Things that bug me

Comments

• mitb
    mitb Posts: 78
    Ugghh...can't argue with that one! But it's an absent minded, should strictly be working not typing this mindslip typo- I don't actually believe that wander and wonder are the same and that is the difference!
    Can I add Dhope and his ridiculously quick proofreading ability to the list...?
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    "okay" bugs me. I feel that it should be "OK".

okay-face.jpg
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    daviesee wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    [
    t4tomo wrote:
    Americans - yes all of them.

Have you actually met any? Almost all of them that I've met have been really nice and friendly. I have mostly been to the nicer parts though (Colorado, Oregon, Washington State etc) but it really strikes me every time I go how nice they are. Of course, politically they are terrible but individually its a different story. I wish Brits were more like them in many ways.

Good point. They seem to export their worst ones. Much like the French and their wine. :wink:

I have found them to be wonderful hosts on their own turf.
    Thick as mince on foreign topics mind........

I was in Miami chatting to a friend of a friend who is a customs officer and gun nut. He was convinced that the only reason that Hugo Chavez wouldn't invade America is because the citizens own so many guns. Not the Coast Guard, not the Navy, not the Army, not the seven countries between Venezuela and America but the fact that the citizens have so many guns.
    He seemed like a reasonably intelligent bloke up to that point, but then he proved he was American.

A friend and his wife went to America for the first time just before Xmas and just hated the people. They said the Yanks were overly nice and saccharine when they wanted a tip (hotel staff, waitressess etc) and just downright rude if they didn't (just about everyone else). I think they only really saw the service industry side of America, not the general public, so its easy to come away with that opinion.

Like Davisee said though, they are shocking on things happening outside of their borders. I agree with the saying that America goes to war to teach their citizens geography.

Yanks know American geography better than we know European (or even British in some instances) geography, and it's similar in size (well, in terms of human popualtion)

Maybe they do, but Europeans know world geography a bit, European geography quite well and a smattering of US geography. Yanks only know Yankland and where the Yanks have fought a war.

No doubt everyone'll have seen the still of the CNN report indicating that London has now a bit further north than where we at least think it is.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Things that Bug Me:

Folk in a big queue for coffee/train/shop who get to the front, order, THEN, and only then start hunting for money/card/loyalty card. Jeeesus, get it out and ready!

Like the above, but they then slowly, ever so slowly put the cash on the counter usually in low denomination coins, counting it sllloooowly.

Folk who *need* to park next to the supermarket door, often in disabled/kiddies on board bays. Why?

Folk who put their bags on the seat of a train that will be packed. Did your handbag/manbag buy a ticket? No well GITF!
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    "okay" bugs me. I feel that it should be "OK".

Oll Korrekt
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • Topaxci
    Topaxci Posts: 106
    "Okey Dokey"

Yes really, a favourite phrase of my boss's. Eight times within the space of a minute on the same phone call. Just sat grinding my teeth. Not really something you can raise as an issue but still bugs the hell out of me.

Beyond that:
    Blue Sky Thinking ???
    "At the end of the day"
    "We are where we are" - Really? I really wouldn't have thought that.

That will do for today.
  • Wallace1492
    Topaxci wrote:
    "Okey Dokey"

Yes really, a favourite phrase of my boss's. Eight times within the space of a minute on the same phone call. Just sat grinding my teeth. Not really something you can raise as an issue but still bugs the hell out of me.

Beyond that:
    Blue Sky Thinking ???
    "At the end of the day"

That will do for today.
    I quite like At The End Of The Day. However, i hate We Are Where We Are, as it is usually uttered by the people that were complicit in getting us "Where We Are" i.e. in a Bad Place.

"Its Not Rocket Science", now I like this.... it makes me chuckle when folk say it as I bought a pencil at Kennedy Space Centre that said on it "Sometimes it IS Rocket Science"

(makes me laugh them selling pencils there, as they spend millions of $$ developing a pen that could right in zero G. The Russian solution? Their Comonauts took pencils!)
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Sellotape that tears into thin strips when you try to peel it. :x
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Topaxci wrote:
    "Okey Dokey"

Beyond that:
    Blue Sky Thinking ???
    "At the end of the day"

That will do for today.
    I quite like At The End Of The Day. However, i hate We Are Where We Are, as it is usually uttered by the people that were complicit in getting us "Where We Are" i.e. in a Bad Place.

"Its Not Rocket Science", now I like this.... it makes me chuckle when folk say it as I bought a pencil at Kennedy Space Centre that said on it "Sometimes it IS Rocket Science"

(makes me laugh them selling pencils there, as they spend millions of $$ developing a pen that could right in zero G. The Russian solution? Their Comonauts took pencils!)
    Apparently not true. The shavings of graphite could have got into circuitry and caused a short circuit. Can't remember where I heard that. Probably QI.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Wallace1492
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Topaxci wrote:
    "Okey Dokey"

Beyond that:
    Blue Sky Thinking ???
    "At the end of the day"

That will do for today.

Apparently not true. The shavings of graphite could have got into circuitry and caused a short circuit. Can't remember where I heard that. Probably QI.

Yes, urban myth http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=fact-or-fiction-nasa-spen Both used pencils before 1967!
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    People who say ''there we are then'' use to bug me - until I realised it was a set of initials, now can't say it enough to some people! :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • One that really irritates me are the automated station announcer phrases.

At most stations, if a train is going to speed through, they will announce something along the lines of 'Stand back from the edge of platform x. The approaching train isn't scheduled to stop at this station.' That's fine; it's accurate even should the signal change and it does stop.

At Denmark Hill, they announce 'Stand back from the edge of platform x. The approaching train is not for customer use.' And then the train whizzes through with lots of customers (admittedly from other stations) sitting on it. Really, really bugs me - it's yet another reason why I prefer cycling to work.
  • EKE_38BPM
    It seems that recently First Capital Connect have decided that only folded folding bikes are allowed on the train between Finsbury Park and Moorgate. This never used to be the case.
    The order of the stations on that section of line are:
    Overground section
    Finsbury Park
    Drayton Park
    Underground section
    Highbury & Islington
    Essex Road
    Old Street
    Moorgate

I understand and accept that bikes are not allowed on trains when the train goes underground, but I use Drayton Park station and it is one of the outdoor, overground stations and the train doesn't go through any tunnels between Finsbury Park and Drayton Park so why the change? I've never been pulled up about having my bike on the train, but I'm sure its just a matter of time.

That bugs me.

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,996
    Carol Kirkwood.

It's cold, Carol, not a wee bit chilly. And I'm an adult. I can decide what to wear outdoors all by myself.
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Ah, trains.

The verbosity and the volume of the announcements. Omit unnecessary words (about 70%, by my reckoning), and have more speakers at a much, much lower individual volume. Train companies: sociopaths, the bally lot of them.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    I quite like At The End Of The Day.
    Wrong! See my earlier post. We are where we are because I associate that particular phrase with someone that irritates me deeply.
  • davis wrote:
    Ah, trains.

The verbosity and the volume of the announcements. Omit unnecessary words (about 70%, by my reckoning), and have more speakers at a much, much lower individual volume. Train companies: sociopaths, the bally lot of them.

''We are sorry for the late arrival of your train. This is due to the late arrival of the previous train.'' So you're running late because you're running late?
  • It's "home in" not "hone in". That woud be a mistake on your behalf, no you illiterate cnut, it would be a mistake "on your part".
    ad infinifuckingnitum (just felt like writing that bit, no real reason).
    "Consider the grebe..."
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    davis wrote:
    Ah, trains.

There are many many many things worse about trains than that.

Alas, they don't bug me, so much as enrage me.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    It's "home in" not "hone in". That woud be a mistake on your behalf, no you illiterate cnut, it would be a mistake "on your part".
    ad infinifuckingnitum (just felt like writing that bit, no real reason).

but that may depend on whether they were honing or home in :wink:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honing_(metalworking)

Just sayin' - bet that bugs some people too! :wink:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    davis wrote:
    Ah, trains.

There are many many many things worse about trains than that.

Alas, they don't bug me, so much as enrage me.

Namely, the other passengers.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    PMSL. It should be PML, shirley?
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • EKE_38BPM
    Pre Menstural Laughing? That would never happen!

• rick_chasey
    2 things.

#1 - When I say I'm from Cambridge, I mean THE TOWN not the university.

I would say "I'm from Cambridge University" otherwise.

That bugs me.

#2 - People who say they are from Cambridge. I then ask "oh cool, where abouts?" and I get a response like "yeah, Peterborough" (it's almost an hour travel away) or "Wisbeach" < even further. They then are surprised when I say I'm actually FROM THE TOWN. Tossers.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    People who stare. WHAT THE F*CK ARE YOU LOOKING AT

People who stand at the exit of an escalator or stairs. MOVE! FOR F*CK SAKE.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Sounds like someone wussed out and used PT this morning...
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    2 things.

That bugs me.

#2 - People who say they are from Cambridge. I then ask "oh cool, where abouts?" and I get a response like "yeah, Peterborough" (it's almost an hour travel away) or "Wisbeach" < even further. They then are surprised when I say I'm actually FROM THE TOWN. Tossers.
    +1
    I wish people would just say 'Outside London' rather than arse around with the insignificant details
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • DonDaddyD
    notsoblue wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Sounds like someone wussed out and used PT this morning...
    Er no, I cycling 10miles to Liverpool Street and then train-ing it to Ilford (my actual stop is a bit after). I do the same back. I did ride the full 20mile journey from work to home last week. The level of traffic and its collective frustration left me with no doubt that I will not be riding past Stratford during the Olympics (if I can help it).
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • DonDaddyD
    People who live in London (Croydon included) who refer to the centre of London i.e. Oxford Circus, City et al as "Town".

I.e.

"I'm going into Town."

You are in the f*cking "town" already, Raynes Park/Clapham/Wandsworth isn't some f*cking rural village!
    Food Chain number = 4

• rick_chasey
    dhope wrote:
    2 things.

That bugs me.

+1
    I wish people would just say 'Outside London' rather than ars* around with the insignificant details

It's not that so much.

It's just they're nowhere near Cambridge.

I get that there's not much around, and that Peterborough, or Wisbeach, or any other inbred Fendland hole like Chatteris is not desirable, but they're not Cambridge. Cambridge is tiny! It takes me 15 minutes to cycle from one side of town through the centre to the other side. Being a 50 minute train ride away doesn't mean you live there.