are you a giver - or a taker?

13»

Comments

• daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    What do you have to earn to be in the top 10%?

Within the topic:-
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Your household is in the tenth decile, where one has the least disposable income and ten has the most. Households from the 7th decile and above, on average, pay more in tax than they receive in benefits and services.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Doesn't answer the question though. What do you have to earn to be in the 10%. I'm asking for actual salary figure.

In any case we manage.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Doesn't answer the question though. What do you have to earn to be in the 10%. I'm asking for actual salary figure.

In any case we manage.

Average in 2008 was £18,500
    Top 25% was £29,500
    Top 10% £44,900
    Top 5% £61,500
    Top 1% £149,000
  • Always been in the giver bracket - I suppose I've been very lucky and never been unemployed from my 16th birthday until I retired in April last year. My pension precludes me from being able to make any claims for benefits of any kind (I think - as I'm under 65yrs) but I am just living within my means, so I don't think I need to claim any benefits. As DDD says - 'We manage'....
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,372
    Try putting in some different salaries and you can find out pretty quickly. For example, one partner earning just over the 40% threshold (professional in London) and one earning nothing (stay at home mum/dad) + two kids below school age - a common situation I'd have thought - puts the household in the 6th or 7th decile depending on the exact numbers.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Stone Glider
    Stone Glider Posts: 1,227
    This algorithm seems a bit of when much of your income is State Pension. When Mrs S G reaches entitlement we appear to pitch over from taker to giver but the extra income is 'given' by the State :? Is this left hand/right hand stuff or doesn't it stretch enough to take us into account?

BTW Mr Davies, that bicycle is only suitable for someone with the good taste to appreciate it - such as myself :wink:
    The older I get the faster I was
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,996
    JZed wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

In any case we manage.

Average in 2008 was £18,500
    Top 25% was £29,500
    Top 10% £44,900
    Top 5% £61,500
    Top 1% £149,000
    I wonder if these numbers have actually gone down since then.

I also wonder what they are in Scotland. :?

I thought mrs DDD was a lawyer and that all lawyers earned sh:t loads.
  • daviesee
    I also wonder what they are in Scotland. :?
    Small straw poll that is my experience, fairly similar. Actually, possibly low.

Why ask?

Edit:- Scotland 2008 - Average salary = 28296.

Source - http://www.heraldscotland.com/average-w ... w-1.895929

Dipped in 2010-2011 to 25620

Source - http://www.averagesalarysurvey.com/arti ... 30508.aspx

Which all keeps Scotland's average fairly close to the top 25%.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Certainly, public sector pay in Scotland used to be much higher than the rest of the country. Don't know if it still is.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • daviesee
    Rolf F wrote:
    Certainly, public sector pay in Scotland used to be much higher than the rest of the country. Don't know if it still is.
    Based on?
    I know that my wife's wages as a nurse are much less than they would be in London.
  • leodis75 wrote:
    Reopen the work houses and send the kids down the pits.

Raised a Laugh, something my Dad bangs on about! :wink:
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Rolf F wrote:

Is that due to purchasing power rather actually nominally higher?

If all teachers get paid the same in London and Scotland, you'd imagine the Scottish teachers would be better off for example.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,996
    Rolf F wrote:
    God almighty.

Its almost certainly something to do with the type of public sector jobs there are here - we have a disproportionate amount of local governance and I'm not sure if that's in the figures. MSP's get nearly as much as MP's to play in the sand pit and talk about what they'd like to do when they grow up.

Payscales in local authorities and teracher's pay and so on are pretty uniform throughout the UK though, with the exception of London.

Edinburgh is comparable to Oxford in cost of living (or certainly used to be) and my partner's pay scale is very similar to the one in Plymouth, which wansn't quite as expensive as Oxford.

Regarding average wages - in the UK as a whole its at least £26k I think (not the £18 mentioned above - that's silly), so Scotland is bang on the average. This isn't suprising. Certainly before all of the financial nonsense, there were more millionaires per capita in Edinburgh than in London (two major banks and a legal centre). Edinburgh represents about 15% of the population of Scotland, similar to London:England, I would guess. Glasgow is a dump but also has a vibrant professional centre. And then there's Aberdeen, which is a salary bubble. The rest is pretty rural, or within commuting distance.

In some ways, its interesting that average wages up here are only average - shows how little there is on offer elsewhere in the country.

However, wages for comparable jobs are much lower inthe private sector. In my field, I'd be getting about 15-20% more in England. In reality, this means the same or maybe 5% more on most of England, and about 30% more in London. Is London really 30% more expensive than Edinburgh?