So I've moved to a pannier bag and rack..

spasypaddy
spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
edited February 2012 in Commuting chat
... from a backpack.

I previously had an 18l waterproof backpack with sealed zips and stuff. the zips gave up the ghost, someone donated me a rack so i decided to try out this idea of using a pannier bag.

WOW!

Its awesome.

Not having something on my back is brilliant!

However i just have to get used to riding out of the saddle now with extra weight on one side. Wasn't too bad this morning but in a race with a guy (first cyclist ive seen on my route in 8 weeks) up a hill it was weird having the back end oddly weighted to one side.

Anyone else made the switch and love it? Is it truly the way forward? What do i do when i need to take my CX bike and have no backpack...

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    spasypaddy wrote:
    What do i do when i need to take my CX bike and have no backpack...

Switch around a bit and get used to both - eg take the rucksack when you have a light load and use the panniers for heavier loads. I use both but mainly the rucksack; otherwise I'd not be able to commute on the Ribble!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • spasypaddy
    i dont have a backpack at all. the zips died on me.

i will end up buying a cheap backpack but i dont see why i would any time soon its not icy/snowy out and thats the only reason to take the CX (It has studded tyres on it).

I'll need to get a lightweight bag for the summer though when i need to use my Look for the commute as i have races to get to straight from work.

Money is a bit tight this month as my cheaper speedplays also died last week so ive had to replace them...
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    I have a rack and panniers but tend not to use them unless I have a heavier load. If Im just carrying in pants, socks and a shirt then I use a rucksack.

This on the Hewitt spasypaddy?
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    I swithced years ago, and would never put something on my back again. Dont even notice the weight when under way, even when packed fully. Notice it when stationary as the bike can easily topple when its heavy, but not on the move. I did feel it when I had both panniers packed for a 3 day ride with locks for 2 bikes etc.

Hated backpack, always sweating down my back.

So much more freedom to move around and more airy when using panniers - just wait till the summer when all you need to wear is a light top - its even nicer then not having to wear a pack.

I have even taken my pannier round trail centres and lots of cross country routes...
  • spasypaddy
    This on the Hewitt spasypaddy?
    yep, unfortunately one slider from the rack to the frame doesnt fit due to the rear brake whoops.

i have to say AP i completely agree. although it does make carrying the bike in and out of my office/flat a bit harder as both are on the first floor.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I made the change at the begining of the year. The riding technique with the weight on one side took a day to get used to, I have to keep my weight central when accelerating and can't swing the bike side-side like I did when I had the bag on my back. The only downside is that I'm more vulnerable to snakebite punctures on the last 200yds of the commute to work, the upside is no sweaty back.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    Switched over 18 months ago from backpack to Carradice saddlebag, which died after a year's usage.

Now using a rear rack with front panniers that sit up high and are small enough that that they don't seem to add drag.
  • welkman
    welkman Posts: 396
    I have a rack and also use front panniers on a day to day basis, I have the ortlieb ones which are great. I also have a front rack for touring and a set of extra large lidl panniers as spares. I have transported loads on the bike in the last two months including a laser printer which got some funny looks!
  • ads2k
    ads2k Posts: 135
    I balance mine out with my lock on the other side :D

Won't take you long to get used to it.
  • I have had paniers for years, my present commute bike I have cheap laptop bags since it stops the bags flopping about, I keep one bag with lock and a few tools and the other I carry stuff, though over spill to the other if need be, most of the time don't notice them at all.
  • tiny_pens
    tiny_pens Posts: 293
    Tried it. Didn't like it. Use a waist bag now as its the best compromise for me (no sweaty back and no difference to the way the bike feels). Now its cold I occasionally use a back pack in the coldest weather as it helps keep me warm.

A friend did recommend using front panniers as he said it affected the handling less noticably.
  • jamin100
    jamin100 Posts: 72
    edited January 2012
    Ive just ordered my first set :)
    Ive decided to go for the Topeak MTX trunk bag DXP which has panniers that are folded away but can be deployed if needed.

I only really use mine to commute to work and back so am hoping that everything will fit in the trunk part of the bag rather than the actual sides. I guess ill see later on in the week
  • Have used a rack for years, can't imagine using a pack for commuting, especially with the weight I carry. I use Ortlieb front rollers..but on the rear...perfect for what I carrry.
  • jamin100 wrote:
    Ive just ordered my first set :)
    Ive decided to go for the Topeak MTX trunk bag DXP which has panniers that are folded away but can be deployed if needed.

I only really use mine to commute to work and back so am hoping that everything will fit in the trunk part of the bag rather than the actual sides. I guess ill see later on in the week

It will take a couple of rides to get used to the heavy bike thing but you won't regret it. I've had the same rack/bag as that for 18 months now on my commuting bike. I used to sweat badly even with a mesh "standoff" rucksack, but not now. Here's a tip - Divide your spare tubes and other emergency bits in two and put them in the bottom of the panniers, now roll the panniers up and zip em closed. That leaves your centre bag empty for your normal stuff (and it takes quite a bit, especially with the extending top) and just use the panniers when you really need lots of stuff.
    Quintana Roo Kilo ~ Genesis Equilibrium ~ Focus Mares ~ Trek EX7
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    Panniers are great for long tours, but I can't really see the point for everyday commuting.
    I use a small Deuter EXP Air 12L and it's perfect.
    exercise.png

• It will take a couple of rides to get used to the heavy bike thing but you won't regret it. I've had the same rack/bag as that for 18 months now on my commuting bike. I used to sweat badly even with a mesh "standoff" rucksack, but not now. Here's a tip - Divide your spare tubes and other emergency bits in two and put them in the bottom of the panniers, now roll the panniers up and zip em closed. That leaves your centre bag empty for your normal stuff (and it takes quite a bit, especially with the extending top) and just use the panniers when you really need lots of stuff.

Thanks for that, Im really looking forward to getting my rucksack off my back, as even in this cold weather i still get a very wet sweaty back.

Hopefully the trunk can carry everything i need
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I've run a rack and pannier for a while....its a cheap triple bag, laptop bag goes in teh top, lunchbox one side, tools and waterproof in a drawstring bag on the other.

Yes you have to keep the bike straighter when out the saddle or you're fighting the momentum all the time, but personally I think it trains a better technique, certainly when I'm out with the club on the MTB people say how much smoother I look when climbing out the saddle compared to some others who are throwing it around like a TdF sprinter in the last 30 yards!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I switched too for the winter since had more 'stuff' to take to work to change into. Try as I might, I couldn't get knee length boots into my backpack.

I like it for the most part but it really does slow me down. It's added a few minutes to the commute for sure - especially on the way home with the headwind. I don't notice it that much while I'm riding - just when I check my watch at the end of the trip. On the other hand, it makes the days where I take the road bike out with the backpack feel like I'm flying.
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    spasypaddy wrote:
    i dont have a backpack at all. the zips died on me.

i will end up buying a cheap backpack but i dont see why i would any time soon its not icy/snowy out and thats the only reason to take the CX (It has studded tyres on it).

I'll need to get a lightweight bag for the summer though when i need to use my Look for the commute as i have races to get to straight from work.

Money is a bit tight this month as my cheaper speedplays also died last week so ive had to replace them...

I use panniers 95% of the time because I dislike sweaty backs.

Howeever I do have several backpacks for walking, and they have their place.

I can recommend an Alpkit Gourdon 20 it is pretty light, is 100% waterproof (drybag locking system) and costs £22.50 including postage. I've used Alpkit three times, and each time the goods arrived with the next post. I mainly use it for hillwalking.

It is pretty minimalist, the back padding is removable and doubles as a sit mat, and apparently you can use a hydration bladder in there (outside the main pack so the kit stays dry).

It's my favourite backpack. And there are no zips to fail.

My panniers are Vaude Aqua Pros, I use only one of the pair for everyday commuting, and so far has done about 15,000 miles, so too soon to say how long it will last.
  • sfichele
    sfichele Posts: 605
    I've never used panniers as my commute isn't that long. But I can highly recommend this rucksack,
    deuters futura, if anybody is interested. It's absolutely fantastic and it hardly feels like its on your back even when fully loaded. Its expensive but can't recommend it enough. In the summer its much more comfortable than my old one, and it doesn't get as sweaty!
  • spasypaddy
    those bags look good but its too big im thinking of picking up a 10l backpack so that i can use it for running as well.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    I have to say, I really dont get why anyone would use a backpack when they can get the bike to carry the weight and save their spine and shoulders from all that stress as well as avoid the sweating. Imagine if we all drove round in our cars with our luggage on our laps - why would you when there is a perfectly good boot on the car you can put it in and leave yourself free from it?
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I'm another waist-bag user but I don't need to carry much - it'll take a shirt and underwear along with wallet, 2x phones, tools, tubes, work pass, Featherlight jacket etc It sits on your hips so no sweaty back - in fact I'm entirely unaware of it when riding - and it doesn't matter which bike I'm on. I'd hate a rucksack - used to use one commuting in Cambridge - horrible!
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • sfichele
    @apreading. One factor is cost I guess. If I was riding much longer distances on the commute I'd consider panniers but for a 15 min ride each way, for me its not worth it when I have a really good rucksack that does me for all sorts of purposes.

I also don't ride to directly to work, I ride to the train-station, get on a train and then walk to work at the other end. What are panniers like for taking off the bike and then walking with? Do they come off easily, or do you have to take everything out and put it into a rucksack?
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    sfichele wrote:
    @apreading. One factor is cost I guess. If I was riding much longer distances on the commute I'd consider panniers but for a 15 min ride each way, for me its not worth it when I have a really good rucksack that does me for all sorts of purposes.

I also don't ride to directly to work, I ride to the train-station, get on a train and then walk to work at the other end. What are panniers like for taking off the bike and then walking with? Do they come off easily, or do you have to take everything out and put it into a rucksack?

From the sounds of it, you don't need panniers.

You need a Brompton :wink:
  • chilling
    chilling Posts: 267
    You could always use a top bag for those days you don't have lots to carry. I've got a carradice one which holds plenty and keeps the load central on the bike. It's attached by 4 velcro straps so takes seconds put on and get off the rack.

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/carradice-carradura-rack-top-bag-prod603/
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    If you need to carry even less, I've moved away from panniers to a large saddle bag.

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/ortlieb- ... 44981.html
  • sfichele
    iPete wrote:
    You need a Brompton

Not when I've got 150 m worth of climbing to do back home with a stretch at 15 %.
  • Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    I went from backpack to panniers and back again. It does help keep you warm in these sub-zero days. I'll probably switch back when it warms up again.
  • spasypaddy
    Question for the more experienced rack and pannier riders.

do rear tyres go down quicker due to the weight being on the wheel the whole time?