Boardman AiR 9.8 - Build Finished

Comments

• tigerben
    tigerben Posts: 233
    Mmmm bike envy. Looks awesome.
  • dawebbo
    dawebbo Posts: 456
    Pseudonym wrote:
    'Close ratio' gears have nothing to do with it. If he's built the bike to race on, then a 50 big ring will not be a limitation in club-level road races....if he hasn't built it for racing then it doesn't matter anyway...

What are you talking about? I never mentioned anything about limitations of gears, or racing for that matter. I was talking about the closer gears, i.e. 13/14/15, meaning it's easier to find the gear that spot on for the cadence you want at the appropriate speed and an aero bike would imply that you want to go fast.
  • Pseudonym
    Pseudonym Posts: 1,032
    right, so if you were talking about the block on the back (which appears normal 'close ratio' anyway) why did you even mention the compact chainset..?

Interesting proposition about having an aero bike meaning you 'want to go fast'. Would owning a non-aero bike imply that you 'want to go slow'..?? I like to ride fast on my non-aero bike - should I not be doing this..?
  • dawebbo
    If you don't even understand how the chainset and cassette interacts then I fear I'd be wasting my time explaining.
  • Pseudonym wrote:
    right, so if you were talking about the block on the back (which appears normal 'close ratio' anyway) why did you even mention the compact chainset..?

lol .. that's what i thought.

Anyway, to answer the question that made no sense .. i have a compact because i live in Cornwall and a 50x11 is good enough for around 35mph @ 110rpm ... that's fast enough for me :)
  • dawebbo
    A 11-25, is essentially a 11-23 by losing a 16 and gaining a 25. Which is fine if you want the 11 and 25 for the hills. However this means that your "close" gears are 13/14/15, as the jump to 11 or 12 is more notable.

So in the 40kpm+ range the 53 ring would be allow you a find nicer cadence, where as in the 50 you may be jumping between the 12 and 13, which is a bigger gap in effort. And it's when you get to 40kpm+ when the aero benefit starts to kick in... hence why question.
  • Pseudonym
    dawebbo wrote:
    If you don't even understand how the chainset and cassette interacts then I fear I'd be wasting my time explaining.

I think you'd be wasting your time anyway fella, 'cos I'm not really interested. You carry on quoting your theories, while the rest of us get on with riding our bikes using the gears we already have.... ;)

I've ridden many races on a compact with 12-25 on the back - and it's never once occurred to me that I might need another gear in the middle of the block somewhere...
  • dawebbo
    Pseudonym wrote:
    dawebbo wrote:

I think you'd be wasting your time anyway fella, 'cos I'm not really interested. You carry on quoting your theories, while the rest of us get on with riding our bikes using the gears we already have.... ;)

Posting on an internet forum is riding your bike? That's news to me. Not really sure what you are trying to achieve by blindly defending something that you clearly don't understand. And besides, it was a genuine question rather than big ring macho-ness, so not sure why you felt the need to butt in in the first place.
  • Pseudonym
    I'm not the one who butted-in with the bizarre 'close ratio' analogy though, am I..? Anyway, back to the bikes....
  • dawebbo
    If you post your bike on here for critique, surely you'd expect people to question the choices that you've made on it. I don't think questioning why he's put sportive gearing on an aero race bike is bizarre.
  • Pseudonym
    dawebbo wrote:
    If you post your bike on here for critique, surely you'd expect people to question the choices that you've made on it. I don't think questioning why he's put sportive gearing on an aero race bike is bizarre.

There's a subtle undertone of snobbery in your posts, mate. 50/34 and 11/25 is not 'sportive' gearing. It may indeed be suitable for sportives, but it won't be a disadvantage in club-level racing. I already said that, but you must have missed it.
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Very nice.
    Few more pics!
  • tremayne
    tremayne Posts: 378
    Lovely lovely bike. Per previous comments, possibly the nicest looking Boardman I've seen. Great frame and great execution of the build. Not sure how could be significantly bettered.

Someone talking about it being dimished by compact chainset? Only one possible response to this...... get over yourself!!
  • tremayne
    tremayne Posts: 378
    oh - perhaps dump the red/black stem asap?
  • nathancom
    nathancom Posts: 1,567
    looks great with the SRAM Red lte shifters and mechs, but why not on the cranks too?
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Cornish-J wrote:
    oh btw Nap - i hope my pictures comply with the strict rules :D

sorry to interject but I don't think they do, IIRC cranks should either be in line with the seat tube or chainstays. For this transgression you must forfeit the bike to me!!

Lovely bike.

Ignore this dunce. I'd refer you to rule 26. And whilst you're there you will needing to some work to comply with Rule 8. White tape with black saddle and tyres, what were you thinking? White saddle and white tape to match the logos then fair enough, but not as it stands ;)
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • ajmitchell
    ajmitchell Posts: 203
    Wonderful bike, nice finish. I am a Boradman elite series fan. I went for the SLR 9.4 because of the slightly lighter weight following an amazing deal thats now expired. The only thing I am slightly disappointed with is the finish on the carbon is not perfect but patchy, only really seen in real life, not in pics, have you had this?

On the gearing front, my SLR9.4 came with a standard SRAM red 53/39. I wouldnt mind a compact at all and might change my inner ring for a 42 or 44. For most people a compact is probably better but I do agree that a close ratio cassette is also preferable for fine changes (I personally hate 2t leaps except to the lowest gear). Yet at the end of the day gear choice is personal.

Back to your awesome machine, the only thing I would do is change to black tape for a more stealthy look. On this note, I have found that double taping is a great way to go because the weight gain is negligible but you can easily change colour and add padding and extend the life.
  • Nice one..
    Scott Scale 40
  • Cornish-J
    Cornish-J Posts: 978
    Thanks guys, with regards to the patchy finish, thats what you will get with UD carbon.

i tried to find some compact LTD cranks but couldnt find any :( got bored of waiting so just went for the standard ones.
  • bristolpete
    bristolpete Posts: 2,255
    I am running 53/39 on the Venge on somedays I run out of puff, but its doable, though if I were in Cornwall I would have compact all day long mate.

I saw a local road guy with 16-27 on this training bike and thought that works a treat - the ratios are top bobbin, really close together without have something tiny like 12-23.
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    Flasher wrote:
    Lovely, by far the nicest Boardman I've seen 8)
    agreed - very nice indeed
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • ovi
    ovi Posts: 396
    Stunning bike! A big middle finger up to all the Boardman haters out there!
    Out of curiosity what is the problem with boardman bikes? they seem fine to me.
  • Cornish-J
    They've been associated with halfords, although none of the elite range are sold by halfords.
  • Mad Roadie
    Mad Roadie Posts: 710
    ovi wrote:
    Stunning bike! A big middle finger up to all the Boardman haters out there!
    Out of curiosity what is the problem with boardman bikes? they seem fine to me.
    Odd isn't it - I think its the Halfords thing - excellent VFM, which is a factor in other's justification for Planet X or Canyon... would rather a Boardman than a Planet X any day
  • Ber Nard
    Ber Nard Posts: 827
    Bit of a steep asking price considering it's a second hand bike and this comment:
    Cornish-J wrote:
    Best of all, my spec is, imo better than boardmans version of the complete bike @ £5000 .. and mine cost a hell of a lot less than that :D

Rob
  • Cornish-J
    500quid less than the rrp, better spec and ALL PARTS done less than 400 miles .. i dont think it's steep.
  • Cornish-J
    still available!
  • saprkzz
    saprkzz Posts: 592
    Such an amazing bike!!

Can I ask why your selling so soon after building?