are you a giver - or a taker?

Comments

• daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    On average, people with household incomes similar to yours have an annual balance of...
    £-12,433
    Your household is in the ninth decile, where one has the least disposable income and ten has the most. Households from the 7th decile and above, on average, pay more in tax than they receive in benefits and services.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Somebody owes me a damned fine bike!
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    daviesee wrote:
    On average, people with household incomes similar to yours have an annual balance of...
    £-12,433
    Your household is in the ninth decile, where one has the least disposable income and ten has the most. Households from the 7th decile and above, on average, pay more in tax than they receive in benefits and services.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Somebody owes me a damned fine bike!

+1

and that was my reaction as well...
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,372
    In short, there are a LOT of poor people, and I'm not one of them.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Well and truely a giver. However that changes 3 weeks on Friday.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • leodis75
    leodis75 Posts: 184
    £-5,457

Reopen the work houses and send the kids down the pits.

Pretty glad I didnt work hard at school and have a good job and earn loads then, shame the wife does ok. Might be best on the dole on min wage.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    £-12,433

Its nice to know I'm buying nappies for DDD though ;)
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    I'm down over £27k but we still get child benefit... so basically NSB, you are contributing to my kid's trust fund.

Cheers :)
  • clarkey cat
    I'll make sure he sends you a postcard when he's on his Gap Yar!
  • notsoblue
    I'm down over £27k but we still get child benefit... so basically NSB, you are contributing to my kid's trust fund.

Cheers :)

God damnit! That kid better end up being a nubile geriatric nurse...
  • -£27000 :(
    and that doesnt include my son who's 22, working as an intern for free all hours of the day and night and I'm covering his travel expenses into town and his lunches/evening meals because he won't claim JSA etc.
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    On average, people with household incomes similar to yours have an annual balance of...£-27,221. Your household is in the tenth decile, where one has the least disposable income and ten has the most. Households from the 7th decile and above, on average, pay more in tax than they receive in benefits and services.

what, really.... why am I searching for the mortgage at the end of the month?
  • daviesee
    PS:- My wife and I recieve zero cash benefits or tax credits.

What is considered to be benefits in these calculations?
    My total contribution could be up an extra 7k :evil:
  • clarkey cat

somehow the image of my grown-up baby boy wiping your backside while lithely performing some flirtatious routine to your lecherous elderly self is one I'm having difficulty reconciling with the aspirations I have for his future.
  • clarkey cat

police, fire service, council services, NHS etc?
  • notsoblue

somehow the image of my grown-up baby boy wiping your backside while lithely performing some flirtatious routine to your lecherous elderly self is one I'm having difficulty reconciling with the aspirations I have for his future.

And *that* my friends is entitlement culture in a nutshell.

This country has gone to the dogs I tell you...
  • clarkey cat
    :P

nice one
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    edited January 2012
    On average, people with household incomes similar to yours have an annual balance of... £-27,221 Your household is in the tenth decile, where one has the least disposable income and ten has the most. Households from the 7th decile and above, on average, pay more in tax than they receive in benefits and services.

Not really a surprise as we both work and have no kids. I have nowhere near that disposable income though.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • daviesee

police, fire service, council services, NHS etc?

That would take care of the 7k which I am happy with but they could explain better what "benefits" means.
    I am still owed a mighty fine bike though :wink:
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636

I'm sure he'll take after his Dad in more than these respects though.
  • rjsterry
    Just to check, are you guys putting in your other half's earnings as well? the calculator is weighted for 'households' rather than individuals, so it makes you look richer than you are if you only put in your own figures.

Or you might just be minted.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• clarkey cat
    This doesn't take into account the amount of money I have taken out of the NHS over the years with the attention required to keep my frail physiology from collapsing.

So cheers everyone!
  • daviesee
    rjsterry wrote:
    Just to check, are you guys putting in your other half's earnings as well? the calculator is weighted for 'households' rather than individuals, so it makes you look richer than you are if you only put in your own figures.

My figures were for the household.
  • rjsterry
    There's also no 'London cost of living' weighting, so it may underestimate your costs if you are in London.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• sketchley
    It's very generic, adding my wife didn't make any difference I was instantly placed in that group.
    --
    Chris

• notsoblue
    rjsterry wrote:

Untitled-1.jpg
  • My figures were for the whole household..but i tested with and without, made no difference. I guess above a certain amount in total the 'givings' are fixed.

I've used the NHS maybe 10 times in 30 years and despite having 3 kids only used state education for 6 of the possible 39 years... so reckon I'm really owed a HUGE rebate sometime... where do I apply?
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • sketchley
    Looking on line the government spending per head is around £10.5 in Scotland.= and £9.5k in rest of UK. Link is here not that I trust the source you understand http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... glish.html. Back of the fag packet maths mean my household pays in around £11k a year assuming we get £9.5k of benefits each which we do not.
    --
    Chris

• gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Went from -27 to -12 when my wife changed from full-time to part-time......

Still....whoa!
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    Sketchley wrote:
    On average, people with household incomes similar to yours have an annual balance of... £-27,221 Your household is in the tenth decile, where one has the least disposable income and ten has the most. Households from the 7th decile and above, on average, pay more in tax than they receive in benefits and services.

Not really a surprise as we both work and have no kids. I have nowhere near that disposable income though.

Same for me/us. I also seem to have mislaid all that disposable cash I supposedly have!
  • Opened this thread in page 2, and the first thing I saw was:
    Sketchley wrote:
    It's very generic, adding my wife didn't make any difference I was instantly placed in that group.

This thread at that point seemed to offer so much.

Then I read it. And if offers so very little. :wink:
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A