OT: Football Premiership Title Race

2»

Comments

• Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    I thought Suarez had admitted saying it numerous times? It wasn't just once. The whole being racist is irrelevant, you can't ever prove someone is racist as you don't know what goes on in their head. He was making comments that were deemed racist and has been duely punished with what I believe is an appropriate sentence.

As for Terry, just because he has played with black players doesn't mean he wouldn't make a racist comment. Never, ever, underestimate the stupidity of a footballer...

Nope just the once, it's in the actual FA document not the recycled horse$hit the press churned out
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Ben6899 wrote:

I have long been a fan of Wenger's talent for spotting excellent, young lads (on a par with Fergie - some of Fergie's big name signings tend to disguise the fact he has discovered some excellent young talent), but now he is almost being stubborn about the whole thing. He's needed two QUALITY centre-halves for 5-years or so and he has finally scraped the surface of that particular problem with Vermaelen, who is stand-out amongst the current defensive ranks.

And he sold Clichey without much resistance. After Evra and Cole, the third best leftback in the league.

Thing is other clubs have caught up with what Arsenal did back in the Anelka finding days and have improved and increased the range of there own scouting networks while also creating affiliations with other clubs like Arsenal did.

It's telling that in recent times two of Arsenal's most promising youngsters cost the club a combined £24million (Walcott and Oxlade-Chamberlin).
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,116
    I want to see Chelski miss out this season, mainly because the wife is an avid supporter and she's insufferable when they win anything. I suppose I can't complain too much in having a football loving other half, but being a 'Boro fan I don't get much chance to rub her nose in it (footy-wise)....
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,996
    suzyb wrote:
    Man U because teams that always win stuff annoy me.
    So you don't like Rangers or Celtic? Isn't that tantamount to suicide in your neck of the woods?

Oh, and Arsenal fans- get over it. No one else cares.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,341
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I need Arsenal to finish 5th. Why?

Finishing 4th or within the top four will just gloss over the obvious failings of the team as it has done in previous years and won't bring forth the massive overhaul we need to be successful.

Finishing 5th would:

Force the regime (Arsene, the Board and the ridiculous transfer policy) to question their principles and policy.

Give the players a wake up call that simply playing for Arsenal doesn't make them as good as Henry, Viera, Pires et al. It would also remove the "potential, kids, developing" label/excuse and might actually get the players to play to the level and ability the manager believes they might have.

Likely force all those who are just there for money or want better contracts to leave.

Lastly Europa football would be good for the team, we'd likely win that (our players are good enough for that competition) and winning something/anything would give the remianing crop of players the drive and sense of success they are so clearly lacking.

In Arsene I trust but a little failure can be motivational in the long run.

Bonkers.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Finishing 4th or within the top four will just gloss over the obvious failings of the team as it has done in previous years and won't bring forth the massive overhaul we need to be successful.

Finishing 5th would:

Force the regime (Arsene, the Board and the ridiculous transfer policy) to question their principles and policy.

Give the players a wake up call that simply playing for Arsenal doesn't make them as good as Henry, Viera, Pires et al. It would also remove the "potential, kids, developing" label/excuse and might actually get the players to play to the level and ability the manager believes they might have.

Likely force all those who are just there for money or want better contracts to leave.

Lastly Europa football would be good for the team, we'd likely win that (our players are good enough for that competition) and winning something/anything would give the remianing crop of players the drive and sense of success they are so clearly lacking.

Bonkers.

Why?

After our last trophy we have never finished outside the top four. What has that gotten us? Where has it gotten us? The team/club hass become stagnant. We've become lost in the nostaligia of our best ever team of some 6 years ago. We've never been able to surpass them or move on from them and we are still riding on the memory of how good they were while hopining that the current teams potential comes close to that team.

I can't help feel that the current crop of players are still riding the coat tails of Ljunberg, Pires, Henry et al. That when Arshavin gets the ball he'll somehow do a Ljunberg or a Pires or even a Helb (for that one season)... That Song will make a piercing Vieira run. They won't he's Arshavin and he is Song. These players, this team need to make their own name, their own legacy. They need to start from the beginning like that team did.

Finishing in the top four, not challenging for the league cup and not winning anything ever doesn't help. Do you know what winning a trophy, any trophy will do for these players in helping them believe and achieve their potential?

But no we'll finishing in the top four, we'll get Champions League Football and it will yet again gloss over our frailty while giving a misleading belief that somehow next year "with all our players fit and with more mental strength" we'll do one better. We won't. We've slipped down the pecking order and despite this we still won't change our policy, we still won't buy the players necessary to improve the squad. We still try to flog the same damn f*cking horse instead of cutting our loses and adjusting the game plan ever so slightly.

That being the case a kick up the bum is needed. Arsenal finish 5th, players who want to join Citeh for money can go, players who want to play for Arsenal can come and those that want to stay will be loved.

And when did finishing within the top four become an achievement? Wasn't it about winning the league? Finishing in the top four is about financial glory. I'd much rather take the hit finish 5th and win the Europa League next season than win nothing this season, finish 4th and win nothing next season.

So please.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,341
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Finishing 5th would:

Bonkers.

Why?

After our last trophy we have never finished outside the top four. What has that gotten us? Where has it gotten us? The team/club hass become stagnant. We've become lost in the nostaligia of our best ever team of some 6 years ago. We've never been able to surpass them or move on from them and we are still riding on the memory of how good they were while hopining that the current teams potential comes close to that team.

I can't help feel that the current crop of players are still riding the coat tails of Ljunberg, Pires, Henry et al. That when Arshavin gets the ball he'll somehow do a Ljunberg or a Pires or even a Helb (for that one season)... That Song will make a piercing Vieira run. They won't he's Arshavin and he is Song. These players, this team need to make their own name, their own legacy. They need to start from the beginning like that team did.

Finishing in the top four, not challenging for the league cup and not winning anything ever doesn't help. Do you know what winning a trophy, any trophy will do for these players in helping them believe and achieve their potential?

But no we'll finishing in the top four, we'll get Champions League Football and it will yet again gloss over our frailty while giving a misleading belief that somehow next year "with all our players fit and with more mental strength" we'll do one better. We won't. We've slipped down the pecking order and despite this we still won't change our policy, we still won't buy the players necessary to improve the squad. We still try to flog the same damn f*cking horse instead of cutting our loses and adjusting the game plan ever so slightly.

That being the case a kick up the bum is needed. Arsenal finish 5th, players who want to join Citeh for money can go, players who want to play for Arsenal can come and those that want to stay will be loved.

And when did finishing within the top four become an achievement? Wasn't it about winning the league? Finishing in the top four is about financial glory. I'd much rather take the hit finish 5th and win the Europa League next season than win nothing this season, finish 4th and win nothing next season.

So please.

In no particular order

Finishing outside the top 4 means no Champions League.

See that transfer money you want Wenger to spend....take £30 - £40 million a year out of it.

Let's say you finish 4th you may get the mass exodus of players such there for the cash. More likely you'll lose the players who want Champions League football.

Who ya gonna sign? Hard to attact qulaity players without the promise of CL.

The Europa League is a long, long competition. From first round to final is 347 matchs (or something). The assumption that Arsenal would win is flawed and grossly underestimates the other teams in the competition

Finish outside the top 4 this year and it will be a long time until they're back.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • DonDaddyD
    In no particular order

Finishing outside the top 4 means no Champions League.

See that transfer money you want Wenger to spend....take £30 - £40 million a year out of it.

Let's say you finish 4th you may get the mass exodus of players such there for the cash. More likely you'll lose the players who want Champions League football.

Who ya gonna sign? Hard to attact qulaity players without the promise of CL.

The Europa League is a long, long competition. From first round to final is 347 matchs (or something). The assumption that Arsenal would win is flawed and grossly underestimates the other teams in the competition

Finish outside the top 4 this year and it will be a long time until they're back.

In order of your points

Wenger has the transfger budget and it would likely take a hit, but considering he has yet to spend the Nasri/Fabregas money and the pot was sitting around the £50mil arena anyway I doubt we'd loose £30 - £40mil. Remember this is Arsenal our funds are managed properly. It wouldn't be a financial disaster if we didn't get Champ League Football for one season.

I don't want players who are only there to play Champions League Football. If we finish 4th or 5th Van Persie would leave, that would hurt but he was likely to leave anyway. Arshavin would go. :shock: Anyone else can frankly leave it's more about the players who wouldn't leave Wiltshire, Ramsey, Gervinho, Song, Arteta, Koscelny (sp), Santos and Mertesacker (probably not Sagna and Vermalean) would all likely stay. Lets build with that.

We would sign players who want to play for Arsenal and who are keen to push for a top 4 spot. Liverpool and Tottenham have managed to sign players while not always being in the top 4. Simply not being in the top 4 doesn't automatically mean no one will sign for you. RVP.

Arsenal have more chance of winning the Europa League than the Champions League. Fact.
    Food Chain number = 4

• NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    I'm a Middlesbrough fan so I therefore think none of those teams should be there and should be replaced by the Mighty Boro and Billingham Synthonia. :lol:
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    I want to see Chelski miss out this season, mainly because the wife is an avid supporter and she's insufferable when they win anything. I suppose I can't complain too much in having a football loving other half, but being a 'Boro fan I don't get much chance to rub her nose in it (footy-wise)....
    by NGale » 24 Jan 2012 13:25
    I'm a Middlesbrough fan so I therefore think none of those teams should be there and should be replaced by the Mighty Boro and Billingham Synthonia

My word is there 3 of us on this board?

C'mon Boro.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    Arsenal have more chance of winning the Europa League than the Champions League. Fact.

This year at least so do Man Utd and City :wink:
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • t4tomo wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    I'm a Middlesbrough fan so I therefore think none of those teams should be there and should be replaced by the Mighty Boro and Billingham Synthonia

C'mon Boro.

I tend to dress that way too. Believe Undercover Elephant also has smoggy sympathies.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Chelsea. Because the whole establishment lacks any class whatsoever - built with money from questionable sources and defending a racist staff member to the hilt.

+1

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    We would sign players who want to play for Arsenal and who are keen to push for a top 4 spot. Liverpool and Tottenham have managed to sign players while not always being in the top 4. Simply not being in the top 4 doesn't automatically mean no one will sign for you. RVP.

Since we missed out on europe we signed Downing, Henderson(very young admittedly) & Adam who signed from 'lower' prem clubs at a price. only Bellamy and Enrique have looked like they would cope with europe if we get there at the end of the season.

Surely you want a player that wants to play in the CL, ambitious players are what you need to help you succeed.

The player loyalty thing is overplayed. It's a job at the end of the day.
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    In answer to the original question - Chelsea to miss out, purely because with all due respect to Jack Walker, they sort of started the "lets buy the Premiership title" game turing it into a silly pastime for overseas billionaires with their newly acquired toys.

Once upon a time the likes of Boro could live more or less within their means and compete in the top half of the premiership.

Role on the whatever the Fifa / Uefa financing rules are called, although I'm sure there will be a way around them or it will be ignored.

Oh and I'd be very surprised if John Terry wasn't a racist, he's a complete arrogant yob and a miserable impersonation of a human being, and thats just based on the stuff that has been published in the press, I'm sure there is a load more stuff that hasn't been allowed to be published.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    t4tomo wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

C'mon Boro.

I tend to dress that way too. Believe Undercover Elephant also has smoggy sympathies.

well some of us have to be daft enough to support them :lol:

Jake being a pillock when it comes to football thought I was a Sheffield United fan and his only reasoning for that was 'well it's somewhere in the north isn't it?!' :shock:
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    So now regular top 4 PL finishes count as failure? I'm a dyed in the wool ABU (anyone but united) and was cheering & dancing in the pub with complete strangers on Sunday when RVP equalised, but fans have lost sight of football these days, some have anyway. My gripe with the glory-hunting scum who support united with a passion but live 200 miles away and have never been anywhere near OT is that they've opted out of the normal fans' ups & downs - the occasional unexpected win, a cup run all the way to the 5th round being a success, promotion, relegation, the business at 5 to 5 on Saturday of actually and genuinely wondering if they've held onto that 2-0 HT lead etc. Glory hunters have opted out of all that, and then have the gall to take collective responsibility for the seemingly endless run of victories.

For red scum fans and others, failure is dropping the first point of the season in October or not being 8 points clear at Christmas. And for those of us who grew up watching first & second division football where very season was abject failure, fair to middling or the occasional success (beating cov being the ultimate high) with the odd promotion thrown in, who stuck with it because it's where we live and just 'who we support round here', watching some spiv with a cockernee accent treating Wayne 'Exploding Boots' Rooney [see him fly through the air with the greatest of ease] as a close personal friend strikes me as a bit rum.

Still Citeh (the proper ones) beat Southampton last night so today, all is well.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    CiB wrote:
    So now regular top 4 PL finishes count as failure? I'm a dyed in the wool ABU (anyone but united) and was cheering & dancing in the pub with complete strangers on Sunday when RVP equalised...

ABU hatred adds to the shine of every United win. Just sayin'...
    CiB wrote:
    ... but fans have lost sight of football these days, some have anyway. My gripe with the glory-hunting scum who support united with a passion but live 200 miles away and have never been anywhere near OT is that they've opted out of the normal fans' ups & downs - the occasional unexpected win, a cup run all the way to the 5th round being a success, promotion, relegation, the business at 5 to 5 on Saturday of actually and genuinely wondering if they've held onto that 2-0 HT lead etc. Glory hunters have opted out of all that, and then have the gall to take collective responsibility for the seemingly endless run of victories.

For red scum fans and others, failure is dropping the first point of the season in October or not being 8 points clear at Christmas. And for those of us who grew up watching first & second division football where very season was abject failure, fair to middling or the occasional success (beating cov being the ultimate high) with the odd promotion thrown in, who stuck with it because it's where we live and just 'who we support round here', watching some spiv with a cockernee accent treating Wayne 'Exploding Boots' Rooney [see him fly through the air with the greatest of ease] as a close personal friend strikes me as a bit rum.

I am a United supporter and I agree with everything in those two paragraphs. I have sat next to some complete helmets at Old Trafford and I have endured misguided opinions down the pub from middle aged blokes in United shirts.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • DonDaddyD
    Clever Pun wrote:
    It's a job at the end of the day.

You had a point that fell apart when you wrote this.

The above sums up everything wrong with Liverpool at the moment. Liverpool was a club built on the shoulder of players for who, playing for a club wasn't just a job.

It is a shame that Steven Gerrard is a dying breed.
    Food Chain number = 4

• secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    CiB wrote:
    Still Citeh (the proper ones) beat Southampton last night so today, all is well.

The mighty reds didn't play last night, and anyway, we've done Soton home and away this season already, are they letting us have a 3rd go????? :)

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    edited January 2012
    t4tomo wrote:
    In answer to the original question - Chelsea to miss out, purely because with all due respect to Jack Walker, they sort of started the "lets buy the Premiership title" game turing it into a silly pastime for overseas billionaires with their newly acquired toys.

Once upon a time the likes of Boro could live more or less within their means and compete in the top half of the premiership.

Role on the whatever the Fifa / Uefa financing rules are called, although I'm sure there will be a way around them or it will be ignored.

Oh and I'd be very surprised if John Terry wasn't a racist, he's a complete arrogant yob and a miserable impersonation of a human being, and thats just based on the stuff that has been published in the press, I'm sure there is a load more stuff that hasn't been allowed to be published.

I seem to remember some similar drivel to this a little while ago. Football did not begin with the Premiership/Sky partnership. Teams were spending fortunes (relatively) to be succesful for many many years, buying million pound players while Chelsea were yo-yoing between Div 1 and 2 and the supporters were puttting their spare change in old oil drums to help keep the club alive. And let's not have all the old nonsense that it was ' their own money'. I am sure the Moores family dipped into their personal/Littlewoods fortune to help buy the best players and pay the top wages of the day.

So you carry on believing Chelsea were the first club to ever spend to be successful if it helps you get over the pain of '97. :wink:

As for John Terry, let's hope the jury/magistrate he has to face are not as certain they know him, as you seem to be. He at least deserves a fair trial, which he wouldn't get with you. If he is found guilty then he deserves to face the full consequences of the law, and losing the England and Chelsea armbands.

As for "I'm sure there is a load more stuff that hasn't been allowed to be published" !!!! :shock: Why would it not be allowed to be published? Are the 'known' reasons you dislike him so much, not enough? You have to imagine there are worse things that you don't know about! So you can dislike him even more. You sound like Donald Rumsfeld.

Good luck this season.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    suzyb wrote:
    Man U because teams that always win stuff annoy me.
    So you don't like Rangers or Celtic? Isn't that tantamount to suicide in your neck of the woods?

Oh, and Arsenal fans- get over it. No one else cares.
    No I don't like them, I detest them in fact. And their bigotted f***wit fans (the ones that are bigotted f***wits, I know that doesn't apply to all supporters of those teams).

It isn't really sucide not to like them however. In fact it's probably safer, unless it's manager stealing Aberdeen you support (Rangers and them have a bit of rivalry as well) or one of the Edinburgh clubs.