) kept lifting the front wheel off the ground, even when I stood and leant forwards...

I now have the same rack on my commuter and when i do use a pannier (only ever use the one now) I always put it on the drive side so that the light on it is on that side.
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    sfichele wrote:
    @apreading. One factor is cost I guess. If I was riding much longer distances on the commute I'd consider panniers but for a 15 min ride each way, for me its not worth it when I have a really good rucksack that does me for all sorts of purposes.

I also don't ride to directly to work, I ride to the train-station, get on a train and then walk to work at the other end. What are panniers like for taking off the bike and then walking with? Do they come off easily, or do you have to take everything out and put it into a rucksack?

My (expensive Vaude aqua pro) panniers take literally 5-seconds to put on, and about 2-to remove. Comparing to the Ortleib rough equivalents, I think they have a slight edge as almost all the back is rigid, whilst a colleague's Ortleib isn't quite so rigid.

My office is about 300yds away from the bike shed - our site is fairly largs, so I walk just under half a mile with the (single) pannier every day. It's not the most comfortable, but easily doable for me.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    My Altura ones take 0.2 seconds to put on and 0.3 seconds to take off - even better...!

Have a great carrying handle and a shoulder strap. The only issue with carrying them is that the clip sticks out one side and you wouldnt want that rubbing against you if you had it on your shoulder - no problem just carry the bag with these facing out. The ultimate would be if you could have it convert into a backback when removed but I have yet to find such a thing.
  • apreading wrote:
    My Altura ones take 0.2 seconds to put on and 0.3 seconds to take off - even better...!

Have a great carrying handle and a shoulder strap. The only issue with carrying them is that the clip sticks out one side and you wouldnt want that rubbing against you if you had it on your shoulder - no problem just carry the bag with these facing out. The ultimate would be if you could have it convert into a backback when removed but I have yet to find such a thing.

I have no experience of these, I just remembered seeing them during a browsing session earlier in the week:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/vaude/cycle-25-convertible-backpack-pannier-ec021733
    Quintana Roo Kilo ~ Genesis Equilibrium ~ Focus Mares ~ Trek EX7
  • hfidgen
    hfidgen Posts: 340
    Literally just moved to panniers too! Have to agree it's SO NICE to not have a sweaty back, and feel "light" on the bike. The only issue is that having 10+KG more weight right on my back wheel appears to have slowed me down by at least 3-4mph. That's my excuse at least and i'm sticking to it... :D

In the summer it's going to be bliss, though if i've got a light load I might still consider a small backpack.
    FCN 4 - BMC CX02
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Big seatpacks ftw!

Tried a pannier for a bit but it was a bodge as my bike didn't have the correct mounts so didn't feel right. Really dislike backpacks give me a right back aches courier bags are ok, as long as you get them done up right
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    apreading wrote:

Ortleib do one (I've seen adverts)