edited January 2012 in Commuting chat
Haggis anyone?

Haggis.jpg

mmmmmm
Keeping it classy since '83

Comments

• Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Ever tried Veggie Haggis (yes I know - scream ARGH! Blasphemy and all that) it's actually very very nice
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    Ever tried Veggie Haggis (yes I know - scream ARGH! Blasphemy and all that) it's actually very very nice

+1 had some last night
  • Paulie W wrote:

+1 had some last night

+1, so long as it's MacSweens. I love real haggis, too - our local butcher was the Scottish Haggis Champion a few years back, the haggis you buy there is beyond comparison.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Burns Night? Isn't that something the Scots trouble themselves with? With any luck we'll only have to bother with a handful more before they cut themselves adrift for a couple of generations.

Happy St George's Day all.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    CiB wrote:
    Burns Night? Isn't that something the Scots trouble themselves with? With any luck we'll only have to bother with a handful more before they cut themselves adrift for a couple of generations.

Bit early with that, no?
    How do you celebrate St. Georges day anyway? (That is actually a serious query, I am curious).

And, hasn't it effectively been banned? No public display of crosses etc :twisted:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    5163421c.jpg

I love haggis, I could eat it every day!
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • I shall kilting it up for a ceilidh on sat night hammersmith town hall.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,363
    daviesee wrote:
    How do you celebrate St. Georges day anyway? (That is actually a serious query, I am curious).

And, hasn't it effectively been banned? No public display of crosses etc :twisted:

The nearest pub to my gaff has a St Georges beer festival. They usually have morris dancers and other events going on. Happily it's near my birthday so I go and sample various silly ales for my birthday.
    Bloody marvellous.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Good to hear!

There should be more frivolity. Life is getting too damned serious!
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • I usually buy donuts for the office on St. George's day, that's about the most I've ever heard of anyone celebrating.

As for Morris dancers... Do you not have the overwhelming urge to take their sticks off them and beat them to death with it?
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,363
    I usually buy donuts for the office on St. George's day, that's about the most I've ever heard of anyone celebrating.

As for Morris dancers... Do you not have the overwhelming urge to take their sticks off them and beat them to death with it?

Depends on the ale. No, not really. It's just a load of bearded men finding an unecessary excuse to go out and drink beer.
    I did get confused last year as I was sat in the front room and every now and then I would hear bells. After a little while I twigged that every time I heard the bells men in white shirts were walking past. Ah! realisation dawns, it's the morris dancers walking to the pub.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Not scottish but I love whisky and haggis so some neeps and tatties tonight will be consumed as well

the veggie one is pretty good too
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Two things I heard today.

1) You can eat a haggis or kick it. If you eat it you'll wish you'd kicked it.
    2) You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, but you can make a haggis.

Had it a coupla times - not objectionable, but not making it onto my nom list.

Happy Burn's night all! Even if no haggis I'm sure I'll raise a wee nippy sweetie in honour :-D
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Veggie "Haggis" makes as much sense as alcohol-free whisky (ie none) - what's the point?

Burns Night seems to go by very quietly up here - last time I asked, Burns was dismissed as a "Lowland poet"
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • asprilla
    daviesee wrote:
    CiB wrote:

Bit early with that, no?

Traditionally we celebrate by subjugating someone and that is frowned upon. The Health and Safety Executive pretty much made it impractical.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    I've just haggis neeps and tatties in the staff canteen.

St Georges Day?

I put on a fancy dress knights outfit and get p1ssed on stella in Yates. Doesn't everyone?
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    No haggis for me tonight, tis the only night I don't have it! ;)

Talking of Burns, he does have some fantastic poems. My personal favourite is called "C0ck up yer Beaver" about a gentleman ensuring his bearskin hat is at a jaunty angle..... allegedly!
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • asprilla
    I've just haggis neeps and tatties in the staff canteen.

St Georges Day?

I put on a fancy dress knights outfit and get p1ssed on stella in Yates. Doesn't everyone?

Surely you mean The Noble Vine on the high street?
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    When we first moved to WOT we had a 'date night' out in town - and ended up there. I handed in a mixtape from my DJ years... I play there on Saturdays now. Hardstyle, hardcore, hard house, hard techno, hardbeats, hard-crunck and hard-grime. All played at 130db to an old bloke reading the Racing Post.
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    Paulie W wrote:

+1 had some last night

+1, so long as it's MacSweens. I love real haggis, too - our local butcher was the Scottish Haggis Champion a few years back, the haggis you buy there is beyond comparison.

If its beyond comparison, then how did he win the title unless he was the only enterant :oops: :twisted:
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • meanredspider
    Seriously, though - what IS veggie Haggis? And how do you know whether you like veggie haggis or just the one(s) you've tasted because, in reality, it's just some vegetable concoction in the shape of a haggis, isn't it? There's no "rules" for what should go into a veggie haggis so I'm assuming one might be based upon nuts, another on soya, and a third on neeps & tatties. At least with a real haggis you know it's sheep. I'm not anti-veggie, per se, but I do find veggie imitations of meat bewildering
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Kieran_Burns
    Seriously, though - what IS veggie Haggis? And how do you know whether you like veggie haggis or just the one(s) you've tasted because, in reality, it's just some vegetable concoction in the shape of a haggis, isn't it? There's no "rules" for what should go into a veggie haggis so I'm assuming one might be based upon nuts, another on soya, and a third on neeps & tatties. At least with a real haggis you know it's sheep. I'm not anti-veggie, per se, but I do find veggie imitations of meat bewildering

...sigh...

http://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk/cgi-loc ... _454g.html

The first commercial veggie haggis was created by John Macsween as a tribute to Scottish poetry! With its unique combination of black kidney beans, lentils, vegetables, oatmeal, herbs and spices, this mainstay of the Macsween range is enjoyed by vegetarians, vegans and carnivores alike. As per its traditional cousin, this fabulously flexible dish is very easy to cook. Sheer beany brilliance.

From: http://www.macsween.co.uk/our-products/ ... an-haggis/
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Went to a party last Sat in his honor, not that i'm in anyway associated with Scotland but i do love a good piss up and the haggis is always a welcome bonus.

yummy
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • meanredspider

...sigh...

http://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk/cgi-loc ... _454g.html

The first commercial veggie haggis was created by John Macsween as a tribute to Scottish poetry! With its unique combination of black kidney beans, lentils, vegetables, oatmeal, herbs and spices, this mainstay of the Macsween range is enjoyed by vegetarians, vegans and carnivores alike. As per its traditional cousin, this fabulously flexible dish is very easy to cook. Sheer beany brilliance.

From: http://www.macsween.co.uk/our-products/ ... an-haggis/

You missed the point. The veggie haggis owes almost nothing to the real haggis except, mebbe, for the oats. Oh, and its shape. It might as well be the recipe for veggie stuffing, veggie sausages, veggie cutlets....
  • I've just haggis neeps and tatties in the staff canteen.

St Georges Day?

No, most people I know might sup a couple of pints of German lager then go for a Curry - can't get much more English than that.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • itboffin
    Much like veggie sausages WTF point! veggies are nice on there own either eat them for what they are or MTFU and get some meat down ya!

Jeez :lol:
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Kieran_Burns
    I didn't miss the point at all... I'm afraid you have.

The vegetarian alternatives are to encourage non-vegetarians to try alternatives to the usual fare - this is why they 'impersonate' more traditional dishes.

It has nothing to do with veggies wanting to be like everyone else - it's an attempt to get some more hide-bound individuals to open their minds a little.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Anyway, why does Kieran need a night in his honour in the first place? Self important or what.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • itboffin
    sssh quiet now ....why don't you have a little lay down you must be feeling tired and weak from the lack of BLOOD in your diet :twisted:
  • Kieran_Burns
    SimonAH wrote:
    Anyway, why does Kieran need a night in his honour in the first place? Self important or what.

'cos I'm great.

People need to be reminded once in a while.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X