How long would it take you to ride this route???

HueyTheBull
HueyTheBull Posts: 31
edited February 2012 in Road beginners
Firstly, I'm a keen mountain biker who has just bought my first road bike and the route below is a little "starter" course where I'm hoping to improve my times. So far I have ridden it twice, both times in 68 minutes, so the first aim is to get this sub 1 hour. On neither occasion was I "gunning" it so hoping the 1 hour mark shouldn't be too difficult (he says!!)

Anyway, it got me thinking about what time this could be ridden in and who better to ask than experienced roadies such as you, reading this! The idea being that I could have additional goals/times to think about other than the 1 hour mark. By my reckoning pros could do this in 35 minutes (ish) but I was wondering what mere mortals would consider decent times.

Below is the route and also shows the Total ascent/descent if you hit the button in the bottom left hand corner. 18 miles, 750ft ascent.

http://gb.mapometer.com/cycling/route_1695664.html

It'd be interesting to see the differing levels of speed/fitness.
GT I-drive
Giant tcr composite

Comments

• jim55
    jim55 Posts: 93
    im rubbish ,,but id say if you can do 18 ml in an hr thats very good i usually take about 30 min for 7 ,,stopping at lights and stuff ,,if i didnt stop a wee bit faster but its not really gona make a big diff ,,id say yr doing well at that pace ,,to average 18 mph over that route ud need to b going some ,,prob a good club rider could do it in 50 min or thereabouts but not me :oops:
    btw is this just a willy waving thread hahhaha :D
  • golfergmc
    golfergmc Posts: 426
    I do a similar type of route 17.03 miles with 815ft ascent in roughly 55 minutes and i`m far from good, so your route is doable in under 1hr.
    Cervelo S5 Team 2012
    Scott Addict R2 2010
    Specialized Rockhopper Comp SL 2010
    Kona Tanuki Supreme
  • jim55 wrote:
    btw is this just a willy waving thread hahhaha :D

Haha, could turn out that way :twisted: if it starts any arguments I'm sure it'll be deleted!
    GT I-drive
    Giant tcr composite
  • anto164
    anto164 Posts: 3,500
    I would hope to do it in about 55min if i was going for a quick spin...

I'd say a typical answer would be to do it just over an hour, similar time to what you're doing it in. it's only 18mi, so you can push harder for an hour and get a nice pace on.
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    On a flat route like that I would hope to average about 21-23 mph (maybe a little quicker on the right day) on a road bike and a little bit quicker on a TT bike and I'm just an average Joe!
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Velonutter wrote:
    On a flat route like that I would hope to average about 21-23 mph (maybe a little quicker on the right day) on a road bike and a little bit quicker on a TT bike and I'm just an average Joe!
    23 mph. Average compared to who?
  • noodleman
    noodleman Posts: 852
    Here we go!!
    argon 18 e116 2013 Vision Metron 80
    Bianchi Oltre XR Sram Red E-tap, Fulcrum racing speed xlr
    De Rosa SK pininfarina disc
    S Works Tarmac e-tap 2017
    Rose pro sl disc
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    What time of day, how many traffic lights, those can be busy roads, with these in consideration anywhere between 50-70 mins would be ok.
  • I see a pro has entered the equation. Beginners forum remember.
  • I see a pro has entered the equation. Beginners forum remember.

Haha :D I'd actually be interested as to what time an experienced roadie would do this in. I am a beginner but obviously hope to improve fitness, technique etc.... Plus it may prove contentious :twisted:

Btw, I guessed a pro could do this in 35 minutes. Is that off the mark or realistic? Ty
    GT I-drive
    Giant tcr composite
  • I'd be aiming for the 55 minute mark on that course. I'd go out early on a Sunday morning to avoid traffic and aim to average about 20-21mph on the road bike. I'm not saying I'd hit it but that's what I'd be aiming for...
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    *gets c0ck out and prepares for helicopter action*

18 flat miles, on a good day with favourable lights and traffic. I would be looking to gun it (because it would be that kind of ride at such a short distance) and average ~20mph. So just under an hour for me. I'm not this sort of rider though - more endurance/climber so there will be guys on here who can do it quicker.

All that really matters though is that you improve on YOUR personal best.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • nhoj
    nhoj Posts: 129
    Ben6899 wrote:
    *gets c0ck out and prepares for helicopter action*
    As this course looks exposed, I fear the honourable member would suffer the wind. I estimate this effect to be equivalent to sticking a pencil into the airstream.
  • Bah! Can't upload image!!!
  • It doesn't matter how fast anyone else would be doing a course like this.
    Boardman could do this in about 35 mins but my mother would take 3 hours.....
    The important thing is that you have a marker. You know how fast YOU did this course in, repeat this test every couple of months and in years to come you can look back at the route and compare your latest performance to it. Hopefully you'll look at your first efforts and simply say WOW, I've improved dramatically.
    Keep a log so that you can look at various routes and keep it interesting.
    There's warp speed - then there's Storck Speed
  • BruceG
    BruceG Posts: 347
    Prob take me about 7 hours 55 mins. 3.5 hours to get there 55 mins to ride then 3.5 hours back home again.

Just for fun, as others have said as long as you know how long you take, and can use this as a yard to stick measure your improvement, that is all that really matters,
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    68 mins for your 17.99 mile route is pretty good for a beginner, as this works out at nearly an average 15.9 mph. If that is a solo ride (i.e. without the benefit of sharing drafting with another rider) it is not too bad at all. To beat an hour, an average of 18 mph, will be pretty tough in my opinion as the first half of your course looks mostly uphill.

Good luck in attempting to do it, but be assured you are already doing very well in my view.
  • i would be pretty chuffed if i did that in 55mins, i would expect on a good day to do it in a hour
    put the fun between your legs
  • Looks like a fairly flat route, i'd go for 20-22 on the road bike cant be arsed working out the time :P
    10 mile TT pb - 20:56 R10/17
    25 - 53:07 R25/7
    Now using strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/155152
  • Velonutter wrote:

I'd average a similar speed, but would expect to go alot quicker on the TT bike :P
  • Not sure wether i count as a newbie, been riding now for 2.5 years, do 600+ miles a month, but im no where near the speeds being touted. Im not overweight (BFI around 12%) and considering miles think im reasonably fit. My bike is reasonable spec (105 with Aksiums). I can get 20mph+ but when solo not for long. Is 20mph+ realistic for an average joe? My averages are closer to 16-17mph.
    Current Stock:
    Carrera Vanquish '08
    Orbea Onix T105 '11
    Carrera Fury '07
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    Will Nunez wrote:
    Not sure wether i count as a newbie, been riding now for 2.5 years, do 600+ miles a month, but im no where near the speeds being touted. Im not overweight (BFI around 12%) and considering miles think im reasonably fit. My bike is reasonable spec (105 with Aksiums). I can get 20mph+ but when solo not for long. Is 20mph+ realistic for an average joe? My averages are closer to 16-17mph.

There are real world averages then there are internet averages. Then there are real world averages taken on a float day on flat roads in optimal conditions that happened once 2 years ago :D

On undulating terrain then 20mph+ is not realistic for an average ride by an average joe - IME if someone regularly rides over 17 mph solo on undulating terrain then they going to be amongst the faster riders at most clubs.
  • nhoj
    nhoj Posts: 129
    Will Nunez wrote:
    Not sure wether i count as a newbie, been riding now for 2.5 years, do 600+ miles a month, but im no where near the speeds being touted. Im not overweight (BFI around 12%) and considering miles think im reasonably fit. My bike is reasonable spec (105 with Aksiums). I can get 20mph+ but when solo not for long. Is 20mph+ realistic for an average joe? My averages are closer to 16-17mph.
    Up until last year I was similar to you. I was always riding solo, doing hundreds of slow miles a month. I wouldn't think twice about cranking out a century ride and I wouldn't need to prepare for it. I wasn't fast, but I could ride all day. Then in the autumn last year I joined a club and saw how other people rode: shorter but faster. My mileage is less now and I'm slowly getting faster. Before, I would never have thought "I have to take it easy today because yesterday was a tough day". Now, if I have a hard, fast day, I need to let my legs recover the next day. I think you're well placed to increase your speed. You sound fit - 12 % body fat is great - and it sounds as if you have a good base mileage.

Do you have a route to test yourself on? One way to see immediate gains, if you're not doing it already, is to pace yourself: try to keep a steady effort, going slower than you might think on the uphills, so as not to go into the red and spend the next few miles recovering, but really pushing it on the downhills to stop your effort level from dropping.

Here are a number of drills you can use to help you increase speed:

http://www.flammerouge.je/content/3_factsheets/Drills/drills.htm
  • springtide9
    springtide9 Posts: 1,731
    Actions:

(1) Join Strava.com
    (2) Using a GPS Device (or Android or iPhone), track/record your ride.
    (3) Upload your data
    (4) Map out segments (specific hills etc)
    (4) Overtime, compare your data with your previous rides (and any riders that do the same segments)

I would say regarding the time/speed, that traffic would be a major factor in performance. A traffic light stop might impact the ride by say 2mins, and it takes a reasonably amount of additional effort to make up that amount of time.

There is a segment near my inlaws (less than half your distance) that I have created on an undulating road (B3098 Westbury to Littleton Panell) that is 8 miles with roughly 450ft of climbing. My average speed over this 8 mile section of road is probably +2-3 mph due to the lack of traffic lights.
    Simon
  • Thanks all, appreciate the replies. Il be doing the route tomorrow and will "gun" it to see what time I can get and then go from there.

@nhoj - the drills look good (and knackering)
    GT I-drive
    Giant tcr composite
  • Will Nunez wrote:

There are real world averages then there are internet averages. Then there are real world averages taken on a float day on flat roads in optimal conditions that happened once 2 years ago :D

On undulating terrain then 20mph+ is not realistic for an average ride by an average joe - IME if someone regularly rides over 17 mph solo on undulating terrain then they going to be amongst the faster riders at most clubs.

Why does everyone think you are telling porkies if you can average over 20 on a ride?
    I nearly always ride solo and an 18 mph average isnt difficult even over larger distances. Man up and mash the pedals :P
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    ^^^^
    Simples - 20mph average on flat terrrain = not that difficult, if reasonably fit & decent bike
    but 20mph on undulating terrain with any half-decent hills = problematic for most

Averaging 18mph is some way short of averaging 20mph - the 2mph differential does not sound that much but over a sustained period of time, the difference is considerable.
  • I do a very similar route, starting at Knaphill, and going straight on at Bisley, where you go left.

I average 19-20 mph normally, slow on the run back down towards knaphill though, with the roundabouts and lights.

It's a damn good route though, the climb up Gapemouth road is a great rolling climb, and the run down Red Road gets the big gears spinning!
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    Will Nunez wrote:

Why does everyone think you are telling porkies if you can average over 20 on a ride?
    I nearly always ride solo and an 18 mph average isnt difficult even over larger distances. Man up and mash the pedals :P
    I'm sure you are telling the truth about what you can do and not everyone is telling porkies, but some do seem to be exaggerating a bit. What gets me is people coming on saying things like averaging 20 mph is no problem for 50 miles or so riding solo. That might be the case if you are young, very fit or an experienced cyclist with lots of hard miles in your legs, but everyone, especially on a Beginners Fourm, is different ages, have different qualities of bikes and at different stages of cycling fitness. For a beginner doing a 10 mile Time Trial , I understand 30 mins (20 mph) is a good starter time to aim for - but that is going flat out on a flattish course for 10 miles. It is a bit different for us mere mortals trying to do 50 miles at that speed.

I am in my 50s and will be well pleased if I can get my averages up to over 15 mph on solo rides on hilly terrain this year on my new bike.
  • I think there should be a rule if you are going to quote speeds, then garmin / strava link should be a requirement :P