getting myself fit and my goals

dave2003trek
dave2003trek Posts: 257
Hello all

my names dave im 24 a few years ago i was doing downhill racing around the country but stopped due to work commitments. Im now back in the country for the foreseeable future and i'd like to start riding again.

I'm looking for a road bike rather then a downhill/mountain bike. As i would quite like to get into road riding/racing

my plan is to get a road bike. PLANET X PRO CARBON. and start training and hopfully become fit enough to do some cat4 races. At the moment i'm 249lb so not a light bloke. most of that being on my gut. if i ride to work and back 5 days a week 14 miles round trip and i do a longer ride on saturday and rest on sunday. do you think i could move some of this weight and be fit and light enough to enter some cat4 races later this year?. of course this would be more down to holding the pace 20ish mph for the length of the race???

would me riding this much be good enough to shift weight and to improve on my current riding ability? ive never had a road bike before so not sure on what i can achieve at the moment im use to riding on 2.5/3inch tires and a bike that weighs 25 kg 3 times as much as the carbon one im looking at, and i can keep at around 12mph for 8 miles to work on this bike thats with no SPD's and 8inch of rear and front suspension bounce

Of course my food intake plays a big part of my weight gain but this can be fixed easy enough

thanks for any reply i get that helps me in anyway.

Comments

• t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    It takes a strong person to stand in front of a mirror and decide that you don't like what it looking back at you. So congratulations on taking the initial step.

Your commute is a good starter point for promoting weight loss and you could funk it up by creating intervals within that. This would be a timed hard effort and 2x effort time = recovery period. Something as simple as hard effort between traffic light sets then recover for the next set. Don't be afraid to take more than 1 days rest either.

Although you didn't post it,your diet probably needs work but you seem aware of this already. It may be worthwhile going for a quick checkup with your GP first off,just so there are no underlying issues that could flare up.

A decent starting point is http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/ | work out your calorie needs: http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calcu ... -equation/ | create a safe deficit: http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calcu ... weight.php

Your diet comes after that of course. Good luck :)
  • Hi and thank you for your nice post

I have actully already done my BMR and cal intake and it came out as 2800 to keep my weight where it is

with a BMR x 1.55 it comes out as a masive 3690

Do you think an RDA of 2500cal for men would be a good deficit from my 3690

on paper it should work out as losing 2lb a week

or could a bigger deficit be done..... i dont think i eat bad its just the size of mealsand the choco bars i eat each day. so it's not i have to change what i eat just cut down. dont really eat that many take aways maybe once a week and its a chinese and not a dirty mc donalds or anything hehe.... so i think the change will be easy enough.... ps before xmas i weighed 18stone and now im 17stone 11 so ive done somthing some where already lol
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    Theres no concrete deficit rule for everyone but looking at that (in my non professional opinion) 2900 would be a good starting point(this is a 20% deficit). You don't want to go into too much of a deficit to start in case your loss plateaus you need somewhere to further reduce from.

Obviously if you lose 25lbs then your BMR will change as will the deficit,but that is a few months away yet.
  • siamon
    siamon Posts: 274
    250lb is quite a high starting point. At 1-2lb loss per week you could still be 200lb this time next year. A mate of mine dropped 3 stone in 2 months on one of these fad milkshake + one meal per day diets. I know folk say avoid them like the plague but the results were unbelievable. However, his discipline was incredible. He completely changed his whole regime (and stuck to the new one religiously), the 11 oclock daily snickers, gone, as were the 12 pints on Friday & Saturday nights & the fags. Once the flab had gone he started exercising and now he is a complete food, fitness and health Nazi. Depends how desperate you are to shift it mate. Good luck anyway!
  • ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    2500 should be ok for you - but it will take willpower to avoid bigger portions/topping up 'because you're exercising'. If you're in a rush start there and see how it goes - weight wise and energy wise. Manke sure that as many calories possible are 'good' ones - friut & veg, lean protein and qauality carbs (wholegrain bread & potatoes - no pasta!!) Good luck!
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    2500 should be ok for you - but it will take willpower to avoid bigger portions/topping up 'because you're exercising'. If you're in a rush start there and see how it goes - weight wise and energy wise. Manke sure that as many calories possible are 'good' ones - friut & veg, lean protein and qauality carbs (wholegrain bread & potatoes - no pasta!!) Good luck!

1200 deficit is very large considering size and activity level at this point. Please explain why no pasta?
  • love pasta. In the past ive had pasta as a main food when training probs became a point when it was everyday alongside tuna or veg chicken turkey and white fish.

The arument people have with pasta is i think the sauces that can go with them some are real bad for you from a weight loss point of view....... i've eaten mine with no sauce in the past and im happy to do this again
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    love pasta. In the past ive had pasta as a main food when training probs became a point when it was everyday alongside tuna or veg chicken turkey and white fish.

The arument people have with pasta is i think the sauces that can go with them some are real bad for you from a weight loss point of view....... i've eaten mine with no sauce in the past and im happy to do this again
    I snack on tins of tuna :D

Pasta and rice make up 3-4 of my 7 main meals a week. Although I eat my main meal at lunchtime pre gym with a small snack after gym and a small meal at usual time.

I'm hovvering 2600 on activity days :O
  • siamon wrote:
    250lb is quite a high starting point. At 1-2lb loss per week you could still be 200lb this time next year. A mate of mine dropped 3 stone in 2 months on one of these fad milkshake + one meal per day diets. I know folk say avoid them like the plague but the results were unbelievable. However, his discipline was incredible. He completely changed his whole regime (and stuck to the new one religiously), the 11 oclock daily snickers, gone, as were the 12 pints on Friday & Saturday nights & the fags. Once the flab had gone he started exercising and now he is a complete food, fitness and health Nazi. Depends how desperate you are to shift it mate. Good luck anyway!

Iv'e also heard bad things about the diets and tbh i see no need to go on a crash diet. in my view as ive seen else where it works for the length of time your doing it and as soon as you stop it comes back again losing weight IMHO aint about crashing its about life changes

and if i was 200lb heck thats still 14stone 7lb alot lighter then my current 17 stone 11

if i can do 2lb a week that would take me to 10 stone 6 if i get anwhere in the middle of those figures ill be a happy man

things will slow down the more i lose i'm never going to be 10 stone 11 i just dont have the body for it but between 12 and 13 stone ill be super happy with. i mean lance armstrong is 157 lb 11stone 5ish lb and he's shorter then me so there is hope for me lol
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    Dave, mind if I ask - how tall are you?

Away from nutrition - I would say, make the most of your commutes - especially the ride home. Push yourself a bit on those ones. Then try and find a buddy to ride with and do some endurance rides on the weekend - even 40 miles is a great start.

Be really careful not to cut too much good food out, but by all means lose the choccie bars etc.. I probably don't have to tell you, but in cycling (combined with aiming for weight loss) it's all too easy to become obsessed by under eating and over training, I've done it myself and it really isn't a good place to be.
  • No not at all im 5 11''

Their is a guy at work who goes riding about 5 days a week with different groups of people from pro's to 70 year old men.... so ill try and keep up with the 70 year olds :)

..... i can see myself now.... ''bloody hell slow down your going to fast''

so yeah the guy at work is more then happy to take me under his wing, been banned off his pinarello though lol
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    Cheesy advice: Just get out there and have fun!
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    I snack on tins of tuna

One thing I would say is dont do this, unless you want mercury poisoning!

Maybe eat it 3 times a week, rather than 3 times per day.
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    I didn't mean every snack everyday lol. I like tuna but not that much :D
  • islwyn
    islwyn Posts: 650
    I didn't mean every snack everyday lol. I like tuna but not that much :D

Hahahaha.... You'll turn into a tuna!

dave2003trek, out of curiosity where do you live? Maybe it's close to a member and they wouldn't mind going out with you etc! I always find I work 10 times harder when riding with someone else.